Barry Owen

'It came down purely to finances'

Not threats then?

Just when you thought "thats it, you can't be annoyed more by it" we are lead story on the BBC football website.

Due Dilligence!! More buzzwords to spout.

Mob Rule

Due Dilligence

Any more?

Look at me, look at me... I will keep stirring the hornets nest...

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They will if they don't communicate back to those they represent.

It doesn't have to be like that.

I really truely think you believe that. If the new rep lasts say 5 years and in those 5 years, you've asked him/her 10 times a question you feel is really relevant, but his/her honest answer is "I can't tell you it's sensitive, but trust me when I can say I will". You might think he's/she's not telling me.

Now multiply that with 50 people who think he's/she's not telling me and you all start to talk about it, post it on here. Then one say's he's/she's to cosy in the boardroom, could have told us this or that. Next thing you know, it's true, he/she is too cosy.

That's how it all started with Barry....now he's Blatter, cos after a while, he probably started saying in the boardroom, do you know these fans don't believe me. don't trust me with anything I tell them. Corney say's well Barry I could have told you that, the other board members concur...

See how it happens? The I trust you gangs are formed....trouble is, they are opposite gangs.

13 years down the lines all communications and trust have gone.

Edited by Lags

He didn't need to be involved with everything tho?

Barry got too involved, became more club than trust. The club is more mature than it was after 2004, the trust person should have a specific oversight and engagement role, not an addition board member.

Maybe so.....

I am seriously leaving it now........ trust/playershare the lot. I have my belief's on how it works, the new blood have theirs. I was just trying to point out it's not black and white. Whoever gets the job......beware.

It wasn't JUST he did it too long...

But you do have a point... One of the inherent problems is he did it for 12 :censored:ing years!!!

Back in the day when the masses where saying bollocks like only Barry can do the job, SC won't accept anyone else and so on... I was screaming it was bollocks and the trust should set a maximum period the fan on the board can sit. Four years makes sense to me...

We should of had a number of reps by now... Instead of this mickey mouse dictatorship...

The leader of the trust should also not be the person who sits on the board. Something else I have been saying for years. Its too much work to do both roles. The trust directors should appoint the chairman... The fans / members should elect the Rep on the board...

Simple as that...

Three overdue reforms...

Lots of sense in there

I've just watched the interview on the football league show.

Barry, [REMOVED]. I look forward to further displaying my limited vocabulary to your face at the next first opportunity (Ed: OWTB doesn't condone this) but thank God you no longer represent me as a representative of the trust.

You have no idea the damage you have done.

Does there even need to be a rep on the club board?

I think there are now 5 club directors (including Corney, 4 if you disregard Owen) plus Neil Joy as chief executive.

Why can't one of them and/or Warburton come along to a meeting and listen to what is being said - they should be in a position on the day to say "yes, that it something we can do or look into/no, that won't be feasible"

It's been mentioned plenty of times but at some point the lines between the two roles became blurred, maybe intentionally, maybe not - remove that conflict of interest.

And hold the monthly meeting on a Saturday match day.

Having just read and seen the interview with Barry Owen on the BBC website. Then watched the interview with the commercial director of ZEN office.

ZEN office supplies did something which the latics current board didn't do this week and have not done for a long time. Listened to the majority of the fans!

The one main thing I got out of this mess over the last week with this current board, is how much they disregard what's left of there fanbase! The only time they engage the fans is to rant about attendances. The only time they listen to the fans is when there finances are threatened, through poor season ticket sales and the threat of sponsorship loss! It does not need to be like this!

They have got to realize that the mess this has caused for club and fans. Before any reconciliation can be done.

I thought that this was agreed earlier yesterday in that Chris Hill was going to find out on Monday evening what shares are owned by the Trust, why are you simply now ignoring that and trying to highlight the situation again?

You are doing nothing but speculate again even though as you admit you know nothing about Company Law. See what Chris says after Monday evening.

Only after that can we debate the implications. Until then why dont you just shut the eff up!

Point taken. I should've shut my face but got drunk and became repetitive.

Was that interview needed? Did it add any value or anything extra to what had been issued previously?

