Boycott the City Game?

Date online: 12 July 2012 - chronicle

MARIO Balotelli and company are set to grace Boundary Park later this month in a game full of intrigue and prestige.

A friendly has been fixed between Premier League champions Manchester City and Athletic for July 31 (7.45pm kick-off) to give game time to the club’s Euro 2012 stars. It replaces the Birmingham City fixture due that night.

Though it has come about quickly, Athletic are overjoyed about landing such a lucrative game â€" one that former City striker, now Athletic boss Paul Dickov and club officials have been chasing for some time.

The majority of City's first-team squad will definitely NOT feature â€" the squad will be in the Far East on tour.

But there lies the prospect of the club’s Euro 2012 players taking to the field against Athletic. Italy striker Balotelli, Spain schemer and winner’s medal holder David Silva, France duo Gael Clichy and Samir Nasri and England trio Joe Hart, Joleon Lescott and James Milner have been given leave from tour duties.

Playing Athletic offers a chance to get non-touring players match fit in a game sure to be a big hit with supporters.

READ the full version of this story only in our print and eChron editions

-

Sounds like when we played Newcastle about 10 years ago - 'Robson expected to start with Shearer and co' - ended in 'who the :censored:in' 'ell are these?'

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive been going 20 odd years +

i dont expect anything, except for the club to be run properly so that i can still be going in 20 years +

if that means when a big club comes to town in friendly, league, cup, testiomonial thay add a fiver to the price

then so be it!

why do Latics fans expect something all the time? they put on offers each season, the club are open with the fans (far more than other clubs)

they are always trying to do the best for the fans aswell as the club itself - it must be a nightmare balancing act

whatever they do they never seem to be able to win.

Well said - really stupid thread - we support the team go if you can and wish to, don't go if you can't but do not start this BS - club puts on a decent friendly with possible Euro star and hope that new fans may come through the gates due to it and hope that they may come back (bigger picture) - even if one does it's a start, then muppets start to bitch and moan about a small price increase and possible boycott - get behind the club and please don't post stupid things like this (if you would like Rangers fans are talking about boycotts how about joining them).

Edited by Stoney

Palmer1, I'd say there's a fairly obvious line between supporting a club and being a mug.

Tell me something - how in Christ's name can anyone justify charging less for a game that counts and then having £15 plastered about for a friendly?

Would it be £15 if we played Wigan Athletic? I can't believe some people accept Corney picking and choosing prices, especially in pre-season.

would wigan fill the rochdale rd end? for any game

city more than likley will!

corney picks and chooses prices because its his club and he is trying to make it profitbale so we can progress!

there is even a free friendly for season ticket holders this pre-season - corney did that too, I bet some are not happy with that

Indeed he has. But the culture of football has continued to change yet he wants to contest a friendly with a club that has helped to marginalise League One and Two? A tad hypocritical.

OK, let's stick it to Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan, by not going to the City game. I bet he's :censored:ting his dishdash.

OK, let's stick it to Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan, by not going to the City game. I bet he's :censored:ting his dishdash.

That makes absolutely no sense. If you're going to make clever wise cracks put em in context, won't you?

If fans are happy to spend more on the basis that more opposition fans are likely to attend - particularly from certain clubs that we moan about then pander to them - all in the name of loyalty good on you.

The problem with supporters in this country is that we can't see past being 'loyal to your club', even when we're clearly being shafted. Anyone who thinks £15 for a friendly is reasonable, no matter who against or what the circumstances, is frankly a gullible fool.

Plus surely charging a fiver/tenner (or whatever) would've encouraged more fans to attend? I really doubt this army of Citeh fans some are anticipating is actually going to appear for that price either. The club has potentially shot itself in the foot here.

Edited by JonesyOAFC

I probably won't be going to this game now, one reason being the £15 pricetag and the other it being an all ticket affair. The hassle of getting up to Latics to get a ticket for a pre season match just seems a waste of time and effort. I'll still be at the Sheff Weds game as that should be a cracker but £15 to watch City XI just seems a tad expensive for me.

Also, why offer a free pre season game to season ticket holders? It's usually only a tenner and most wouldn't expect it, but now people are going to turn up expecting a free match then be pissed off when they can't use it for this game because its the famous wealthy Manchester City...

Standard Latics though isn't it, if i were in charge my goal would be to show off the £10 children season tickets in the away end with the aim to lure as many fans away from the Etihad and get them into Boundary Park!

My own opinion is this

City will bring more fans to this game as they are now global team for pre season games.

This one game can help pay towards the pitch renovations - pension commitments from Premier days we got hit with and maybe a few more quid in the budget for a player or two.

City fans will travel all over uk to watch there team in thousands just like Newcastle !

Not much travelling costs should mean more come to BP we should have charged £20 ! 100,000 city fans would have still paid it !

Not for one minute do I want the club to Turn down a chance of making money !

City will bring many with the expected team that's playing !

If City can pay for things for our club with this gand there money is more than welcome owtb !!!

