Yes.

I can't understand why those who run the forum, and have a potential legal liability for the content, wouldn't leave stuff like your post on.

They've done you a big favour. Without evidence those posts were libellous. I'm gobsmacked they've allowed you to continue to post.

Thanks O4u. You are correct; you don't have to be able to split the atom to understand.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that I don't agree with plenty of what you have said, but your original "loss" figure is incorrect. There is much more uptodate information around showing that £15-20k p/w loss is no longer the case and hasn't been for a time.

Not doubting SC commitment at all to Oafc he does a great job on limited resources. I do have concerns about costs and revenue from the new stand though and how that is going structured.

In the Chron last June, Corney said:

“If we get 3,000 fans at our matches our budget is £1 million. If we had 6,000 fans, it would be £2 million.

“Fans might ask why we can’t have Jose Baxter, Jean-Yves Mvoto and players we have lost like Kieran Lee and Chris Taylor in the same team. It comes down, simply, to turnover.

“What we can try to do is increase our revenue — and that’s what the new stand is about.”

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/10/oldham-athletic-news/80713/club-turnover-dictates-what-we-can-spend-corney

The frustration is that we can't go out and sign a central defender for £350k to strengthen but have to sell a central defender for £350k to reinvest in two or three players to improve the team but with the long-term aim to sell them on and reinvest again.

Unfortunately that's where we are with limited attendances creating operating losses. To fund the gap player sales are needed as well as cup runs.

For people who imply Corney is skimming off the cream to line his pockets needs their head seeing to or join the grassy knoll mobs who are quick to spurt conspiracy theories.

Truth is that Corney has to wheel and deal at his level to generate off-field income to strengthen on the field. LJ then has to wheel and deal on field to generate income to continue to improve on the field. If strengthening then improves our play, creates success and attendances consistently increase for league games and NOT just the odd cup run we become more self sufficient and allow ourselves to dine at the top table of League One.

For those disillusioned following yesterday's transfer window need to have a reality check or politely :censored: off and support United and City if they want instant success or finished article signings.

I'm happy and my faith in LJ actually increased further yesterday;

Kissock - an ex-Everton youth player who lost their way but displaying some promising qualities and some decent reviews. Cheap acquisition in scheme of things so a low financial risk if things don't work out but a massive gain if he really is a 'non-league Messi'

Turner - a kid but a kid who's attracting major interest from Championship sides due to his pace, positioning, scoring ability and regarded as a hot prospect. We've paid a relatively small fee so again a low financial risk and more a sound investment.

Wilson - a solid CB who can play at RB; granted a fee agent but what do you expect? More than capable to fill the gap left my Tarkowski and shore the defence for this season until we regroup and take stock.

Stead - a really good acquisition in the window. In my opinion an improvement on Rooney based on his height, pedigree and will compliment more the likes of McDonald, Philliskirk and I would even throw in Turner once he's had a couple of games under his belt via the stiffs.

The cherry on the top would have been getting Mills back in but we can't have everything and priority for me is across the middle and up front. We need to maintain the chances on goal but obviously need to convert them.

I'm sure LJ and Corney are gutted that we missed out on Tom Ince, Leigh Griffiths and Konoplyanka...but even Liverpool failed on the last one so we're amongst an elite bunch.

The frustration is that we can't go out and sign a central defender for £350k to strengthen but have to sell a central defender for £350k to reinvest in two or three players to improve the team but with the long-term aim to sell them on and reinvest again.

Unfortunately that's where we are with limited attendances creating operating losses. To fund the gap player sales are needed as well as cup runs.

For people who imply Corney is skimming off the cream to line his pockets needs their head seeing to or join the grassy knoll mobs who are quick to spurt conspiracy theories.

Truth is that Corney has to wheel and deal at his level to generate off-field income to strengthen on the field. LJ then has to wheel and deal on field to generate income to continue to improve on the field. If strengthening then improves our play, creates success and attendances consistently increase for league games and NOT just the odd cup run we become more self sufficient and allow ourselves to dine at the top table of League One.

For those disillusioned following yesterday's transfer window need to have a reality check or politely :censored: off and support United and City if they want instant success or finished article signings.

I'm happy and my faith in LJ actually increased further yesterday;

Kissock - an ex-Everton youth player who lost their way but displaying some promising qualities and some decent reviews. Cheap acquisition in scheme of things so a low financial risk if things don't work out but a massive gain if he really is a 'non-league Messi'

Turner - a kid but a kid who's attracting major interest from Championship sides due to his pace, positioning, scoring ability and regarded as a hot prospect. We've paid a relatively small fee so again a low financial risk and more a sound investment.

