Barry Owen

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Craig, your regular response to criticism of the trust is to ask the person to step up and then you shoot them down if they say no.

Do you understand what a trust is?

If it was successful it would have over 3000 opinions, few of which would step up. If you think only the board / volunteers should have a say, you have completely missed the point.

Until you grasp this, you will continue to repeat the same line ad nauseum.

Nope I don't. Lost interest to be frank. Show me where I said no one else can have a say? utter rubbish that Nigel. Any way leave it there.

I shall leave it now to others and watch. Other things have been discussed late on last night that has grabbed my interest. Hope it comes off.

Edited by Lags

Statement : Barry Owen

After consultation with Trust Oldham Directors, chairman Barry Owen has resigned from his position on the Trust Oldham board.

Barry Owen’s Statement:

Over the past few days I have spoken to a number of my colleagues on the Trust informing them of my decision to resign forthwith

My decision has nothing to do with recent events or criticism and is something that I have been considering over the past few months due to my growing commitments with the Club and the Football Association.

I have been at the helm for 12 years and worked with some brilliant Directors who are dedicated and loyal servants. I thank them for their support on many issues and the loyalty they have shown towards me.

I leave knowing that I have tried my best for all fans and whilst I deplore the masses of abuse from a minority, some of which has been libellous and harmful to my family, I have always tried to be objective and work above that conduct. I only hope that my replacement is never is such a position.

Those are the negative issues and on a positive note Trust movements in football have a huge part to play.Oldham must never lose its Trust and I will always remain a member to give support at all times. I will assist my colleagues over a transition period but then it will be time to move aside.

The time has come for a change of direction and new leadership is necessary to drive the Trust forward with new dimension.

Finally I would like to thank the majority of fans,Club staff, family and sponsors who have supportedme over the years and been a source of inspiration at some very difficult times. Thank you. I wish everyone well.

Barry Owen

Think I read somewhere this week that Barry has tried more than once to be elected to a role in the FA by board members of other clubs. He has apparently come up very short each time. #notsurprised

Clearly states on his statement

I'd say it's good of him to have fallen on his sword but he should have fallen previously.

Position was untenable after this week's events.

Hopeully this is the catalyst for change.

Exactly, whether he stays on the board or not is not an issue we have any say in but the trust position was untenable.

The statement is one of the better ones linked to Barry and in time I think memory will be better to him.

When it was all going to :censored: after Moore he stepped up and we all owe him thanks for that.

He leaves a gap that will be hard to fill but it had been time for a change for a while, hopefully whoever replaces him builds the confidence of the club's board whilst retaining the oversight role that the trust chair role requires.

Think I read somewhere this week that Barry has tried more than once to be elected to a role in the FA by board members of other clubs. He has apparently come up very short each time. #notsurprised

He told me himself that he had tried for election as the League Rep twice which was quickly followed by a chortling Neil Joy informing me he only got 1 or 2 votes each time