Brentford

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the first 45 minutes we deserved to be a couple down. The second half was a lot more even and for about 30 minutes we should've scored a couple.

Could've gone either way. Shame!

You can see the team have quality players, I just don't know why they can't make chances or score!

thats it, going forward we don,t have quality players thats why we don,t score goals, check the league to see how many we score, we can defend but not score , better than last season but not by a lot, although we look prettier there is no end result,

Currently sat on my own on a train back from london trying to drown my sorrows...

My thoughts.

Plummer - what does he offer extra that Mellor at full back or Grounds with Lanzoni in defence doesn't?! Too much room was conceded on our left flank. Whilst its harsh to judge plummer he is on loan. only a short time span so the judging time is shorter.

We didnt test the keeper enough.

Petrasso - GET YOUR HEAD UP. Look for a pass.

JCH - Not your day today.

Thanks to the bloke behind me calling the players every name under the sun. You made my day.

Worked hard, you cant have a go at the players. The effort WAS there, in spite of what a few said on leaving.

Final ball - not good enough.

The warning signs with headers were there all game. They won quite a few and had a lot of free headers from corners.

Onwards to the next one....if I survive the worlds most annoying train journey.

Yep,and i could turn it round and say i cant understand happy clappers who are chucking one off at the sight of their team struggling in the third tier of english football and struggling to beat pub teams from the bottom tier.

The whole point of being a supporter is that you're being positive, otherwise you're not being supportive, which is in essence what being a supporter is all about... the clues in the name. Why go watch a team you apparently think is crap and then just tell them they are crap repeatedly? £20 well spent :first:

Currently sat on my own on a train back from london trying to drown my sorrows...

My thoughts.

Plummer - what does he offer extra that Mellor at full back or Grounds with Lanzoni in defence doesn't?! Too much room was conceded on our left flank. Whilst its harsh to judge plummer he is on loan. only a short time span so the judging time is shorter.

Thanks to the bloke behind me calling the players every name under the sun. You made my day.

Worked hard, you cant have a go at the players. The effort WAS there, in spite of what a few said on leaving.

The warning signs with headers were there all game. They won quite a few and had a lot of free headers from corners.

This^^

Kind of vindicates my post from the other night and earller just a tad...

Edited by rigsby

My thoughts.

Possibly me giving there keeper grief

thats it, going forward we don,t have quality players thats why we don,t score goals, check the league to see how many we score, we can defend but not score , better than last season but not by a lot, although we look prettier there is no end result,

12 goals scored in last 12 league games, it's certainly becoming an issue.

LJ has the nucleus of a good team, the most unfortunate aspect is Charlie McDonald has missed so many matches, he would probably have snapped up many of the easy chances which have gone begging and gained extra league points - possibly even secured us a place in the JPT.

With no like for like on the books I feel its imperative another experienced goal poacher is brought in.

Not easy at this time the season, but maybe a plunge into the non league market may be worth the risk (remember Charlie himself was playing in non league until he was 26 years of age).

My views on bringing in a creative player just to give the manager another tactical option are well known, but priority must now be given to another Charlie McDonald type striker.

At the risk of being told he's unproven and why has no league club has snapped him up before, I could suggest this man.(at 6' 2" he's not bad in the air too).

http://www.football.com/en-gb/lee-gregory/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2bjrKtWl2U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRRSPVN5tS0

Edited by BP1960

Played well: 0-0 fair result as neither team had many chances. We defended too deep and the keeper should have come and claimed it. Spoke to Brentford fans after the game and they all said our keeper gave them the win.

LJ has the nucleus of a good team, the most unfortunate aspect is Charlie McDonald has missed so many matches, he would probably have snapped up many of the easy chances which have gone begging and gained extra league points - possibly even secured us a place in the JPT.

With no like for like on the books I feel its imperative another experienced goal poacher is brought in.

Not easy at this time the season, but maybe a plunge into the non league market may be worth the risk (remember Charlie himself was playing in non league until he was 26 years of age).

My views on bringing in a creative player just to give the manager another tactical option are well known, but priority must now be given to another Charlie McDonald type striker.

At the risk of being told he's unproven and why has no league club has snapped him up before, I could suggest this man.(at 6' 2" he's not bad in the air too).

http://www.football.com/en-gb/lee-gregory/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2bjrKtWl2U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRRSPVN5tS0

worth a tweet to lee johnson if you are on twitter (you can send him a private message), i'm sure he'd have a look off viewing those videos, looks a decent player and in a better team would bag a few........???

Edited by shefflatic

I was there today an being honest we played well great support good effort from us but we can't find the net at th mo it's as simple as that. don't forget there top 3 yet we outplayed them for long periods so don't listen to rigsby I've been watching us for 30 years an it will turn you can see it an sadly these things take time,but hey I love oldham it's in my blood roll on Mansfield p.s thanks lee for taking 8 oldham into Chelsea main pub thought we gave them a good old northern welcome.