-

I hope City fans fill our ground and we make a pay day from it all, but I don't like ripping off fellow football fans in the process. Just because City are successful why should their fans have to pay more to watch their team play?

I don't think as many will turn up to this game as most think - I hope I'm wrong because we need the money but at the end of the day its just a meaningless match that will be treated as a fitness test before the bigger games start a few weeks later.

Sounds like when we played Newcastle about 10 years ago - 'Robson expected to start with Shearer and co' - ended in 'who the :censored:in' 'ell are these?'

And as for Wilf Mannion?

God its nothiong like Newcastle 10 years ago, they did not have half their squad on duty of the Euros.

Echo the sentiments, we are the people that like me have turned up for 10+ years, every game and we still get nothing in return.

Granted, i wouldn't be entitled to anything as i'm no longer a ST holder from this season, but i've still been there for 10 years.

I went shopping the other day and bought some clothes. What did I get in return? Nothing!

Oh no wait, I got clothes. You paid to watch football and you got to watch football. You don't pay for anything extra (irrespective of the fact that you do actually get extra).

The changing minds and thoughts of some Latics fans.

Thought 1) We've got a friendly against Birmingham. Nowt special but not bad, I think I'll go. Thought 2) Oh, we're playing Citeh now (PL Champions with those who played in the Euros likely to play). Well, fancy crapping on Birmingham. (We'll ignore the bit in SC's quote about PD and Clarke agreeing, because then we can't moan about it)

Thought 3) By God, we need some cash coming into the club. We're playing who? York City & Fleetwood? Pfft. Thought 4) £15 for a friendly against Citeh? Sod it, I won't go.

Probably the only chance to see Hart, Silva, Lescott, Milner, Clichy, Nasri, Balotelli unless we play them in the Cup and it's still not good enough to warrant paying an extra fiver to help out with Police costs.

Summat for nowt springs to mind.

If I could get there for it from Brizzle, I'd happily pay £15 to watch that line up in the flesh. Unfortunately, I'll be away.

Just 8 words sum up this whole episode up. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. I swear to God if we played Barcelona and let everyone in for free, there'd be some bugger moaning about it. They'd probably complain what a missed opportunity it is and we could have made a fortune.

Edited by Bristolatic

how? it's City reserves.

what am I missing?

Accoriding to the Chron The majority of City's first-team squad will definitely NOT feature as the squad will be in the Far East on tour.

But there lies the prospect of the club's Euro 2012 players taking to the field against Athletic.

Italy striker Balotelli, Euro 2012 champion

David Silva,

France duo Gael Clichy and Samir Nasri

and England trio Joe Hart, Joleon Lescott and James Milner have been given leave from tour duties.

City's reserves would probably qualify for Europe.

Bristol, Clark and Dickov agreeing to cancel wasn't how the Birmingham OS portrayed it. Seems you have ignored that too.

The tuth of the matter is City came along after Latics thought that Birmingham would be a good un and wanted to cash in. Ditched Birmingham and announced City. Now thinking they have a banker have increased the usual price claiming it's all down to the copper's. Maybe partly the coppers and thinking it's a bamker. Then after god knows how many times we've been told the ST holder's will get their reward for seeing non holder's receiving perks, we can't even save our match free voucher for it.

It's all one way traffic this partnership and the truth of the matter is we ain't covered ourselves in glory.

Bristol, Clark and Dickov agreeing to cancel wasn't how the Birmingham OS portrayed it. Seems you have ignored that too.

The tuth of the matter is City came along after Latics thought that Birmingham would be a good un and wanted to cash in. Ditched Birmingham and announced City. Now thinking they have a banker have increased the usual price claiming it's all down to the copper's. Maybe partly the coppers and thinking it's a bamker. Then after god knows how many times we've been told the ST holder's will get their reward for seeing non holder's receiving perks, we can't even save our match free voucher for it.

It's all one way traffic this partnership and the truth of the matter is we ain't covered ourselves in glory.

I'll accept what you're saying, Lags, but would say this. We know City made the offer after we'd agreed to play Birmingham; it's the timing (or lack of) of the cancellation. Either Latics or Brum are being economical with the truth. Do we know for sure which one it is?

I'm not a ST holder, so I have no first hand knowledge of the free entry into a game you would normally pay for. Does it state which game you can and can't use it at? If not, the club have the right to charge for the City game and not charge for another, such as Udders or the Wendies. Or even a 3rd round tie against <insert name of big club here>. It's economics.

Don't think that I don't sympathise. I do. But it's a business and balancing the numbers ain't easy. You'll please some and annoy some. I just happen to believe that this is one we should go along with. Opinions and all that.

Nail on the head there lags.

Citys euro 2012 players wer given 3 weeks off from the beginning of July.

It wouldnt suprise me if they join up with the 1st team squad on tour before our friendly.

Could potentially mean £15 to watch our 1st team v citys kids (and not even the good ones, as they are on tour) and there aint gonna be 4k city fans rushing to pay that much to watch the kids team!