Players Arrested for Match-Fixing

Officers from the National Crime Agency held six men in the past two days, including at least three footballers and Delroy Facey, a player-turned-agent who has played in the Premier League.

The most shocking thing about all this is the realisation that Delroy Facey was ever a Premier league footballer.

I'm not naive enough to believe that English football is whiter than white, but this would seriously affect my interest in the game if it turned out to be widespread.

The unpredictability of the lower leagues is one of the key things that makes me pay a decent amount of money to go through the turnstiles to watch my club. If this is compromised then I think it would be very difficult for the game to turn it around.

Agreed (although Telegraph says doesn't relate to PL). That said there'll be a fair few at other clubs who do earn that money plus the players who are fixing must be relative first choices.

Looks like they're all being held in Midlands.

I'd hate it if we were the particular club in question referred to in the video.

Agreed (although Telegraph says doesn't relate to PL). That said there'll be a fair few at other clubs who do earn that money plus the players who are fixing must be relative first choices.

Looks like they're all being held in Midlands.

I'd hate it if we were the particular club in question referred to in the video.

Can't see it being us, the odds on us conceding/losing wouldn't make it worthwhile! (When article was being put together of course)

Held in the midlands, concede a lot of goals, I know who my money's on.

Ill always remember coming away from us hammering Wimbledon. John Fashanu scored a bullet header OG. My dad said "there is something dodgy about that game". He said the Wimbledon players didn't care. A few years later the Hans Segers betting scandal started.

Jan Budtz must be implicated in this. I'm not having he was that :censored:.

This incident gerated remarkably little comment not that long ago.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1201581/Four-footballers-banned-match-fixing-probe-placing-bets-game.html

This can't be a surprise given how closely football is tied to the betting bandwagon. How many clubs are sponsored by bookies? and usually ones that I've never even heard of which given I;ve been a reasonably enthusiastic punter for over 30 years is scary. Pretty much every ad at half time is gambling related and the execrable Talksport even incliudes odds a s part of its match commentary.

You reap what you sow.

Is there any websites that tip on what games are being fixed? A couple of years ago on another football forum there was a tip for an Irish second division game which came through. I'm surprised betfair hadn't pulled it as the money going on dwarfed the other games in the same league that night. I'm just interested in how this gets uncovered is it just unusual betting patterns?

I used to live with a Greek lad who was very clued up on Mediterranean match fixing and made a good supplementary income through it. This was pre Serie A scandal and towards the end of the season he highlighted clubs that had nothing to play for throwing matches on a regular basis.

I'm not condoning this btw just find it interesting, and to be honest I was probably quite naive in thinking it wasn't really a part of our game.

Is there any websites that tip on what games are being fixed? A couple of years ago on another football forum there was a tip for an Irish second division game which came through. I'm surprised betfair hadn't pulled it as the money going on dwarfed the other games in the same league that night. I'm just interested in how this gets uncovered is it just unusual betting patterns?

I used to live with a Greek lad who was very clued up on Mediterranean match fixing and made a good supplementary income through it. This was pre Serie A scandal and towards the end of the season he highlighted clubs that had nothing to play for throwing matches on a regular basis.

I'm not condoning this btw just find it interesting, and to be honest I was probably quite naive in thinking it wasn't really a part of our game.

If you find out, can you share the link please?

Surely Delory Facey must have been fixing that Chesterfield away game? Ive never seen a Latics strikeforce as :censored: in my life as him and JJ were that day.

Ill always remember coming away from us hammering Wimbledon. John Fashanu scored a bullet header OG. My dad said "there is something dodgy about that game". He said the Wimbledon players didn't care. A few years later the Hans Segers betting scandal started.

Jan Budtz must be implicated in this. I'm not having he was that :censored:.

I'd be careful posting such allegations.

Billericay Chairman was on Talk:censored:e a while back, it's a few of their games - the mainstream bookies no longer take bets on many of their games due to inconsistent betting patterns from Far East syndicates.

The Chairman was devastated that the good name of his club had been hijacked by these chancres.