Where are you at Boundary Park?

How many other teams will have a bigger league away attendance than fans who went to a home league game this season?

I know there are a few people who only do away games, because our home games, (where we are top of the home form table having won 5 on the bounce) are boring compared to away games - where we have won one all season.

Over 1000 went to Chesterfield. Over 33% of our home gate vs Coventry.

To me it is a strange mentality.

3200 have been sold for Rochdale. With perhaps a hundred in the home end.

Can anything be done to change this? Keep winning at home is probably all we can do

It means the 3000 we do have are a very loyal passionate bunch, we can spread the word and Ive managed to persuade one or two to take in a game recently but theres no doubting pound for pound you cant beat an away day, we havent won for 5 away from home yet the away days is all people are talking about the club have to ask the question - Why ???

There's been no incentive to go to home games, poor fare served up on and off the field and a distinct lack of atmosphere for many years.

On an away day, it's more about a day out, the journey to a different ground, the beer, the feeling of being 'little old Oldham' and the knowledge that 80% of the crowd are going to be singing unlike at home where people are spread out

I go both home and away but there is no doubting the away days are miles better.

For me personally, it's the fact everyone has a few beers and a good sing song together. It's vital we keep the atmosphere going from the Bradford game. Especially for the younger ones who are the future of our club.

If the kids are enjoying it and having a sing, they will keep coming and maybe even start bringing their mates.

I'm not saying everyone has to sing, but the ones who do keep it up and sing louder! We NEED the younger generation of fans to have a good time at BP.

As a % of home gates Latics have always been well supported away ,

I remember seeing a table many years ago that based on away fans we were about 6th place in the entire league including premier clubs.

Keep winning home matches and stay in the top 10 and we should be seeing 5/6000 at home soon.

I think it's because we have about 4-5K fans who regularly attend home games, but only 3K make it there at the same time for cost or other perhaps time commitment reasons.

When it comes to a big one off away day, a higher percentage of the 4-5K turn out together as it's usually a better day out.

Without wanting to open up a can of worms - we simply HAVE to tap into our Asian communities.

Not only because a lot live in the surrounding areas of the ground so it's easy for them to get to, but because the majority of them won't have seen a live game before.

Get players into their schools for a kick about and give away free tickets to a game or two. Make them think that supporting your local team is cool!

Most importantly - make them feel welcome when they do come, because they ARE welcome! One of my earlier memories of Latics is sitting in the Lookers upper and an Asian family being racially abused by a small number of our supporters.

I remember a survey a few years ago on why they didn't come to Oldham games and the majority claimed they felt unsafe attending games at BP. We need to change this and get them down!

I

It means the 3000 we do have are a very loyal passionate bunch, we can spread the word and Ive managed to persuade one or two to take in a game recently but theres no doubting pound for pound you cant beat an away day, we havent won for 5 away from home yet the away days is all people are talking about the club have to ask the question - Why ???

I have only done 2 away games so far this season (Bristol City and Peterborough) due to not being able to afford more, but I have a season ticket. I can hand on heart say that on Saturday, whilst I did enjoy it, it wasn't as much as I enjoyed Bradford, Coventry or leaving the Walsall and Scunthorpe games.

Maybe I'm just more about winning than the day out?

Without wanting to open up a can of worms - we simply HAVE to tap into our Asian communities.

Not only because a lot live in the surrounding areas of the ground so it's easy for them to get to, but because the majority of them won't have seen a live game before.

Get players into their schools for a kick about and give away free tickets to a game or two. Make them think that supporting your local team is cool!

Most importantly - make them feel welcome when they do come, because they ARE welcome! One of my earlier memories of Latics is sitting in the Lookers upper and an Asian family being racially abused by a small number of our supporters.

I remember a survey a few years ago on why they didn't come to Oldham games and the majority claimed they felt unsafe attending games at BP. We need to change this and get them down!

what this man said!!! not one of them feels they can support oldham after previous events, if we change this we add an extra 100 to the gate immediately... then the possibility of more coming!

I think it's because we have about 4-5K fans who regularly attend home games, but only 3K make it there at the same time for cost or other perhaps time commitment reasons.

When it comes to a big one off away day, a higher percentage of the 4-5K turn out together as it's usually a better day out.

Quite. That's why it's bollocks when people say loads of tickets for the big Cup games go to United/City fans etc, of course some do but the vast, vast majority of the 'extras' are us pay on the dayers who all turn up at the same time.

As a % of home gates Latics have always been well supported away ,

I remember seeing a table many years ago that based on away fans we were about 6th place in the entire league including premier clubs.

