North Stand Construction Thread

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know of a few well funded and large capital projects in Manchester that have been delayed by months. Its normal. Also, I wouldn't want to be paying any construction firm up front. Perhaps they don't trust us but equally, it might suggest that the firm are struggling with cash flow themselves.

The Contractors Blog states:

"A number of issues came to light as the work was due to commence and following discussions we have been unable to secure the necessary assurances and guarantees from the initially appointed sub-contractor. It would therefore be inappropriate to allow the sub-contractor to commence work.

You mean the other way around

I know of a few well funded and large capital projects in Manchester that have been delayed by months. Its normal. Also, I wouldn't want to be paying any construction firm up front. Perhaps they don't trust us but equally, it might suggest that the firm are struggling with cash flow themselves.

There are also others which are running on schedule and even some that are running ahead of schedule.

That post is totally incorrect on so many levels, historically/economically/financially and specifically in respect of the prospect of litigation.

Lets look at the statement.

Commenting on the decision, Paul Whitehead, Managing Director of Holroy Developments said: "It is with regret that we have needed to withdraw this particular order. The contractor concerned has a great deal of experience in this field and was well known to the design team.
"A number of issues came to light as the work was due to commence and following discussions we have been unable to secure the necessary assurances and guarantees from the initially appointed sub-contractor. It would therefore be inappropriate to allow the sub-contractor to commence work.

Read more at http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/article/20141002-north-stand-delayed-1983672.aspx#Dm86XlJEVEjDwKYb.99

You would not be able to make such a statement without being on firm ground. If not, it is not unreasonable to suspect that the said sub-contractor would sue. ARe you saying you are privy to the fact the sub-contractor may indeed claim?

Further, even if they did, it does not guarantee they would win.

Lets look at the statement.

Commenting on the decision, Paul Whitehead, Managing Director of Holroy Developments said: "It is with regret that we have needed to withdraw this particular order. The contractor concerned has a great deal of experience in this field and was well known to the design team.

Read more at http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/article/20141002-north-stand-delayed-1983672.aspx#Dm86XlJEVEjDwKYb.99

You would not be able to make such a statement without being on firm ground. If not, it is not unreasonable to suspect that the said sub-contractor would sue. ARe you saying you are privy to the fact the sub-contractor may indeed claim?

Further, even if they did, it does not guarantee they would win.

That statement is pure 'double speak' it says nothing at all really!

Historically; Incorrect regarding the recession.

Economically; Firms and Subcontractors want work -they always do.

Financially; The 2 of the TTA know that there is little chance of getting back any of their Investment-they have simply capped it and left it to the 3rd One

Litigation; How can one sue over something that was said when nothing really was said!

That statement is pure 'double speak' it says nothing at all really!

Historically; Incorrect regarding the recession.

Economically; Firms and Subcontractors want work -they always do.

Financially; The 2 of the TTA know that there is little chance of getting back any of their Investment-they have simply capped it and left it to the 3rd One

Litigation; How can one sue over something that was said when nothing really was said!

I asked you to elaborate, not say nothing.

Are you sure?

Surely if the clubs contract with the developer has penalty charges installed for delays (generally reduction in payments rather than 'fines') then it will not increase the cost for the club but reduce the margin being made by the contractor?

I cannot see 'Simon Corney' 2004 Football Club Ltd enforcing penalty charges against 'Simon Corney' Construction Ltd (sic) or vice versa.

Give my regards to Charlie Raglan and Ollie Banks.

You not going then? There's not a snowballs chance in hell I'll be heard amongst our lot tomorrow - and seeing either of those two in the starting line-up is not much better.

Having said that though, if either does make an appearance I'll do my damnedest to get a fiver on them to score.

I cannot see 'Simon Corney' 2004 Football Club Ltd enforcing penalty charges against 'Simon Corney' Construction Ltd (sic) or vice versa.

Last time I checked he wasn't a director? Care to share your information or is it just the ramblings of someone looking for a negative.............any negative!

Are you sure?

Surely if the clubs contract with the developer has penalty charges installed for delays (generally reduction in payments rather than 'fines') then it will not increase the cost for the club but reduce the margin being made by the contractor?

I'm not talking about penalty charges.

Everyday the units are not open is lost rent. Otherwise known as a cost.

It might not appear anywhere in any contract or even a set of accounts, but a two week delay in handover of the units is two weeks lost income. Penalties etc can (and in most cases should) be passed on. The other issue here is that the plans are changing as it gets built, I'd argue that is a delay on the part of the club and not necessarily the contractors fault.

Yes, they are surging ahead with their construction of a long breeze block shed.

Which the Council is funding.

They're fan-owned breeze blocks and it's being paid back through community shares and development funding. There are no Singapore billionaires or pro-footballer syndicates.

Drove past there today, it's progressed of late but that is mainly the pitch the stands haven't really progressed much on a quick glance.

As Andy quite rightly pointed out, two sides are only non-league standard quick build breeze block bus-stop stands, Main Stand is cladded, glass in, plenty being connected inside, pitch is down, car park in, floodlights up, Northwich Vics' Dane Bank steel just has arrived after the firm recycling and re-fabricating the steel went bust. It is being meccano'd (?) together in a week or so - it's very late. The handover should have been mid September, now it's looking like 2015 - incurring more cost. Couldn't afford to bolt a retail unit onto it, mind.

Last time I checked he wasn't a director? Care to share your information or is it just the ramblings of someone looking for a negative.............any negative!

It seems that you may have already made your mind up!

The way that you phrase your reply seems to imply that I should tell to you my findings or just be dismissed as negative!

Perhaps you simply havent looked in the correct place!

From what I can see and this is based on my view from the outside, is that it is not a traditional customer/contractor relationship as such. Although I don't believe SC is a director of the developer, either he or SB was a director along with developer in regards to the build of the houses, if I remember rightly and putting 2 + 2 together.

From what I can see and this is based on my view from the outside, is that it is not a traditional customer/contractor relationship as such. Although I don't believe SC is a director of the developer, either he or SB was a director along with developer in regards to the build of the houses, if I remember rightly and putting 2 + 2 together.

PCW Developments in which TTA were all directors in fact.

Archived