The Boycott of Home Matches

The boycott of home games  

373 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be boycotting home games for the duration of Ched Evans time if he is signed?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends on his perfomance and team efforts/league position

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A question to all you people boycotting, If you love Oldham Athletic that much why dont you go and watch the youth team instead of the first team?

Funnily enough a mate was telling me about Hannover ultras who are now only watching Hannover 2 in protest.

Don't know why, first one was much better.

First off, I profoundly disagree with the decision of Latics to enter into negotiations with Ched Evans. Let alone offer the man a contract.

I do, however, acknowledge the right of criminals to reintegrate into society. The law does not bar Evans from playing football and, to be honest, I don't think it should.

This, I suppose is contradictory. It makes me a NIMBY of sorts, but I don't apologise for this. I just don't think it right to put Latics fans through this scenario again. Beyond that, the other thread provides numerous reasons as to why this week's events are unacceptable to, I think, the majority of supporters.

Like others, the last thing I wanted to do was have my commitment to watching Oldham Athletic play football tested in such a way. My initial instinct was to stop going. I can understand those who won't get past this.

Two things have enabled me to move on a little.

One is my son. He's seventeen. He understands the issues and he objects strongly to what is happening. But going to Latics with his Dad is a central part of his life. He loves the club. He wants to keep going in spite of it all and he wants his Dad to be part of it.

The other is the argument, put forward by many, that the entity that is Oldham Athletic AFC is bigger than any individual. Corney, Owen, Evans, Johnson and others are blots on a 120 year timeline that is more important than any of them ever could be.

So I will be there on Saturday, regardless of how uncomfortable it makes me feel.

A few words about some of the characters enabling this horrible situation to unfold:

Lee Johnson gave a contract to Anton Rodgers. While son of Brendan was not guilty in trial his actions were pretty low. it seems fairly clear to me that our manager is not averse to Evans signing. He's come out of it well in the media. But I don't believe for a second that he didn't want this signing to happen.

Simon Corney, I'd love to believe is doing this because he believes in the rehabilitation of offenders. He may be doing it for football reasons. Most likely he sees a profit further down the line. I fear the cost is already far greater than any future gain.

Barry Owen. I've met Barry a few times. I have no reason to dislike him personally. But he has form and by taking collective responsibility with the rest of the directors has singularly failed to take on board the views of the majority of Oldham Athletic supporters.

I call on the Trust Directors to act immediately to ensure that Barry is removed from his position. In addition they need to ensure that any replacement does not become part and parcel of the fixtures and fittings at the club but, instead, attends board meetings as a representative of the wider supporter base rather than as an unpaid employee of the football club.

I would ask all those thinking of ceasing their match day support to reconsider. The club is bigger than the idiots who have allowed this situation to unfold.

I challenged my friend earlier about how difficult it would be to explain the terms rape or rapist to a young child. He actually found the words quite easy to come by. Sometime communicating uncomfortable things to your kids can be remarkably rewarding. If you want to, you can find the words.

I will be making a small "protest" of my own. I cannot, hand on heart, maintain my donation to PlayerShare. Much as I believe in the concept the feeling that it's going to free funds up to pay Evans is too strong at the moment. I may reconsider this later, but for now that's gone. I will ensure PlayerShare WebShop remains open for those who wish to use it. But for now at least I won't be promoting it.

I will reconsider how I feel when season tickets go on sale. In truth, that could still go either way. For now I'll be there. But I feel wounded by the actions of those who run the club.

Finally, I ask fans to try and be respectful of the views and choices of others. This is a challenge for me too, as I find some of the almost gloating excitement of some around this signing offensive. While I would like those planning to boycott to reconsider, if they choose to maintain their current path this should be accepted.

The same respect should also be afforded to Corney, Owen and others. Challenge their actions if you disagree with them, but do so appropriately.

I feel bruised and I feel conflicted in many ways. I don't deserve to be made to feel this way and I object strongly to those who have made it happen.

But I will still be there on Saturday.

Edited by opinions4u

First off, I profoundly disagree with the decision of Latics to enter into negotiations with Ched Evans. Let alone offer the man a contract.

I do, however, acknowledge the right of criminals to reintegrate into society. The law does not bar Evans from playing football and, to be honest, I don't think it should.

This, I suppose is contradictory. It makes me a NIMBY of sorts, but I don't apologise for this. I just don't think it right to put Latics fans through this scenario again. Beyond that, the other thread provides numerous reasons as to why this week's events are unacceptable to, I think, the majority of supporters.

