What was your first ever Latics defect

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wimbledon 2 - 1 Latics at Selhurst Park in our first season in the top flight. Our Wembley '94 choker and manager-to-be Graeme Sharp took a penalty which ended up in one of the streets around the ground. Seriously. There was about 2,000 there.

Good times.

15th October 1988, in my first game Chelsea beat us 4-1 at Boundary Park, considering I thought for ages we lost 4-0 means I probably didn't see our goal either.

The fact that I went 3 months before seeing us lose again and then 14 months and 12 months for defeats 3 and 4 is one of the reasons why I'm a Latics fan.

Oh and a week tomorrow is my silver Oldham anniversary. :grin: If my second set of 25 years starts as well as my first lot did then we will have a good few years upcoming, something that probably applies to many.

Anglo Scottish Cup Final

Oldham 1 Burnley 4

Recollect a very large crowd and getting a few minutes after kick off ......we were already 2-0 down .

Remember that game very well....Leighton James ripped Ian Wood a new one, 2 down in 3 minutes, and got well and truly mullered!!

Probably got beat at earlier home games I'd attended but remember a 1-0 loss at Vale Park. One of my first few away games (promotion season) and that's definitely the one I can remember.

That was fooking dour. Bank holiday Monday IIRC? Beckford scored the winner?

charlton athletic at home 1974 lost 2-1 massive comedown after securing promotion the saturday before with a 6-0 hammering of huddersfield my first and only time in the then ford stand upper

Must have been a terrible view - we lost 2 0 not 2. 1!

Boxing Day 1988 - a 3-1 defeat at home to West Brom.

I'd been to a fair few games by then but had never seen us lose. Felt very strange to see us beaten (quite convincingly, if I remember rightly).

I'm used to it now, like.

That was my first game. Therefore, my first defeat. Thankfully I don't remember a thing about it.

Feb 2000 lost 3-1 at home to Gillingham iirc. Don't think I went again that season, just remember early season 2001 beating about 4 teams in a row scoring about 4 goals each game. I remember thinking what an awesome team we were! Oh dear!

My first ever game was a defeat, 5-4 to Rotherham in August 1950. I was nearly 6 years old, so I don't remember a lot about it except there was a huge crowd and I thought all football matches would be a goalfest.

I think that was about the time my dad started going Brizzle (he was born in 1943).

My grandad had played for Latics reserves a few times and was a professional with both us and Accrington Stanley, so started to take my old man in the late 40's / early 50's.

Its their fault!

My first defeat, that I remember, was v West Brom.

May 1976.

I went with my Dad, he was never totally interested, but you can't beat a 9 year olds power of persuasion.

We lost, which meant West Brom were promoted.

We were late and were let in the back (of the Chaddy IIRC) not our normal Ford Stand.

My first defect was having yellow jaundice....!