Wilson - a solid CB who can play at RB; granted a fee agent but what do you expect? More than capable to fill the gap left my Tarkowski and shore the defence for this season until we regroup and take stock.

Stead - a really good acquisition in the window. In my opinion an improvement on Rooney based on his height, pedigree and will compliment more the likes of McDonald, Philliskirk and I would even throw in Turner once he's had a couple of games under his belt via the stiffs.

The cherry on the top would have been getting Mills back in but we can't have everything and priority for me is across the middle and up front. We need to maintain the chances on goal but obviously need to convert them.

I'm sure LJ and Corney are gutted that we missed out on Tom Ince, Leigh Griffiths and Konoplyanka...but even Liverpool failed on the last one so we're amongst an elite bunch.

This just about sums it up. Somewhere close to rational in a headwind of lunacy that we saw on here yesterday.

We can debate the Tarky fee as long as we like. I'm told by a good source (never been wrong before) that it's £350k plus a modest appearance add on plus 20% of any future profit. We were also prepared to pull the plug on it because of Kusunga's injury, but the loan deal put it back on the table.

If right, and I believe it to be true, it's less than I would have valued him at. That said, I'm no expert - maybe we've all got our knickers in a twist over spurious newspaper articles putting him above £1m and got excited over nothing.

If we were prepared to kill the deal then it suggests we weren't desperate to sell, more pragmatic about the player's understandable desire to better himself and the diminishing value he would attract as his contract runs down (perhaps we should have cashed in on Taylor, Lee et al before their contracts expired).

This transfer window has many positives. Harkins, Worrall and Stead give us new attacking options. Kissock gives us something different from the middle and we do have centre back options in the squad already before Wilson is added.

It's by no means a disaster. Johnson needs to get his team playing for him now. The squad is decent.

Edited by opinions4u

This just about sums it up. Somewhere close to rational in a headwind of lunacy that we saw on here yesterday.

We can debate the Tarky fee as long as we like. I'm told by a good source (never been wrong before) that it's £350k plus a modest appearance add on plus 20% of any future profit. We were also prepared to pull the plug on it because of Kusunga's injury, but the loan deal put it back on the table.

If right, and I believe it to be true, it's less than I would have valued him at. That said, I'm no expert - maybe we've all got our knickers in a twist over spurious newspaper articles putting him above £1m and got excited over nothing.

If we were prepared to kill the deal then it suggests we weren't desperate to sell, more pragmatic about the player's understandable desire to better himself and the diminishing value he would attract as his contract runs down (perhaps we should have cashed in on Taylor, Lee et al before their contracts expired).

This transfer window has many positives. Harkins, Worrall and Stead give us new attacking options. Kissock gives us something different from the middle and we do have centre back options in the squad already before Wilson is added.

It's by no means a disaster. Johnson needs to get his team playing for him now. The squad is decent.

It was the spurious newspaper article putting Tarky at £100K to £150K which inspired my lunacy.

If we were prepared to walk away from the table then it illustrates a commitment to getting the best deal for the club and that is all that a lot of us want. In LJ we trust!

Just to recap, I sponsor this club, I spend alot more than a season ticket on this club so dont say im not a fan!!!!

Simon Corney is only interested in an investment in Oldham Athletic if its to his benefit not the clubs!! FACT

Stating opinion as fact.

All part of the job of being a complete numpty. :mmm:

from what i see, all money that comes into the club through sales of players or big cup games ala last year, none of it is ever put back into the squad, only through wages!

im not against simon corney but I'd like to know what we do with the money that comes in? does it supply just balance the books? is the stand not fully paid for and he's putting it to a side to pay for the stand? are we in a bad financial state that any money that comes in clears all outstanding debts?

basically, id like to see the money that comes in from sales of players to go and BUY a decent prospect at league one level, one we know something about, not an 18 year old lad from the skill north, not a one month loan deal from a local rival!

Edited by kieranmcandrew

I'm fairly sure a typical season sees us lose £500k. Most of it on player wages.

A big FA Cup run can plug that to a point. Last season would have pushed us towards a surplus - presumably used to reduce debt or dig some holes on the north side of BP.

A player sale can move it to break even.

We still have £6m of debt. I've no idea where the money's coming from for a £4m-£6m stand.