It was a Barry Owen self promotion video that unfortunately further emphasised how detached he is to the fans he was supposedly representing, public opinion and building bridges after the preceding events. It was "I want five minutes to tell you how I - not the club - feels and why I'm right and those who don't agree with me are wrong and frankly (I can imagine he uses the word 'frankly' a lot) stupid!!!"

The bloke comes over as an arrogant, stubborn, self-righteous buffoon who can't control his emotions. Even in that short interview you could sense his anger and I would assume he was the person who spoke to Sky on the phone last Thursday when they stated that had spoken to a very emotional representative.

I'm glad he's not representing us anymore (obviously he's been representing and promoting himself for ages anyway) and I just hope he's not the voice of the club to the media as a matter of urgency. Whenever I've been fortunate to be around the board and officials I always sense the mood changes, eyes roll etc whenever he waltzes in.

I wonder if him standing down is greeted with sadness or cheers by fabs and officials alike - I guess the test is whether he remains on the club board or if he's jettisoned as soon as a new Trust Chair is appointed and the reason him being there no longer exists?!

Edited by Midsblue

On a point of information re the suggested absence of threats, Martin Thomas of Optima Cars, one of the Club’s sponsors, has Tweeted:

Martin Thomas @m4rtinthomas · Jan 8

Now people stating that the threats have been fabricated... You just couldn't make it up...

Martin Thomas @m4rtinthomas · Jan 8

To satisfy those with a thirst for wanting confirmation and disbelieving the club re the threats, I can tell you they are very real

Apologies if it's been mentioned elsewhere, but which sponsors have actually now left, and which have stuck with us after not signing Evans?

I'd have thought the RRE sponsorship deal would be quite lucrative with its exposure to away fans tickets etc.

Very poor interview did not need to be made even if tv crew present as only confirms REAL reason was money,,,, not any threats despite those being real and disgusting.

"Oldham were going to get a footballer that in other circumstances they wouldn't have been able to afford," he said. "This was driven by football reasons." stating obvious then a comment Owen says the financial implication of losing sponsors would have put the Latics' future in jeopardy. We all know that but not the reason given to press.... Why was that? When the threats not reported according to Police insulting when stated as being reason for deal not happening. Makes no sense not reporting does it? Someone made threats to my family I would want to see it was investigated.

Sounds like twisting truth from somewhere and no doubt some issues re threats true but to use as the reason then say above is crazy. We all knew money was the key.

Clear it looks like his status on board is now secure via Simon Corney gifting a position as implies hes staying on board , is he? ,If wrong apologise..... despite leaving trust role as some reward for time served experience. MANY people could do a very good job on a board of directors but never get that chance but it usually comes only when you are willing to invest your own money to back your own judgements. Not play it like Football Manager and expect others to do the funding. If Barry is putting more than retirement time in well good luck to him if its a role of Simon's gatekeeper no thank you.

This is not a dig at Barry the person as sure he has good intentions in his own mind but at a club continuing to dig holes for themselves. Ill timed interview on behalf of club and raises more questions than extinguishes others.

Kill the story and move on. Close to finishing me off and they will struggle to get me back after 50+ years of support. Cant stand the lies. Know not alone in this.

Club statement on Barry:

http://mobile.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/article/club-statement-barry-owen-2193466.aspx

Following the announcement that Barry Owen has resigned as Chair of Trust Oldham, Oldham Athletic (2004) AFC Limited can confirm that Mr Owen will remain as a Board Director of the company until a new representative of the Trust is appointed.

Club statement on Barry:

http://mobile.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/article/club-statement-barry-owen-2193466.aspx

Following the announcement that Barry Owen has resigned as Chair of Trust Oldham, Oldham Athletic (2004) AFC Limited can confirm that Mr Owen will remain as a Board Director of the company until a new representative of the Trust is appointed.

Thanks O4U I hadnt seen that so surely the only reason to add this to his resignation from the Trust is to clarify that he will leave the Board of OA(2004) AFC Ltd,

please please please let that be the case and can the Trust please appoint his replacement this week, even if it just a short term placement subject to an election at some time quite early in the future, say April/May 2015. Now is the time to do somethng!