The Boycott of Home Matches

The boycott of home games  

373 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be boycotting home games for the duration of Ched Evans time if he is signed?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends on his perfomance and team efforts/league position

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wish all the people who have an opinion on this subject actually turned up at games, we probably wouldn't even have to contemplate signing him!

You can look at it another way. If people who have been season ticket holders for years, or travelled thousands of miles over the decades are facing the thought of calling it a day over this, how unattractive does it make us to the casual or floating fan?

(Would like to be clear that I'm not considering myself as one of those hardcore fans, more someone who feels for them at the moment)

Just wish all the people who have an opinion on this subject actually turned up at games, we probably wouldn't even have to contemplate signing him!

I have an opinion on it I signed the petition not to sign him I've had a season ticket for 23 years. I would imagine their are many who have attended for longer who are against this too and some who are for it. I don't think the split is between those that do and don't go .

The reality is...

If you are not prepared to walk away then the club can afford to ignore you some more.

Night all

Everyone is entitled to there decision, if you want to 'boycott' then do it, but stop trying to convince others into doing the same.Personally only being 6 feet under would stop me going to Latics, nothing else.

Up to now the poll reveals the club would lose about the same amount of paying customers that knocking down the Lookers did.

there for the gamble to pay off would need a play off final victory to gain that amount of money back. Also going forward an increase of 1000+ to bolster next seasons average attendance to todays levels.

Took a step back today and read some facts on the trial....and the circumstances leading upto the incident!

What happens if he is innocent?

Its not like people haven't been wrongly convicted before.

A lot of people on here would have hung the IRA lads imprisoned and vilified for years in prison only to find out later it was a set up and they were released.

Found guilty. An appeal has failed.

Latics should keep well away from him until this changes.

The girl in question didn't even make a complaint over rape

She didn't even know Evans had been in the hotel with her, let alone given he a good seeing to. So how on earth could she consent to sex?

And before anybody has a pop i have 2 daughters 1 of them 2 years older than the girl in question, she can't walk in shoe's like the girl in question had on walking into that hotel that night when sober never mind pissed.

I am amazed. Really. Wear the wrong shoes and it's okay if somebody rapes you? Is that what you mean? I'd take the time to clarify the wording of that if I were you because on first read it's pretty damned low.

I'm really struggling with this one.

I've got my enthusiasm back the last couple of seasons to the point where I'm a season ticket holder again for the first time since Ronnie Moore was in charge. But I just can't bring myself to support my team with a convicted rapist in it (if the review into the case finds in favour of Evans, then this will change of course). It's a decision I am deliberating hard over, and one I never felt i'd need to make. I am just massively disappointed we are in this situation, I didn't believe we were a club that would put the opportunity to sign a £3M striker on the cheap in front of doing what is morally right.

As has been said, he wouldn't play for a few weeks anyway, so I'm hoping (if he signs) this gives me a few weeks to make a more considered decision rather than taking a knee jerk reaction. I will be there on Saturday, and at Fleetwood the week after, but beyond that my 30+ year support for the club is in very serious doubt.

I won't be boycotting anything. I will gladly take me daughter when she's old enough. She will know that even footballers, so called "role models" are not above the law and will be punished for their wrong doings.

She will most certainly, though, be brought up with more respect for herself than to slag herself around attempting to become a WAG.

Everyone is entitled to there decision, if you want to 'boycott' then do it, but stop trying to convince others into doing the same.Personally only being 6 feet under would stop me going to Latics, nothing else.

I am NOT trying to make others do it. Others can do as they please.

But the reality is... and it can not be disputed... and it needs to be pointed out...

The decision to sign him is down to due diligence which basically translates to "how much money do we stand to lose"... That will decide if he is signed or not. How much sponsorship money they will lose (namely Sports Direct) and how many fans they stand to lose.

So if you are angry, disappointed but still going to come. You can and will be ignored in this decision. That make is plainly clear at this point. The club are looking on here. This thread is good news to them at the moment.

I am NOT trying to make others do it. Others can do as they please.

But the reality is... and it can not be disputed... and it needs to be pointed out...

The decision to sign him is down to due diligence which basically translates to "how much money do we stand to lose"... That will decide if he is signed or not. How much sponsorship money they will lose (namely Sports Direct) and how many fans they stand to lose.

So if you are angry, disappointed but still going to come. You can and will be ignored in this decision. That make is plainly clear at this point. The club are looking on here. This thread is good news to them at the moment.

Surely due diligence means all things considered, not just the money aspect. You are being selective, yet on the point you wish to be selective about, you are correct.

Also on this selective point, plenty who hold the view they will not attend the club whilst a released rapist is signed and remains at the club don't attend now in the first place. Again this will come under due diligence.

Surely due diligence means all things considered, not just the money aspect. You are being selective, yet on the point you wish to be selective about, you are correct.

Also on this selective point, plenty who hold the view they will not attend the club whilst a released rapist is signed and remains at the club don't attend now in the first place. Again this will come under due diligence.

It isn't any secret I haven't been in four years.

I don't believe for a second, at this stage, its anything other than money that is being talked about. That is my opinion though. It could be other factors but I personally doubt it.

Edited by oafc0000

I don't believe for a second, at this stage, its anything other than money that is being talked about. That is my opinion though. It could be other factors but I personally doubt it.

Unfortunately I think you're right about it being only a money focus...David Conn argues very coherently that it should be more

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/jan/05/oldham-athletic-ched-evans-money-morals

I respect you for that, many other's fail to mention it.

