North Stand Construction Thread

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was privileged today to be given a guided tour of the new stand by the Contractor. Thanks again Paul.

17188654022_acc9791e3e.jpg

I’ve added 39 pictures to my flickr album in order to give everyone the opportunity to see what it looks like from the inside. I hope all my descriptions are accurate, but it's been a bit confusing trying to visualise from the pictures what I was told goes where.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/diego_sideburns/sets/72157634724297134/

Not sure if it's been mentioned but next part of the build is building an Holiday Inn in the corner of the new stand. With also further housing at the back of the chaddy

Will that fill in the corner, like in Orient's ground where the 'baby give us a wave' chant was?

Which side of the new stand will that be on?

Will that fill in the corner, like in Orient's ground where the 'baby give us a wave' chant was?

Which side of the new stand will that be on?

Looking likely at the side of the RRE with the need to build new turnstiles in the chaddy due to being severely below ground level.

Liked what Rick Holden said at half time too about BP's charm being in its 'eclectic' stands.

He's spot on there. The ground will look brilliant with the new stand for that reason as much as any. Love a ground with a bit of character and history to it.

I was privileged today to be given a guided tour of the new stand by the Contractor. Thanks again Paul.

I’ve added 39 pictures to my flickr album in order to give everyone the opportunity to see what it looks like from the inside. I hope all my descriptions are accurate, but it's been a bit confusing trying to visualise from the pictures what I was told goes where.

Good pictures, thanks.

Am I right in thinking that the Supporters Bar is on the second/top floor according to those descriptions? And would it have a view onto the pitch if that's the case?

Not sure if it's been mentioned but next part of the build is building an Holiday Inn in the corner of the new stand. With also further housing at the back of the chaddy

Not suggesting this isn't true but it does seem strange that so much attention should go into getting the "design" of this stand just right - for it to receive an unbalanced addition some time later.

Of course, a Holiday Inn behind or adjacent to the new stand would be different...

Good pictures, thanks.

Am I right in thinking that the Supporters Bar is on the second/top floor according to those descriptions? And would it have a view onto the pitch if that's the case?

It's on the second floor, but I think it's the gym that has a view of the pitch, except that the shutters would be down during games, preventing gym-goers from viewing the game.

Not suggesting this isn't true but it does seem strange that so much attention should go into getting the "design" of this stand just right - for it to receive an unbalanced addition some time later.

Of course, a Holiday Inn behind or adjacent to the new stand would be different...

I think the aim will to fit it perfectly with the stand. I'm sure it might be seen at the meeting next week. Good prove very beneficial having an holiday inn at the side of the executive boxes

It's on the second floor, but I think it's the gym that has a view of the pitch, except that the shutters would be down during games, preventing gym-goers from viewing the game.

But what if they have season tickets?

My word I'm slow.

Nice to meet you!

Out of interest, who benefits financially from a hotel, Corney or the club?

And if he ever manages to sell the club, does he keep the hotel or is it sold with the club?

why is it that there should be a question re who benefits from these developments? SC is a businessman and chairman and part owner of Latics, I'd suggest anyone in his position and situation would be cutting deals that are beneficial for both club and therefore himself?

Thanks for the pictures, Diego - I just poured myself a pint and enjoyed the slideshow!

FAN-BLOODY-TASTIC!

Just cast your minds back 3 years and -

- this wasn't going to happen, right? and if it did, we were talking bus shelter.

- Just a couple of months ago, work had come to a halt and all the metalwork had all gone rusty! obviously, Paul was out of his depth.

- F.C. United were building their entire stadium in less time. Well, with due respect to them, it's abundantly clear from these pictures (and the recent pictures of F.C. United) that to compare the 2 projects is utterly pointless. You could even wonder why their project is costing so much.

Huge amount of kudos are due to Mr. Corney, Paul Whitehead and the club for the scale, scope and sheer beauty of the thing, WELL DONE!

Don't forget folks, club has announced a fans open event/tour on Wednesday 29th April, and for corporate enquiries on Thursday 30th.

Think they are both Pm/evening events.

Enquiries to Jenny Warburton at the club

I'm thinking of taking half a day off and go on the hunt to find my brick.

Forgot to add, at the fans meeting it was confirmed there is going to be four bars.

Two on the concourse, two I presume for seating and watching matches on although there will be tv in and around the concourses too

It was mentioned that they will be open pre and post match. Possibly for big sporting events too like World Cup. I will presume it will be the two seating bars.

After going to an Evening with Andy Ritchie on Friday (which Ricky Holden gate crashed), it would be a crying shame if there isn't a bar in there named after Ricky Holden which only serves ale in coffee cups.

On his own event last night, he said in good humour that he was mightly miffed he hardly got any man of the match awards yet he set up most of the goals, so if he gets his name anywhere in the new stand he will be happy.

Archived