Philliskirk Signs Two-Year Deal

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/article/20140502-philliskirk-contract-extension-1522927.aspx

Signed on a two-year contact extension, also with the option of a third year.

Hopefully we'll see the better out of him next season, like what we saw in cup competitions. I think he's a very good player personally, but has had the tendency to go missing in games. But, he's still young, which is an advantage.

Great news that one contract extension is signed... hopefully more to come this week and next week before they all go on holiday.

Great news, getting him signed up early doors.

Looked quality first half of the season then as you mentioned started to get lost in games, hopefully after a proper pre-season (as he was signed late this season) he will be firing next year.

Great news!

LJ needs to decide where he wants him to play and let him improve in that position. Its very good to be able to switch all the time but a little continuity will help with the players over all improvment and form IMO

Great news!

LJ needs to decide where he wants him to play and let him improve in that position. Its very good to be able to switch all the time but a little continuity will help with the players over all improvment and form IMO

Agreed.

He's our top scorer, an IMO our best finisher. Yet has played big chunks of the season on the left wing. Very, very strange from LJ. Especially with our lack of goals.

Given a proper run up top I think he would have had 15+ this year. I'll be really miffed if he doesn't get a proper go in his preferred position next year.

He's quality for our budget.

I think he would be a class Each way bet on top goalscorer in the league next year....definitely think he has more in his locker than Porter showed in his first season...if Philli can learn to be in the right place at the right time like Porter managed in his second season he will be class!

I wouldn't mind us signing an experienced striker on a 1 year deal to be the first choice to lead the line next year, with a view to give Philliskirk and JCH the chance to be our strike partnership for the season after. Maybe with Turner keeping them on their toes.

Great news that Philliskirk has signed for the medium/long term.

Excellent news. He may not have continued to hit the heights of early season form, but there's always something that tells you there's a very talented and intelligent footballer in him. I'm sure we'll see more of his undoubted talent next season. Now let us sign Weso, Grounds, Smith, Lockwood, Wilson and Rachubka and we'll have the spine of an excellent team.

Good news. I do wonder what LUG plans for him. Presumably we'll be after at least one decent striker to replace Rooney and probably McDonald and JCH will play a lot of games. Is DP going to be our schemer? I'd rather not have him first choice out wide.

If LJ wants to play one up front, we'll have JCH, Philly and I reckon one more battling it out for that role, plus Turner and Bove as development players.

If he wants to be able to play two up front, it'll be any two from JCH, Philly and maybe two more (one permanent and one on loan).

Yep, good news this. Happy with the extention of his deal.

Decent little player is Philli.

IMO, he has 2 attributes that should stand him in good stead moving forwards - he has very decent composure on the ball and in front of goal; he doesnt panic in possession nor when chances come his way, and he has clever movement generally.

Where his game has tailed off over recent months is IMO, he hasn't looked to drive forward with the ball or off the ball. He has tended to pick it up, and merely turn and pass it on.

I dont see him as a focal point striker, but i do see him as a striker. IMO, he should be either just behind the lone striker - not a midfielder, a genuine withdrawn striker - or as the 'other' striker in a front 2. That does and would see the best of him i feel, if his early season form is to gone off?

He is, whether its to his detriment or not, also a very handy player to have in the sqaud / side.

He will give his all wherever he's played, and though they're not his best position, he can fill in at LM, CM, ACM and RM if needed. From interviews and quotes, he also seems a bit of a 'Kieran Lee' type who rarely causes any issues off the field and just gets on with the job.

He does need to play as a striker, but -IMO, he'll be all the better for this season, having got a good 40 games under his belt for the 1st time of his career.

Good news, hopefully more to come soon...

What? You mean you dont want Millar signed on a 2 / 3 year deal then?

Why ever not?????

I gave it a lot of thought, but after last season he should have kicked on, instead he looks like a player who is just not up to it. I know he hasn't been given too many chances but he should be running through walls to make sure he gets a 1st team game. Time to say goodbye and good luck elsewhere.

Good news, more so because I suspect he will not be the highest paid player in the squad.

Q. When was the last time Oldham resigned their top scorer to a long contract?

It's been a while, I'm thinking it might be one of 2 people with a gold brick, (Oooooh) Roger Palmer or Andy Ritchie('s magic). Edited by rudemedic