The Boycott of Home Matches

The boycott of home games  

373 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be boycotting home games for the duration of Ched Evans time if he is signed?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends on his perfomance and team efforts/league position

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I can't say that what I am going to do is a boycott.

But for the time being the going / not going issue has been made very straightforward for me.

20 years ago I only had myself to think about. Maybe I would have put up with it, as abhorrent and inept as this whole business has been. It's hard for me to say. I put up with Lee Hughes I suppose.

Now I have three kids, aged 12, seven and two.

At the weekend I had to explain to my seven year old who Ched Evans was and what rape was. (Thanks for that Ched, Barry, Simon et al)

I had to tell our 12 year old what Ched Evans had done and what the atmosphere and attitude of (some) oldham and away fans would likely be at matches. Maybe I'm wrong about the 'Ched Evans, he f***s who he wants' chants, but I doubt it.

Neither of them want to go again. Their mum certainly doesn't want them to go again.

2015 is my 30th anniversary of watching Oldham, I've been all over the country and must have seen somewhere between 500 & 750 matches in that time. Am I going to put my young kids into that? No i'm not.

Who knows what happens next, but there must be a fair old chance that's three supporters of the future lost forever, never mind what happens to me.

I would find it hard to forgive someone who cheats on my daughter to be frank.

Agreed. However, it may not be unforgivable. If you then believed that the said person had spent 2 years wrongfully in prison, you'd probably even begin to sympathise.

Understand it seems odd but it's obvious what the family's stance is.

Luis,

Can you give me a view of how you explained it to a 7 year old as I have one and at the moment his understanding is that he did something bad to a lady?

I understand your predicament walking in the shoes as a parent, rather than thinking about himself?

Cheers

Rob

But for the time being the going / not going issue has been made very straightforward for me.

20 years ago I only had myself to think about. Maybe I would have put up with it, as abhorrent and inept as this whole business has been. It's hard for me to say. I put up with Lee Hughes I suppose.

At the weekend I had to explain to my seven year old who Ched Evans was and what rape was. (Thanks for that Ched, Barry, Simon et al)

I had to tell our 12 year old what Ched Evans had done and what the atmosphere and attitude of (some) oldham and away fans would likely be at matches. Maybe I'm wrong about the 'Ched Evans, he f***s who he wants' chants, but I doubt it.

Neither of them want to go again. Their mum certainly doesn't want them to go again.

2015 is my 30th anniversary of watching Oldham, I've been all over the country and must have seen somewhere between 500 & 750 matches in that time. Am I going to put my young kids into that? No i'm not.

Who knows what happens next, but there must be a fair old chance that's three supporters of the future lost forever, never mind what happens to me.

Exactly this for me too. I also have been supporting Oldham for over 30 years, was a mascot myself in 1984. I now have 3 children, aged 10, 8 and 5 (inc one daughter). We are all season ticket holders. My 2 boys have both been mascots. There is no way I am going to put my children in a position where the abuse they will see and hear will be frightening. Anybody who thinks otherwise is deluded. Do I really want to explain to my daughter what the angry men are chanting or what a 'rapist' is?

As much as it hurts me to say it (and it really does), we're out.

I have also emailed Simon Corney, and all of the directors, expressing my dissatisfaction and have not had the courtesy of a response, not that I genuinely expect one.

Exactly this for me too. I also have been supporting Oldham for over 30 years, was a mascot myself in 1984. I now have 3 children, aged 10, 8 and 5 (inc one daughter). We are all season ticket holders. My 2 boys have both been mascots. There is no way I am going to put my children in a position where the abuse they will see and hear will be frightening. Anybody who thinks otherwise is deluded. Do I really want to explain to my daughter what the angry men are chanting or what a 'rapist' is?

As much as it hurts me to say it (and it really does), we're out.

I have also emailed Simon Corney, and all of the directors, expressing my dissatisfaction and have not had the courtesy of a response, not that I genuinely expect one.

Send him another one expressing your unwavering support - I'm led to believe you get a response then

Luis,

Can you give me a view of how you explained it to a 7 year old as I have one and at the moment his understanding is that he did something bad to a lady?

I understand your predicament walking in the shoes as a parent, rather than thinking about himself?

Cheers

Rob

Hi Rob

I'd love to say I had a well scripted and thought through explanation for him. Sadly I didn't.

With a twelve year old brother around he's a pretty clued up seven year old. With a very inquisitive mind.

He asked me what all this was about and I probably started in the same place most people would / did.