Something that has been bothering me for a while is the ease at which teams seem to get crosses into the box pretty much unchallenged. Just seen the "Highlights" on Football League Show and Saunders was able to get the ball out of his feet, set himself and then put the cross in without anyone even trying to get near him. Think it was Sidney who put a half arsed leg out as it went past him.

I think we are going in the right direction in general and first loss in 10, cut out the little errors and we are more than capable of going on another decent unbeaten run, hopefully starting Tuesday!

Great day out but would've been infinitely better if we kept them out for two more minutes.

First half wasn't great but we fought them off and earned our clean sheet at the break.

Was excited about the way we played in the 2nd half. I can't imagine that many teams will press that high away at Brentford this season and we won possession and started counter attacks many times. The lack of cutting edge was clearly the reason why we didn't win. We had openings but never really looked confident of taking them. My mates (one neutral, one Brentford fan) called it "daylight robbery" that we lost.

Oxley - actually felt pretty comfortable with him in goal, but may have been to blame for the goal. Will have to see it again. Didn't have much else to do. 5.5

Kusunga - he's a good player, as well as being a good defender his distribution is better than usual for a centre back. 7

Tarky - made the odd mistake but he does so many things defensively with great confidence that he puts the rest of the defensive unit at ease. Remarkable for a young lad. 8

Grounds - doesn't do much wrong at all defensively and his composure means that we really can build from the back with him and Tarky at CB, but there was one absolutely abysmal 10 yard pass to Plummer which went out of play which made me see what some say about his distribution. 7

Plummer - simply not ready for league one football. Clearly our weak link defensively. 5

Petrasso - similar on both flanks, skillful and energetic but end product was badly missing today. 6

Smith - how in the world did we sign this guy on a free? 9

Wes - mistimed more tackles than usual today but matched the tempo that Smith set when pressing and didn't do much wrong with the ball. The fact that Smith and Wes matched their midfield 3 is testament to their work rates. 7.5

Mellor - didn't have enough time on the pitch. Hope the injury isn't bad because, while flawed, he's a much better full-back than Plummer. N/A

Philliskirk - Didn't really get in the box enough but his link up play and balance was very good again. He lacks Baxter's ability to beat a man one-on-one but he has pretty much everything else. 7.5

JCH - Hesistant in front of goal but he made Harlee Dean know that he was there which is quite a feat! His work rate was very good and he's definitely improving. If he makes the most out of the glimpses of talent he shows then he really could be something spectacular. 7.5

Subs:

Winchester - The 4 on 1 aside, he takes very good care of the ball. Made a good case today that if the wingers don't step up then he could offer an alternative style to the right side. 7

Rooney - some bad moments but he worked hard and isn't really getting the breaks right now. Danny P and JCH have earned their places but Rooney seemed more of a goal threat when he came on. If the current pairing don't get into better scoring positions in the next couple of games then Rooney should take one of their places. 6

Schmeltz - he had no time to do anything but I think LJ got it wrong replacing Winchester with Sidney, we barely got any extra attacking threat from the sub while breaking up the solid midfield unit. LJ will learn and way he got the team playing today is no fluke. N/A

My neutral mate said that this is the best Oldham side he's seen for the last few years. The points tally may be similar to last year but the intangibles couldn't be much more different.

Couple of notes on the crowd. Atmosphere was very good in general from our guys but I can't agree with the light hearted Montano chant that devalues what he did with the bookings and then the chants about him dying were bang out of order. Maybe I'm being over sensitive about the former but the latter was nowhere near justifiable. It was a minority but still not pleasant.

Speaking of not pleasant, the comeback to those extremely irritating children was great. After scoring a 92nd minute goal that was undeserved the kids had the nerve to chant "We want more" (I know they meant no harm but it was still very annoying). Swearing wasn't an appropriate response, so the chant of "Father Christmas isn't real!" was inspired imo.

Mansfield is the one that we need to win. At the start of today I thought a draw would be a bonus but we thoroughly deserved the point that was snatched away from us. If we play a similar way on Tuesday we will dominate the game but if the final ball and end product don't improve then the problems will be the same as today. The team I'd play wouldn't be the ideal lineup as I think Kusunga, Tarky and Grounds would stay where they were today, but as Plummer is so obviously a weaker link I'd go for.

Oxley

Lanzoni

Kusunga

Tarky

Grounds

Winchester

Smith

Wes

Petrasso

Philly

JCH

I was going to say put JCH on the left side and bring Rooney in alongside Philly but Petrasso would offer width that we wouldn't otherwise have in that team, he's the best of our mediocre available wingers.

My first trip to brentford today got to do all 4 pubs on each corner which was nice.

When you are on top in games you have to make that count we were for a large part of the second half but we didn't convert the possession into enough clear cut chances and as said by pukka we didn't test the keeper enough. When you do that you always have the chance of falling for the sucker punch and unfortunately we did.

Brentford fan in the pub came upto me and said we were the best team they have faced this season.

Oh and after reading this thread I will be updating my ignore list until rigsby sticks his tampon back in and stops being a whining tart