The crowd was that raucous I actually feel quite sad because we're unlikely to see a crowd like that travelling like we did again this season. Like post holiday blues.

If we stay in contention for the playoffs or automatic promotion yesterday will pale into insignificance on several occasions

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have been to many big away followings over the years with Latics, and I have nothing against a passionate and at times slightly intimidating atmosphere being created. Especially at a local derby.

But at times on Saturday the hostility crossed a line for me - and seeing fans fighting in the stands, throwing punches at police and stewards, made me feel slightly ashamed and took a bit of the shine off what should have been a truly brilliant away day. I was there with my wife and my Dad, rather than a large group of mates, but what I have always like about following Latics is that I have always felt like I could take anyone to any game.

There will be mistakes made by Rochdale and the authorities in how they controlled and planned the game, but in the end, they are only an issue when supporters of both teams cannot be trusted to control themselves. It started when some Latics fans celebrated the second goal in the Rochdale end, which then lead to violence. From that point onwards there will be fault on all sides - Dale, Latics, Stewards and Police - but given the numbers of police and stewards and the atmosphere that was brewing I can understand (if not agree with) an approach that looks to restore order quickly, even if that means a few innocent people (Hogan for example) are expelled from the ground.

Even prior to the second goal, the area I was sat in had a sense of unease. There were large groups of very angry, drunk, men who were only interested in shouting and gesticulating abuse to the Rochdale fans - and barely watched the game itself. It created an atmosphere that was unpleasant, and one that I would associate with clubs like Leeds rather than our own.

In the end it didn't escalate as far as it could have done, and I hope that it doesn't have any repercussions for the club in terms of fines etc.

Yes, all morons together. I was sat in the main stand, it wasn't a nice experience and not because I felt in danger or anything but because I couldn't celebrate or shout anything. I was sat next to a rabid Rochdale fan (my mate) and listening to him moaning about the diving from Jones, the offside for the 1st goal, the dive for the Pen etc was really hard work.

When you watch the first goal on TV you do think it is clearly offside....until No.17 pops into the view who clearly got the line all wrong.

What must be even more frustrating from a Dale fans point of view is that he appears to make no effort to get back and make ammends and instead just watches the action unfold. Given that the first shot is saved, he might have actually got back to cover the line and make Johnson's second effort more difficult.

The Chron seems to be quiet about the trouble but the MEN has given it full coverage.

Police: “We will now be viewing CCTV footage within and outside the ground to ascertain whether anymore offences were committed.” It’s a pity that doesn’t include the Dale keeper hitting Jones.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/watch-shocking-violence-rochdale-versus-8205541

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

methinks they're laying it on a bit thick with the "shocking violence". Shocking if you're right in the middle of it of course but I think most of us left the ground without needing a stiff drink to steady ourselves as we wrestled with the terrible mental images that'll haunt us for a lifetime

The Chron seems to be quiet about the trouble but the MEN has given it full coverage.

Police: “We will now be viewing CCTV footage within and outside the ground to ascertain whether anymore offences were committed.” It’s a pity that doesn’t include the Dale keeper hitting Jones.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/watch-shocking-violence-rochdale-versus-8205541

Send them the youtube video link, also to the FA and FL.

A lot of fuss over nothing.

There was no pitch encroachment to cause trouble, just to get into the right end, hardly a massive issue.

Further to that, not like any seats were ripped up and hurled about like you see at other clubs.

The violence was no worse than Bury, far from it.

Nobody seems to be mentioning the police officer throwing a punch in the away end, you'll all defend that right?

There was one chap who landed a fair few punches on stewards and police before being carried out by about 6 police holding his limbs as he kicked and wriggled.

Pretty appalling behaviour and something I have not seen before whilst watching Latics.

Whilst Rochdale policy regarding the ticket allocation and pay on the day is a factor - I don't think anyone should use that as a reason to hide from the fact our supporters couldn't be relied to behave themselves.