I started with the least I could say 'he did a bad thing'

but as the questions persisted, I decided rather than claiming parental privilege and ducking a tough conversation, this was the right time to explain what that was. he knows what sex is already. and he's only going to go and google it and read god knows what if I duck it.

i tried to be as matter of fact as possible about what rape was, explaining the serious nature of it, without getting into the full emotional horror of it. it's tough.

Good luck!

Hi Rob

I'd love to say I had a well scripted and thought through explanation for him. Sadly I didn't.

With a twelve year old brother around he's a pretty clued up seven year old. With a very inquisitive mind.

He asked me what all this was about and I probably started in the same place most people would / did.

I started with the least I could say 'he did a bad thing'

but as the questions persisted, I decided rather than claiming parental privilege and ducking a tough conversation, this was the right time to explain what that was. he knows what sex is already. and he's only going to go and google it and read god knows what if I duck it.

i tried to be as matter of fact as possible about what rape was, explaining the serious nature of it, without getting into the full emotional horror of it. it's tough.

Good luck!

Football, of all things, should not be the trigger for you to have had to do that. Edited by slystallone

Football, of all things, should not be the trigger for you to have had to do that.

My feelings exactly. My over riding feeling about the last few days at OAFC is that the club have put so many people in such a difficult position. And it really did not have to be this way.

Given the strength of feeling by many, as a gesture of good will the club should offer a refund to season ticket holders to cover the remaining home matches

Give over. The fans paid their money knowing full well the club could sign whoever they wanted, be it on this high profile or not. That money should not be refunded.

no way I'd explain to to a 7 year old what Evans did. My 7 year old's last Latics game she turned to me and said "Daddy, what's a rent boy". Rather than explain about the physical act of union, about this thing happening between men, about young men being paid in exchange for these services I just said "no, he said Red Boy. And I dont understand because he's not even wearing red is he? I think he's drunk". As for Evans it'd be a simple "what? oh, err, no he said racist".

I certainly wouldn't stop taking my kids just because Evans is playing but I think most whose children arent deaf or away with the fairies would give this Saturday a miss. As for encouraging my children to support someone else because I really really really don't like the man who runs the club and his amazingly bad decision....woah, there - that way lies madness. In 10, 15,20 years time at my kid's football watching peak they wont even know who Ched Evans is and hopefully Simon Corney too. There's probably middle aged men out there who support Yoonited because Ken Bates once was rude to their father in the Main Stand in 1967, don't go down the same road!

Hello all, if you are like me and are pay on the gate, may I suggest you might look at the pinned thread called

Owtb, what's it worth.

The mods are doing a great job but the site needs some funds with the sudden interest and all to keep going

I know once confirmed that "he who should not be named", signs then I will be doing this as I won't be attending BP but I will still be needing my fix of you all

Thanks

Edited by underdog

I will be there, but to support the team (it's a team game after all) and I'll cheer if the Latics score as I have done for thousands of goals I've seen in the past, if it happens to be Evans who nets it won't matter to me, it's still a team effort.

It makes no difference to me if the Latics are in the Premier or North West Counties League, its the football club I will be following not any individual.

Playershare has helped to bring in some players we might not have got, so I don't see why they should suffer.

Yes, I'll still be griping about holding midfielders and praising the good old days (to be honest they weren't really all good) and members of OWTB will have to put up with my sometimes knee jerk after match comments (you'd miss them wouldn't you?)

By the way, I will be sending something to OWTB for maintaining this website, without funding the site where else can we all have a good moan and groan.

Edited by BP1960

How many of the 101 that say that they will be boycotting games, went to the Crewe game, go to most home games or are season ticket holders?.

Same As deyres42; NO (Holiday) YES and NO-same for my mate so the Club are going to be £44 down on Saturday.

We sit with a mate who is a ST Holder with his daugther so YES YES YES by 2. The club will lose nothing this week from them!

By the way there was only me that voted within the 101,

More importantly there are a lot of 'fickle' part time supporters who will not be within the 101 but will not be there on Saturday and probably not again all season!

Good Luck to all who do attend-Give LJ and the lads an extra cheer from us! I have had enough of Corney!

When this first broke, the thought of this didn't really cross my mind at first. My young 'un is one. But I know in all liklehood when he reaches 7 and 8 I'll be taking him with me. And now I've had time to digest all this I'm going to find it incredibly hard to find ways of explaining to him what things like rape is, when he reaches that age. I find conversations like this with young ones (in my experience with my nephew) very difficult. Anyway, it's just further cemented the choice I'm making in my eyes. Time to take a break from it for a time. See how I feel once he's gone.

How many of the 101 that say that they will be boycotting games, went to the Crewe game, go to most home games or are season ticket holders?.

No. Yes. No.

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly