Barry Owen

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was interviewed by the Football League Show for their show tonight. Is he going to be wearing something slightly smarter than a fleece?

Onesie is my guess...

Bet he doesn't waste an opportunity to play the violin of self pity and two slag off the fans... But just the disloyal ones who at any point expected anything but the smallest of representation from him....

Edited by oafc0000

Pretty sure they'd have legal advice each time such a change has been made.

But I don't know that!

I'm assuming groundless conspiracy theory until shown otherwise.

Fair enough. But I think we already know which way this is heading. A current trust board member doesn't know whether the current trust owns the shares. It doesn't require a conspiracy theory to work that out. It's acutally a piece of piss. It's also a piece of piss for Corney simply to hand over £3 (the nominal value of three shares) to the Trust. My belief is that the current Trust owns :censored: all. One implication of that would be that Barry spunked the money people put into the buckets back in the day. Someone has to make a public statement sooner or later on whether the current trust owns shares in the club. We can then debate the implications.

Fair enough. But I think we already know which way this is heading. A current trust board member doesn't know whether the current trust owns the shares. It doesn't require a conspiracy theory to work that out. It's acutally a piece of piss. It's also a piece of piss for Corney simply to hand over £3 (the nominal value of three shares) to the Trust. My belief is that the current Trust owns :censored: all. One implication of that would be that Barry spunked the money people put into the buckets back in the day. Someone has to make a public statement sooner or later on whether the current trust owns shares in the club. We can then debate the implications.

To be fair, IIRC PEter Heginbottom negotiated the deal. Obviously once in Corney's hand he as free to do with it as he wished. I asked at the time, add was told we were not going to get anything if we tried to negotiate more. Clearly, pokerwise, we blinked first.

I thought that this was agreed earlier yesterday in that Chris Hill was going to find out on Monday evening what shares are owned by the Trust, why are you simply now ignoring that and trying to highlight the situation again?

You are doing nothing but speculate again even though as you admit you know nothing about Company Law. See what Chris says after Monday evening.

Only after that can we debate the implications. Until then why dont you just shut the eff up!

The fans rep once again fails to mention whether or not at any stage did they investigate the opinions of the fans he was representing ( sorry underdog I don't count a conversation with you lol)

He almost.......almost comes across as though he has a financial stake in the club

I asked him again today for a one to one meeting........I was left hanging

Owen said: "We knew there would be a storm to bear and were prepared to accept a lot of that and take it on the chin because we believed strongly in the right to employ this man.

"We did not anticipate the amount of sponsorship pressure, which was understandable because they were under extreme pressure.

"In the end it came down purely to the finances.

"We would have been in extreme financial difficulty with the withdrawal of sponsorships we would have had to withstand and it would have put the club into serious jeopardy."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30762958

So it wasn't abuse... It wasn't death threats... It wasn't rape threats... It wasn't mod rule... It was MONEY.... ?

One thing I could of guaranteed on Monday was Sponsors pulling out. Jesus wept....

Edited by oafc0000

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30762958

So it wasn't abuse... It wasn't death threats... It wasn't rape threats... It wasn't mod rule... It was MONEY.... ?

One thing I could of guaranteed on Monday was Sponsors pulling out. Jesus wept....

I think the biggie is OMBC.

Reading between the lines the council threatened to pull the plug on the £800k grant for community facilities in the new stand.

The fans rep once again fails to mention whether or not at any stage did they investigate the opinions of the fans he was representing ( sorry underdog I don't count a conversation with you lol)

He almost.......almost comes across as though he has a financial stake in the club

I asked him again today for a one to one meeting........I was left hanging

Barry's view is that representing the fans was never his job. Although this contradicts what he said about his role when he first started.

Barry's view is that representing the fans was never his job. Although this contradicts what he said about his role when he first started.

But before Barry decided to have this view he should have stood down from the trust and been reappointed to the board by the club.

That would have given the fans a different voice on the board........if SC then decided to sign Evans without consulting the fans rep we would all know where we stood

The saddest thing about this is a hear Barry was a proper fan in the days before the power got to his head

As things stand, he's still a director of the club though.

He is still a Director of the club only as the Rep of the trust (currently anyway) and he has resigned from that but continues only on a transitional basis until the Trust replaces him, so realistically he is not in a position to speak independently as a Director of the club even though he may in the future be appointed in that position.

Can the Trust replace him as soon as possible so that he can actually realise where he is? Which he probably wont realise anyway!

It was always the money. Morals never, ever came into it. Even more disgusted that threats were suggested to try and explain the reason for pulling out to detract from the financial risk of signing Evans.

They were signing a decent striker on a fifteenth of what his salary was pre-conviction (admittedly it was a buyers market)....

The signing was in doubt as sponsors pulled out or threatened to pull out...

The signing was sweetened by Massey subsidising the wages and compensating for lost sponsorship at that stage.....

Council publicly stated that they were against the signing and any funding or support on the building of the new stand was in doubt...

...the Massey money would cover Verlin shortfall but not the stadium funding and :censored: knows what Ashley was to do as he was on the periphery awaiting the fall out.

Probably Owen was genuine in his pursuit to rehabilitate footballers but that was secondary to the economics of the deal. Owens fallen on his sword as his crusade wasn't what us, the fans, the fans he represented wanted, but he carried on regardless with what he thought was right.

Will Owen stay on the board? Don't care really as long as we have someone on there who represents us fans and acts only in agreement with us fans. More importantly, will Corney allow LJ to strengthen or still be licking his wounds over Evans?!