FAO Barry Owen

He was under contract until June but it is June 2015 isn't it, get you facts right! So isn't it 18 months that he was our player?

You can 'suspect' all you like but if that is the basis of your defence then it is pretty poor. Deal in facts not supposition.

I apologise, I did make an error in when he was leaving.

I agree we should deal with facts.

1. You have several posts that have heavily criticised the selling of Tarky for a paltry fee. Do you accept the fee is "far in excess of £150k" now, as reported in the Chron.

2. Did you not say "Clearly" we did not want him? When we had offered him an improved contract.

3. What has the fact someone went from Hartlepool to £500k, got to do with Tarky leaving?

4. How much did Tarky go for?

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But there are plenty of snipers, very few prepared to do the work.

Thing is, Barry's job is protected by the fact that the vast majority of us haven't got early retirement and can't give all of our time to such a role. "Who else could do it...?" It's further protected by the fact that Corney wouldn't want him replaced and certainly wouldn't respond as well to someone who was willing to argue with him on behalf of the fans.

I know some people think I'm overly negative but I struggle to believe that any Latics fan thinks Barry, who only tends to pop up to tell the fans they're being unreasonable and in doing so uses the pronoun 'us' to refer to the Board of Directors rather than the fans or even the Trust, is doing a good job of representing them.

Stockholm syndrome, if ever I saw it.

Guest Scratch2000uk

Hey Barry, is there any way I can get a sniff of your arsehole aswell please?

You would have a job getting past the countless feet hanging out of it. :devilish:

I apologise, I did make an error in when he was leaving.

I agree we should deal with facts.

1. You have several posts that have heavily criticised the selling of Tarky for a paltry fee. Do you accept the fee is "far in excess of £150k" now, as reported in the Chron.

2. Did you not say "Clearly" we did not want him? When we had offered him an improved contract.

3. What has the fact someone went from Hartlepool to £500k, got to do with Tarky leaving?

4. How much did Tarky go for?

I do now accept that the fee seems to be a lot more than £150K and in respect of point 4, I don't know, i.e. I don't know how much more than the initial £150K but it seems considerable BUT If it only more than the £150K dependant on add-ons such as promotion (for Brentford) and a clause for selling on (which should be on all our sales, even Rooney!) then it isn't really more than the fee that they have paid (undisclosed!) I never wanted us to sell Tarky even last summer BUT we have to accept where we stand as a selling club, my only complaint all through this has been we should sell at the right time at a price that suits us!

Clearly, if I quoted this, would be my view as a consequence of us selling so cheaply, but I cannot remember the context.

The Hartlepool lad being sold (at a disclosed fee) seemed incredulous when we had 'sold' Tarky for less than a third and it is relevant, in my opinion, as he is a centre half from another lower league club. By the way I have never criticised LJ in all my ranting and I can now see that he has done some good business in the window, even if previous savings should cover these. Thanks

Guest Scratch2000uk

Have to take LJ's word for it. Although it must have been less massive than has been suggested ,Stevie's right, he would be gone.

Edited by Scratch2000uk

Big money, my arse.

If it was big money, he'd be gone. We all know it.

According to LJ it would have been the biggest fee received for a central midfield player in L1. Does anyone know what the record fee is for such a player?

According to LJ it would have been the biggest fee received for a central midfield player in L1. Does anyone know what the record fee is for such a player?

Well, Crewe sold Nick Powell for £3 million (potentially rising to £6 million), so I reckon it's safe to say that's miles from being true.

Edit: And didn't Villa pay around £8 million for Fabian Delph (although, God only knows why)?

Edited by Stevie_J

Thing is, Barry's job is protected by the fact that the vast majority of us haven't got early retirement and can't give all of our time to such a role. "Who else could do it...?" It's further protected by the fact that Corney wouldn't want him replaced and certainly wouldn't respond as well to someone who was willing to argue with him on behalf of the fans.

I know some people think I'm overly negative but I struggle to believe that any Latics fan thinks Barry, who only tends to pop up to tell the fans they're being unreasonable and in doing so uses the pronoun 'us' to refer to the Board of Directors rather than the fans or even the Trust, is doing a good job of representing them.

Stockholm syndrome, if ever I saw it.

So if the role of trust rep/fans liaison officer became a full time role which commanded a salary and could only be for a fixed period of 3 years would this be something that could work?

Not saying it's going to happen but I'm trying to see how a club like ours could incorporate a link between board and fans.

So if the role of trust rep/fans liaison officer became a full time role which commanded a salary and could only be for a fixed period of 3 years would this be something that could work?

Not saying it's going to happen but I'm trying to see how a club like ours could incorporate a link between board and fans.

The difference is Barry is a board member. That goes beyond comms.

So what does he do then?

Barry as a board member and shareholders representative is entitled to attempt to influence the running of the club and be party to key decisions. He can be over ruled of course. How he balances that with his role of representing the Trust membership (whoever they may be) is another question.