I respect you for that, many other's fail to mention it.

I think people should think about why someone who supported a club since being a small child, spending literally thousands following them, spends most of his days talking about the club, posting thousands of posts, getting upset, angry and emotionally involved suddenly stops going. Rather than using it as leverage to dismiss & attack the potentially good and important points they are making. Not saying you do but many do.

The reality is the seeds of today where obvious to me four years ago and I took a stand.

It simply isn't the same club I started watching as a child. Decisions like signing Hughes & Evans are the best example of how our little lovely family club is a shadow of its former self and is now something a little bit disgusting. Very much now in-line with a lot of "Football".

Throw in the mismanagement of the trusts positions, dictator Barry's continuing rise to power, TTAs broken visions, commitments and plans and I grew tired of throwing good money after bad and decide to say enough is enough.

Still after it all though I do love the "club" and hope the cretins leave soon and we can move on... I will be back like a shot if it was something I could get back behind.

Edited by oafc0000

I think people should think about why someone who supported a club since being a small child, spending literally thousands following them, spends most of his days talking about the club, posting thousands of posts, getting upset, angry and emotionally involved suddenly stops going. Rather than using it as leverage to dismiss & attack the potentially good and important points they are making. Not saying you do but many do.

The reality is the seeds of today where obvious to me four years ago and I took a stand.

It simply isn't the same club I started watching as a child. Decisions like signing Hughes & Evans are the best example of how our little lovely family club is a shadow of its former self and is now something a little bit disgusting. Very much now in-line with a lot of "Football".

Throw in the mismanagement of the trusts positions, dictator Barry's continuing rise to power, TTAs broken visions, commitments and plans and I grew tired of throwing good money after bad and decide to say enough is enough.

Still after it all though I do love the "club" and hope the cretins leave soon and we can move on... I will be back like a shot if it was something I could get back behind.

All valid points. Nothing there for leverage to my mind. It's how you feel.

I would hope that wouldn't encourage you to deter other's from attending as it would only serve to damage the club you love. Not saying you do.

I would hope that wouldn't encourage you to deter other's from attending as it would only serve to damage the club you love.

I am not encouraging it... I believe people here are more than capable of making their own minds up. But we should be free to debate and discuss the issue.

I am correctly pointing out the only way you are going to influence the decision the club are about to take is to threaten to walk away and mean it. If you can't bring yourself to that point the people that run this club will continue to ignore you.

It's pretty obvious its all about money.

Its the only power a fan has at this moment in time.

Edited by oafc0000

I think we are in the 'heat of the moment' and much will be said and done that might be regretted.

I am a season ticket holder. I will support my team. I will buy another season ticket. I hope OAFC have the moral courage to give Ched Evans a chance.

Many of you keep going on about his lack of remorse. I'm sure he now regrets every moment of that night. He believes, and he has a lot of people who believe him, that he did not rape the lady because she gave him consent. He, and his many supporters, are still trying to overturn what he regards as a wrongful conviction.

Now I would like to suggest that the easy thing to do would be for him to hold up his hands and say I'm sorry. Boys night out we had all drunk too much and I shouldn't have had sex with her. I'm sorry, I apologise to her and everyone about my bad behaviour. I've learnt my lesson. Simples!!!

Many say if he did this then it would be alright for him to take his life forward and resume his professional career. If this is the case then the courageous thing is for him to continue to profess his innocence.

Iv'e been supporting Latics for 57 years, and for most of that time it has been an ordeal. The Royle years were a long time coming but sensational when they did. I'm sat here tonight sick to the core as to the soap opera that is unfolding. I am angry at the fact that we appear to be rudderless, and haven't got a clue as to what kind of future the club is facing. Falling gates, the never ending story of the new stand, and dozens of other things that irritate over the years, have driven me to doubt my sanity. BUT I support Oldham Athletic and will continue to do so whatever. Boycott games!!!!!!. A true supporter wouldn't even think about it.

He's not the club.

Why would any true supporter want to damage their own club?

Don't agree with the signing. Not for one second. I will make my feelings clear, but i won't damage the club because of a rapist or anyone else.

24% that would boycott is quite a significant amount really.

Whether it would be that high through-out the entire fan base i'm not sure, but can our club afford to alienate any fans? Sure we've got the SportsDirect money, but that's not going to be there as long as fans are.

One way to split your supporters even more anyway, well done to the board. :petesake:

Reading through this thread, you can see the range of views from those who feel strongly enough to boycott, those who feel strongly enough to stop going completely, those who feel strongly that we shouldn't sign him but would keep going, those who feel strongly that those boycotting are not true supporters, those who feel strongly that we should sign him and those who really don't care.

This strength of feeling from opposing sides can only lead to bad feeling amongst fans which cannot be a good thing. This is why we should have never got to this position in the first place. The club is already being damaged by attrocious decisions from the Board Room

I was reading @chiller replies yesterday, and although we've locked horns over foodbanks and other stuff - I was thoroughly disgusted at the level of abuse and dehumanisation from (seemingly) young OAFC fans she received for her comments on the subject - comments she is perfectly entitled to have.

Agree with this, a lot of people dealt with yesterday very very badly.. for me i found it easier to say very little and block those who's posts i didn't want to see. From the posts of that girl @chiller to fellow oldham fans abusing others for disagreeing with them. Awful. Edited by kieranmcandrew