Edited by opinions4u

I'm fairly sure a typical season sees us lose £500k. Most of it on player wages.

A big FA Cup run can plug that to a point. Last season would have pushed us towards a surplus - presumably used to reduce debt or dig some holes on the north side of BP.

We still have £6m of debt. I've no idea where the money's coming from for a £4m-£6m stand.

so it's more of a balancing the books solution when any form of money comes into the club? i personally think corney has been putting money aside every now and then to fund the majority of the stand... bit like any of us lot would save for a holiday (well, some of us anyway)

Some money from for the sale of land for housing and the hospital extension I assume.

Edited by BP1960

Just to recap, I sponsor this club, I spend alot more than a season ticket on this club so dont say im not a fan!!!!

Simon Corney is only interested in an investment in Oldham Athletic if its to his benefit not the clubs!! FACT

Why on earth would anyone make a substantial investment in a football club if they didn't expect to benefit from it? Even a fan would be on a ego trip and even they are very few and far between.

No flies on you.

Why on earth would you expect him, or anybody, not to be?

You keep posting and tweeting along similar lines - why do you expect/demand that a rich, successful, sane businessman (or businessmen) comes along and spunks millions on an ailing 3rd division football club solely in the clubs and it's fans interests rather than his?

And if you know such an idiot exists can you send him this way.

from what i see, all money that comes into the club through sales of players or big cup games ala last year, none of it is ever put back into the squad, only through wages!

I'm not sure if it's intentional, but you make that sound like a criticism but for me that's not a bad thing at all. Firstly we have paid fees for players, but mainly paying a substantial fee for a player

a. puts cash into another club's coffers

b. gets us more into the realms of filling agents' pockets

c. these days there tends to be a significant amount of quality players available for free

d. not paying a fee means more scope for better wages for paying players, not rival clubs

e. focusing on wages means you can probably put more money into performance related payments; hopefully we only pay more where we do better

and lastly not paying a big fee up front means that there is less chance of that investment all going to waste.

I have no idea about current finances, but in October 2010, when Failsworth was in the Club’s thoughts, the Chron reported:

Athletic have posted a £1.524 million loss for the year ended December 2009 — a massive increase on the £414,000 deficit of the previous 12 months, according to accounts filed at Companies House.

Turnover fell by £277,000 to £3.26m as a result of lost income on matchdays, through reduced crowds and dwindling commercial takings.

Operating losses were up to £1.275m, from £1.012m in 2008. Total operating costs for the year 2009 were £3.9m, out of which £2.3m is made up of ‘football costs’ — meaning transfer fees paid out and wages for players and coaching staff.

And one of the major costs incurred by the club last year was a £550,000 exceptional write-off relating to work on the planning application for the redevelopment of Boundary Park for housing.

Despite a massively disappointing year on the field, Athletic’s spending on the football side actually rose by £300,000 in 2009.

The released figures also show that the club’s net liabilities are on the rise too.

Mainly made up of directors’ loans from owners Simon Blitz and Danny Gazal — both no longer directors of Athletic, with the pair unwilling to bankroll the club beyond this season — the figure stood at £4.630m on December 31, 2009, up from £3.570m 12 months earlier.

Those net liabilities have grown in the 10 months since, the club confirmed, though Hardy said as far as he was aware there was no sign that Blitz and Gazal were about to call in the loans.

We are where we are because of where we have been. Being a founder member of the Premiership was ultimately our downfall because we didn't get the parachute payments that they do now and the club was not run well following the fall.

We are back to where we were 50 years ago in an environment which makes it harder to attract long term supporters even though we have many fans who might turn up for top games. The gap between us both in class and income from the Premiership has widened with football on the box at saturation levels. Why buy a season ticket when mid week games compete with Prem and Champions league. You can even watch Prem games at 3 on Saturday. On top of this real incomes have had a significant downward adjustment which will never be recovered for the many.

However we have a Chairman that has stuck with us and who has found us a gem of a manager. We have seen better football this season than for some time and have started beating clubs in top ten positions again. A new stand is slowly rising. Problems with our squad have been identified and addressed in the January window - it is unlikely that they will all be a success but the signs are good. We are not fighting relegation despite the negative comments on here. We will go higher but LJ will use games to experiment once we are safe so we are only going to get a mid table finish.

I have not felt so positive about us since I travelled to QPR! In Lee Johnson and Simon Corney I trust.