Barry Owen

On a point of information re the suggested absence of threats, Martin Thomas of Optima Cars, one of the Clubs sponsors, has Tweeted:

Martin has offered to let me listen to a recording of the threats. I said he should let GMP listen, not necessarily me.

Corney is in a volatile state, and I just can't believe what he says. It's very like him to say that threats have been made, but he had no reason to do so publicly. Ched's people are claiming that Ched killed the deal because people could've lost their jobs if he'd signed. And I think we can all join the dots about Oldham council's position. That's two great reasons why Ched didn't or couldn't sign. Why mention threats to staff that no one seems prepared to contact GMP about? The people making any such threats need to be brought to book.

I'm a trusting chap. I'd like to believe what Martin says and I'll take him up on that offer.

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other than unpaid lackey, why would Corney keep him around?

Unpaid lackey. Why wouldn't Corney keep him around?

It's notable that Barry has taken the vast majority of flack this week, deflecting much of it away from Corney.

As for the unnecessary interview, perhaps Barry's keen to get as much exposure as possible since he's made clear he has ambitions of working with the FA. I think that aim has been much more at the forefront of his mind than representing fans and the Trust for a long time.

I believe there were threats. I think they should be reported to the police.

I also think openly telling "the mob" that the threats are the reason for Latics backing out was absolute madness, even if it was true.

Agree. I don't care to be tarnished by association. Some of the online chatter was fruity enough but I didn't see much on either side that was bang out of order. If someone truly stepped out of line as alleged, it needs sorting - or they need sorting.

The club statement was clear that it was the financial implications that decided wasn't it? I think it was some journalists on Twitter that were putting forward that as a reason behind the deal taking place based on they'd got wind of them and put two and two together.

After the week the club's had, I also don't have a problem with Barry telling people his personal view that Evans should be able to work. It was nice to get some clarity on his position. I wasn't pro Barry but I equally don't find the need to be outraged by everything he says.

My view was as Twis states above. The statement issued by the club on Thursday made it clear that the decision had been made because of the financial consequences of continuing with the real. The statement then went on to state that threats had been made to directors, staff and their family members. I fully understand why people have put these together and believe that the treats led to the decision but I don't think it is the case. The threats make a better story for the press though.

I have always had some sympathy for him when he has come under attack from keyboard warriors and the like, largely because criticism or abuse from people who are not willing to even say it under their own name is unacceptable in my eye. That is from my own experience in putting my head over the parapet in a very limited way and being personally hurt (yes, I am a sensitive soul) by that sort of behaviour.

No more sympathy of any sort.

His support of the signing put the club in utterly predictable and very real danger but worse than that his ongoing defence of the completely indefensible (I'm not talking the moral issue here, simply the business one) continues to make that sort of scenario entirely realistic - if you were approached as a business now to sponsor Oldham with that clown still being publicly defensive what would your answer be?

He is behaving as if he owns the club when he has no (to the best of my knowledge) financial stake in it.

I can understand why, having earned his living the way he did, he may have an interest in the rehabilitation of offenders and that would be admirable if he wasn't using the club to further those objectives.

If you want to do that Mr Owen, then go and do some volunteering work

As for the unnecessary interview, perhaps Barry's keen to get as much exposure as possible since he's made clear he has ambitions of working with the FA. I think that aim has been much more at the forefront of his mind than representing fans and the Trust for a long time.

Exactly this. If he's campaigning for a FA role then do it away from the club minus a club tie and not in the boardroom.

Simon Corney would have had to sanction this signing but according to local press, Owen started it and influenced the board members to agree with him on basis of Oldham Athletic being the one football club that rehabilitates convicted footballers needing a second chance.

I'm happy to be proved wrong but Owen and his crusade has probably created more division, bad press and disharmony within our club than anyone else with the exception of Chris Moore.

I've been in touch with Martin and others about the threats to staff. By implication, I accused Martin of lying about the threats, on the grounds that they were not reported to the police. The club is deliberating on whether to make a complaint, and I'm fully reassured that threats were made and that lines of acceptable behaviour were crossed, by whom we do not yet know.

In the heat of last week's fiasco and subsequently, I probably overstepped the mark of legit scepticism in that regard.

Thanks been in AandE / Hospital from 1.30am Sat morn to 3am today with dad hadnt seen this. Think hospital took PR lessons from latics. I was asked to give a blood pressure test early today as dad gone to CT scanner clue was no bed and hes 91 this week took its toll on me lol....

I went for a CT scan on my left foot the other week. When the nurse came in she said "so then, you're having problems with your right shoulder..." Close.

Thanks been in AandE / Hospital from 1.30am Sat morn to 3am today with dad hadnt seen this. Think hospital took PR lessons from latics. I was asked to give a blood pressure test early today as dad gone to CT scanner clue was no bed and hes 91 this week took its toll on me lol....

Hope he's okay Hallam

If those for the move can accept being not all people against the move were grouped together as a mob, but those making threats nagiving abuse should be grouped together and called a mob.

How many were actually giving abuse and threats?

I doubt the number was enough to make anything approaching a genuine mob.

I had a twitter discussion with Martin Thomas. I believe there were threats. He has been given access to hear them and offered them. But why have the police not been given the same access. And could not reporting it and the evidence be construed as obstruction?

Because it allows the vile perpetrator/s time to cover their tracks.

This from one of our IT sponsors indicates that the Cops had not been entirely truthful when they said no threats had been reported https://twitter.com/unclethargy/status/553700380081942528

Admittedly, neither him nor the car bloke are members of the board, which was what was originally said/reported.

My interest in it went as for as wanting to know the REAL reasoning for pulling out was. Barry said it was "In the end it came down purely to the finances". Other than that its an issue for them. Up to them if they report it or not.

I think the club where bat :censored: crazy to have brought all this :censored: down on the heads of themselves, their staff and the clubs sponsors.

Barry said "we" a few times in that interview, and that's his problem.

He see's himself as part of the club rather than the man at the head of the Trust, who sits on the board on behalf of the fans to make sure no Chris Moore can screw us over again.

The man is a liability whenever he opens his mouth, and my big worry with Mr. Corney considering his position, is that Barry's resignation from the trust is to leave the way clear for him to assume the role of club Chairman.

Barry said "we" a few times in that interview, and that's his problem.

He see's himself as part of the club rather than the man at the head of the Trust, who sits on the board on behalf of the fans to make sure no Chris Moore can screw us over again.

The man is a liability whenever he opens his mouth, and my big worry with Mr. Corney considering his position, is that Barry's resignation from the trust is to leave the way clear for him to assume the role of club Chairman.

Owen is finished at the club, don't worry about that.

www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/sport/football/football_league/article1505502

Hope that link works. very good read, however you'll need to subscribe to access the entire piece. If you believe the Journo it tells you all you need to know who drove what and who had the final say to sign CE. Who had the links in the first place who had the ultimate final say etc.

Sorry tried the link it doesn't work, so google the sunday times ched evans. you'll find the article.

Edited by Lags

Thanks Tracey .... not good fell 1 am yesterday head butted a cabinet with Alzheimer's and Cancer lots of drugs. Talking utter nonsense and thinks he is in Wales and 1913 so well suited for the board at BP. What you think? Last sensible conversation we had was "Have latics signed that lad they should do. "

Sign him up to play is say....aww bless, glad he's okay