North Stand Construction Thread

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is disgusting to my mind and sticks in my craw the club are dealing with this man.

He can keep his money and ground name for me.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/sports-direct-under-fresh-pressure-on-job-contracts-10142494.html

I have said it time and time again, if SC has got any type of arrangement with Ashley there will only be one winner and it wont be OAFC!

This is disgusting to my mind and sticks in my craw the club are dealing with this man.

He can keep his money and ground name for me.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/sports-direct-under-fresh-pressure-on-job-contracts-10142494.html

Not defending MA, but a lot of students work at sportsdirect, and zero hour contracts suit them.

Not defending MA, but a lot of students work at sportsdirect, and zero hour contracts suit them.

I worked a zero hours contract at uni they aren't necessarily bad things it suited me due to the fact it was non committal. Later on I got a better job with the same company which I'm about to leave for a better job they can be good for people in education. It acted as a foot in the door for me.

When these students want a full time job they will think differently. Zero hours is an abomination and the sooner its outlawed the better.

Why is it an abomination? It isn't perfect, and isn't suitable for people who have commitments/families, but it absolutely fills a gap in the market. Outlawing them isn't they way forward.

Why is it an abomination? It isn't perfect, and isn't suitable for people who have commitments/families, but it absolutely fills a gap in the market. Outlawing them isn't they way forward.

So logically you would like every firm to use zero contracts, explain then why that wouldn't be an abomination?

So logically you would like every firm to use zero contracts, explain then why that wouldn't be an abomination?

Until recently the company I work for used zero hours contracts.

You'd be surprised how many people want them. For example we had many people who'd taken early retirement or had child care issues and they liked the idea that they could pick and choose when they worked. we would make a phone call asking if they wanted a shift, if the answer was no then so be it, but if they wanted to earn some pocket money or get out of the house or whatever they'd take a few hours work.

When we stopped using such contracts we actually had grievances raised against us over it.

You'd be surprised how many people want them. For example we had many people who'd taken early retirement or had child care issues and they liked the idea that they could pick and choose when they worked. we would make a phone call asking if they wanted a shift, if the answer was no then so be it, but if they wanted to earn some pocket money or get out of the house or whatever they'd take a few hours work.

When we stopped using such contracts we actually had grievances raised against us over it.

So are you trying to say that they are OK-just not for proper jobs?

For a lot of youngsters these days there are no proper jobs available-perpetuated by this very thing!

Sports Direct and the like stink but are being allowed to get away with it more and more. What is it a, race to the bottom to compete with Vietnam and China?

I can see the benefit there but I would have still thought that even say 4 hours a week guaranteed would be better for most people. Although a minority may like the overall flexibility, most people do want a regular income coming in when they are employed.

A more immediate concern should be whether the builders are being paid through an umbrella company

Edit: word revision

More people use them than you realise. The Labour party uses them for instance including a large portion of its MP's, and pretty much every local authority. Labour and its traditional hypocrisy strikes again.

The abuse of zero hour contracts is wrong. But to deny they can be mutually beneficial in some circumstances is naive and unreasonable.

The abuse of zero hour contracts is wrong. But to deny they can be mutually beneficial in some circumstances is naive and unreasonable.

This hits the nail on the head. It's the abuse of them that is the problem. Regulation rather than abolition seems the way forward to me.

More people use them than you realise. The Labour party uses them for instance including a large portion of its MP's, and pretty much every local authority. Labour and its traditional hypocrisy strikes again.

Stop bringing your politics into the equation, this relates to a retail outlet! Does that outlet have fluctuating opening hours? Does it some days not open at all? Does it close early when the weather is bad?

No, so these points bringing into the equation all other scenarios are really not relevant. SC has got into bed with them so much that we have actually changed the name of our ground to reap the rewards of some 'sponsorship' deal, wheras the way that I read it was that he was desperate for tenants and decided not to be choosy when trying to realise his dream of a 7 day a week operation to provide the club with more funds!

Not happening yet is it?

Stop bringing your politics into the equation, this relates to a retail outlet! Does that outlet have fluctuating opening hours? Does it some days not open at all? Does it close early when the weather is bad?

No, so these points bringing into the equation all other scenarios are really not relevant. SC has got into bed with them so much that we have actually changed the name of our ground to reap the rewards of some 'sponsorship' deal, wheras the way that I read it was that he was desperate for tenants and decided not to be choosy when trying to realise his dream of a 7 day a week operation to provide the club with more funds!

Not happening yet is it?

If people want to bring zero hour contracts into the equation for a way to dig at Ashley as thougn he is in some way unique, then politics will also come. So, sorry, suck it up.

Got into bed with them? Its called a sponsorship deal. They will pay money, we have given them naming rights. Rocket science it isnt.

And no it hasnt happened yet, but it isnt built yet... is it?

If you think Corney is a mug in business and has done some awful and desperate deal for the club then you are not giving him the credit he deserves as he is clearly a decent business man and can pull a decent deal. Perhaps if you can do better you can offer your services. I'm sure he would be happy to hear from you with your master plan to market this wonderful product we have that people are falling over themselves to throw money at.

This is spot on. Of course they don't suit everyone, but to abolish them isn't the way forward, regulating them is.

Besides, MA gives away a free mug that holds a pint of tea with every purchase. What's not to love?

Archived