James Wesolowski

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some would call it good business. It's probably no different to what players are doing when they get their agents to tart them out to the highest bidder.

This is a great point. Players are constantly holding clubs to ransom so if we're taking a firm stance on what we think players are worth and not budging then fair play. I'd rather the club be run that way rather than giving in to agent wage demands. It's June, 2 months to find a replacement. Plenty of time.

If I was LJ or SC then I would be offering reduced terms to those who played last season.

We have a limited budget and need to bring in better quality players. We improved last season on the season before but there was potential to do better. If we can sign Wesolowski & Rachubka on less and free up funds to further strengthen then we take the gamble. If they were the best out there then we would obviously fight to keep them within reason of them wishing to remain with us on a fair wage - speaks volumes that we didn't fight too much on Wesolowski.

If a few hundred quid a week could be saved to spend on and secure the likes of Leon Clarke then bye bye Wes, don't hit your arse on the door on the way out.

The more i think about this, the more it reminds me of Lee Croft last season.

It was said he was offered a deal, and that he was given a short amount of time to sign it. It was pretty darn obvious the contract offer was peace-meal at best; and that really; LJ wasn't interested in re-signing Croft.

It looks and sounds like Wes was offered a deal, but on reduced terms than he had been on. Sensible i'd say, regardless of Wes being a very consistent player for us. I guess LJ has assessed it and balanced what he thinks Wes is actually worth in the current market, not what he was being paid, and has come to the conclusion that the offer made reflected what he felt was fair.

I'm really looking forward to see who is coming in now. As others have said, we've had a cracking replacement brought in for another senior player in the Grounds to Mills change up. Let's see who comes in to replace Wes now...

Last year the PFA reported that the average wages for League 1 and 2 players were:

• League One: £1,700 to £2,500 a week
  • League Two: £1,300 to £1,500 a week

I wonder how much an increase it takes for a player to up sticks and move to another part of the country?

For all those unhappy about letting Wes go can someone please tell me if he was so great for us why did he not go to another league 1 club or above. Why did this player who will be such a big loss drop to league 2?

If he was that much of a Influence surley we would have tried harder to keep him wouldn't we. There must be plenty of league 1 clubs who could have matched the Shrewsbury offer.They didn't though! Wonder why...

Edited by palmer1

The internet attracts all types. I find that a good dose of cynicism is probably a good way to approach information provided unless you've identified a particular poster as getting it right more often than not or if the information fits in with other things.

Your information matched the way the club sometimes treats players. They will regularly offer a lower value contact to an experienced pro. If I was on the receiving end I'd see it as being "messed about" which matches what Rachubka was quoted as saying. I've seen a text message from Filipe Morais before he moved on that suggested a 50% pay cut was on the table.

Some would call it good business. It's probably no different to what players are doing when they get their agents to tart them out to the highest bidder.

So when I read your Rachubka post in seemed reasonable. My instinct to this thread was one of scepticism because I don't think Wesolowski should be playing at a lower level. But I think he still has some sort of family connection to Leicester so a move to Shrewsbury gets him a bit closer to that and they are a similarly sized club to us.

Leon Clarke on a permanent deal? Doesn't seem to fit. Loan, perhaps, but I can't see us moving into that wage category. Although we somehow managed to get Rooney last season so strange things do happen.

If people choose not to believe a post that's their choice. I don't see it as a reason to stop posting similar information in future though. For every poster on here there are ten others reading, many of whom will take things at face value. Carry on sharing what you know - most information is second hand - if some see that as a problem who gives a :censored:?

Well said

We have a player that won player of the year. Well liked at the club. He decides to drop down a division because we wouldn't match terms that Shrews offer.

We then have to go out and actively search and possibly pay for another player to replace him. We don't know if the new player will fit into the team, (or dressing room). Just because a player has done well at another club doesn't mean he'll be a success here. Recent examples being Rooney, Feeney, etc etc......

In my opinion, this is just a poor poor decision. Just hope it doesn't bite us in the ass when we can't find a replacement and Winchester is getting battered all over the park........

Our club is starting to become a really unfunny joke.

For all those unhappy about letting Wes go can someone please tell me if he was so great for us why did he not go to another league 1 club or above. Why did this player who will be such a big loss drop to league 2?

If he was that much of a Influence surley we would have tried harder to keep him wouldn't we. There must be plenty of league 1 clubs who could have matched the Shrewsbury offer.They didn't though! Wonder why...

Nobody likes a smart arse telling them 'i told you so.'