Keep winning home matches and stay in the top 10 and we should be seeing 5/6000 at home soon.

http://www.football-league.co.uk/documents/travelling-fans-as-percentage-of-home-fans549-2006729.pdf

Last season's. 15th best as proportion of home fans. Coventry anomaly and League One North this season should move us further up that table I'd imagine.

There's been no incentive to go to home games, poor fare served up on and off the field and a distinct lack of atmosphere for many years.

On an away day, it's more about a day out, the journey to a different ground, the beer, the feeling of being 'little old Oldham' and the knowledge that 80% of the crowd are going to be singing unlike at home where people are spread out

Unless the SportsDirect.com Park can become more welcoming (the new stand will help) apart from being in promotion slots I don't think to many more will come along. There's nothing in the Main Stand to entice anyone to arrive early as it is..

http://www.football-league.co.uk/documents/travelling-fans-as-percentage-of-home-fans549-2006729.pdf

Last season's. 15th best as proportion of home fans. Coventry anomaly and League One North this season should move us further up that table I'd imagine.

Agree as this figure is very much dependent on the geographical position of teams in the league. The last couple of seasons has seen us top heavy with southern teams which no doubt affected our travelling contingent.

This season sees a lot more local teams with a lot less travelling involved.

We are also playing much better and nearer top 6....I wouldn't be surprised to see us above 20% and up near the top of this table come the season's end especially if we continue to perform as we have.

Unless the SportsDirect.com Park can become more welcoming (the new stand will help) apart from being in promotion slots I don't think to many more will come along. There's nothing in the Main Stand to entice anyone to arrive early as it is..

I agree

Most people seem to be of the conclusion that an away day is a good day out, Boundary park in its current state simply isn't value for money and to most is not seen as a good day out. The facilities are poor the transport links are ok but could improve a new stand will help but I think we need to have 2 more to get people back, its 2014 and our ground does not reflect that.

Our away support shows that their is a potential fan base to tap into should things improve.

It doesn't help either when you have a director and apparent supporters representative on the board who is clearly out of touch and starts wagging his finger at people for staying away.

It will be interesting to know what percentage of our average home gate comes from outside of Oldham (excluding away fans of course). It's frustrating that home crowds are low but I believe there will be hundreds of different reasons why some fans have stopped going. Any big game is a good opportunity for the club to issue questionnaires with tickets to find out some of the answers.

It will be interesting to know what percentage of our average home gate comes from outside of Oldham (excluding away fans of course). It's frustrating that home crowds are low but I believe there will be hundreds of different reasons why some fans have stopped going. Any big game is a good opportunity for the club to issue questionnaires with tickets to find out some of the answers.

Not sure they would like some of the answers...

I see plenty of heads at the aways that I never see at SportsDirect.com Park.

Not sure they would like some of the answers...

I see plenty of heads at the aways that I never see at SportsDirect.com Park.

I suspect your inference is correct. However, there are plenty of people who have been going to BP for ages, but who I don't recognise at away games, probably because they sit in the RRE or Main Stand.

Away games are an excuse for lads and lasses to get away from the Saturday family routine, with more drinking time, and a better atmosphere guaranteed because its 'us against the world'. A home game is a habit, easy to break, but an away game is an 'event' looked forward to with some excitement. These trips also attract lapsed supporters and mates who may support other clubs, but who would not want to go to BP.

I think we have tried going down that route before, free tickets, school visits, begging it in the local media etc for what ever reason it hasn't worked, why should it be done only in Asian communities though what about amongst the polish community or heaven forbid the majority british working class areas? Edited by OAFCM35

I think we have tried going down that route before, free tickets, school visits, begging it in the local media etc for what ever reason it hasn't worked, why should it be done only in Asian communities though what about amongst the polish community or heaven forbid the majority british working class areas?

It quite obviously hasn't been pushed hard enough.

We as fans need to stand up and let them know they're welcome.

Asians, Poles, ask whoever the :censored: you like as long as they turn up.

Quite. That's why it's bollocks when people say loads of tickets for the big Cup games go to United/City fans etc, of course some do but the vast, vast majority of the 'extras' are us pay on the dayers who all turn up at the same time.

Indeed or people who supported us a few years ago, haven't changed allegiances but have stopped going for whatever reason. I know a few ST holders who if asked who their team was they wouldn't say Oldham but they still have a ST at ISZ.

Indeed or people who supported us a few years ago, haven't changed allegiances but have stopped going for whatever reason. I know a few ST holders who if asked who their team was they wouldn't say Oldham but they still have a ST at ISZ.

I never cease to be amazed - people putting money into the Club by buying a ST, but not going to BP! They should be applauded, and their number should be borne in mind when looking at attendance figures. Perhaps they do it to guarantee first choice of tickets for Fleetwood, Liverpool, Everton, etc.