And at least it raised something like £60 for playershare from disbelieving Weso fans. That may go towards the wages of a better partner for Korey Smith

We have a player that won player of the year. Well liked at the club. He decides to drop down a division because we wouldn't match terms that Shrews offer.

We then have to go out and actively search and possibly pay for another player to replace him. We don't know if the new player will fit into the team, (or dressing room). Just because a player has done well at another club doesn't mean he'll be a success here. Recent examples being Rooney, Feeney, etc etc......

In my opinion, this is just a poor poor decision. Just hope it doesn't bite us in the ass when we can't find a replacement and Winchester is getting battered all over the park........

See Crofty the year before. LJ gets paid to make these decisions and they have to be based on sound commercial logic! He gets my support!

This is a great point. Players are constantly holding clubs to ransom so if we're taking a firm stance on what we think players are worth and not budging then fair play.

Players don't hold clubs to ransom, well, not in this situation anyway. The market decided what Weso was worth, a league 2 club met the market value. We wanted to pay under it, for reasons decided by LJ.

I'd have been happy if he'd played out his career with us. There's something quite nice about that sort of thing in this day and age.

But at what point do you stop giving in to wage demands? It's suggested that Dickov emptied the PlayerShare account last time around to pay his signing on fee. By all accounts he got £10k when we beat Forest, even though he was suspended for that game. He will have been one of the big earners at the club. And, while I admire the way he gets stuck in, he's not exactly a ball playing / creative / dynamic midfielder that wins us games.

If he's on £2k a week and the manager thinks he can get somebody more creative for £1,500 a week then you need to trust that judgement. Much as we trusted the judgement to pay him good money as part of his last deal.

I'd have had no problem with Wes staying. But if we want to have a better team I can see the case for letting him go.

Edited by opinions4u

I'd have been happy if he'd played out his career with us. There's something quite nice about that sort of thing in this day and age.

But at what point do you stop giving in to wage demands? It's suggested that Dickov emptied the PlayerShare account last time around to pay his signing on fee. By all accounts he got £10k when we beat Forest, even though he was suspended for that game. He will have been one of the big earners at the club. And, while I admire the way he gets stuck in, he's not exactly a ball playing / creative / dynamic midfielder that wins us games.

If he's on £2k a week and the manager thinks he can get somebody more creative for £1,500 a week then you need to trust that judgement. Much as we trusted the judgement to pay him good money as part of his last deal.

I'd have had no problem with Wes staying. But if we want to have a better team I can see the case for letting him go.

this is where I am.

See Crofty the year before. LJ gets paid to make these decisions and they have to be based on sound commercial logic! He gets my support!

I think he got Crofty wrong, he got 11 assists and he would have been useful, but he thought the likes of Dayton and Sidney could do a better job.

I see less of a case with Wes though. If any kind of footballer is more common, it's the hard working less creative ones.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

I think that's way off the mark....if LJ had wanted Wes badly enough he'd have secured his services a few weeks ago. It is pretty obvious to me a replacement has already been lined up.

I would imagine Wes was one of our top earners and in the present climate we can probably secure the services of a better player for similar or less.

We are on a limited budget and have a stand to finance.....I trust LJ to utilise funds in a way that will give us the best team available and to continue to make steady progress without breaking the bank.

Players don't hold clubs to ransom, well, not in this situation anyway. The market decided what Weso was worth, a league 2 club met the market value. We wanted to pay under it, for reasons decided by LJ.

I think they do, regularly. But agreed, definitely not in this case.

The market decided what Weso was worth, a league 2 club met the market value. We wanted to pay under it, for reasons decided by LJ.

Hopefully for the same wages that Wes was on we can amaze you by attracting a * Championship player or;

For lower wages we can attract a defensive midfielder to allow Korey Smith to play the attacking role to which he is, in my opinion, better suited

* NB I will not quote the signing of Mills to you as you will say he was bound for a League 1 club at best. I view him as a Championship player though!

just out of curiosity chaddysmoker or palmer1 do you think smith justifies his lofty wages, for most of last season he was on the missing list for me and struggled badly just after xmas for a couple of months, isnt he too easily replaceable ?

It is pretty obvious to me a replacement has already been lined up.

I would imagine Wes was one of our top earners.

If a replacement has been lined up then fair do' and it makes all of this moot.

And if we get rid of our top earners every single year and replace them with cheaper then we will end up with a full team earning peanuts. And if u pay peanuts, you get monkeys. And to misquote Alan Hansen, you won't win anything with monkeys.

Edited by BlueJazzer