Like others, the last thing I wanted to do was have my commitment to watching Oldham Athletic play football tested in such a way. My initial instinct was to stop going. I can understand those who won't get past this.

One is my son. He's seventeen. He understands the issues and he objects strongly to what is happening. But going to Latics with his Dad is a central part of his life. He loves the club. He wants to keep going in spite of it all and he wants his Dad to be part of it.

The other is the argument, put forward by many, that the entity that is Oldham Athletic AFC is bigger than any individual. Corney, Owen, Evans, Johnson and others are blots on a 120 year timeline that is more important than any of them ever could be.

So I will be there on Saturday, regardless of how uncomfortable it makes me feel.

A few words about some of the characters enabling this horrible situation to unfold:

Lee Johnson gave a contract to Anton Rodgers. While son of Brendan was not guilty in trial his actions were pretty low. it seems fairly clear to me that our manager is not averse to Evans signing. He's come out of it well in the media. But I don't believe for a second that he didn't want this signing to happen.

Simon Corney, I'd love to believe is doing this because he believes in the rehabilitation of offenders. He may be doing it for football reasons. Most likely he sees a profit further down the line. I fear the cost is already far greater than any future gain.

Barry Owen. I've met Barry a few times. I have no reason to dislike him personally. But he has form and by taking collective responsibility with the rest of the directors has singularly failed to take on board the views of the majority of Oldham Athletic supporters.

I call on the Trust Directors to act immediately to ensure that Barry is removed from his position. In addition they need to ensure that any replacement does not become part and parcel of the fixtures and fittings at the club but, instead, attends board meetings as a representative of the wider supporter base rather than as an unpaid employee of the football club.

I would ask all those thinking of ceasing their match day support to reconsider. The club is bigger than the idiots who have allowed this situation to unfold.

I challenged my friend earlier about how difficult it would be to explain the terms rape or rapist to a young child. He actually found the words quite easy to come by. Sometime communicating uncomfortable things to your kids can be remarkably rewarding. If you want to, you can find the words.

I will be making a small "protest" of my own. I cannot, hand on heart, maintain my donation to PlayerShare. Much as I believe in the concept the feeling that it's going to free funds up to pay Evans is too strong at the moment. I may reconsider this later, but for now that's gone. I will ensure PlayerShare WebShop remains open for those who wish to use it. But for now at least I won't be promoting it.

I will reconsider how I feel when season tickets go on sale. In truth, that could still go either way. For now I'll be there. But I feel wounded by the actions of those who run the club.

Finally, I ask fans to try and be respectful of the views and choices of others. This is a challenge for me too, as I find some of the almost gloating excitement of some around this signing offensive. While I would like those planning to boycott to reconsider, if they choose to maintain their current path this should be accepted.

The same respect should also be afforded to Corney, Owen and others. Challenge their actions if you disagree with them, but do so appropriately.

I feel bruised and I feel conflicted in many ways. I don't deserve to be made to feel this way and I object strongly to those who have made it happen.

Best constructed post I've ever read on here it captures the thoughts and feelings of most of our fans and for me puts many things into context, well done.

I will not be using my season ticket again whilst that man is part of the club. I love my club but the board's decision has sickened me, to put finance above morals. How can I take my 12 year old son to watch a convicted rapist, what message would I be giving him? I have supported Oldham home and away for 37 years I love my club and my dream is for them to do well and all the players to play with pride and commitment, do you really think his dream is to play for Oldham? This decision has turned us into a contemptuous club who deserve the inevitable abuse we will receive from away fans, I don't want to hear that nor do I want my son to hear it. I will continue to love and support my club, but I cannot go to a match and cheer on a man like that. I feel for the rest of the team who so far this season have shown such spirit and great promise.

Hello O4U, your tremendous support in not only starting, promoting and kick us all to use the easyfundraising scheme, to give a kick back to playershare has been wonderful and most instrumental in players like kuqi, evina, croft, weso and of course Big G. I am saddened to here of your hard choices, but I can fully appreciate them too.

Thanks on behalf of the playershare commitee and thanks from me too.

Hello O4U, your tremendous support in not only starting, promoting and kick us all to use the easyfundraising scheme, to give a kick back to playershare has been wonderful and most instrumental in players like kuqi, evina, croft, weso and of course Big G. I am saddened to here of your hard choices, but I can fully appreciate them too.

Thanks on behalf of the playershare commitee and thanks from me too.

The site continues to function. Income will continue to be paid directly to the PlayerShare bank account. The world will carry on.

And hopefully I will feel more positive further down the line. I hope you do too.

Great Post O4U, come to expect that though so I shouldn't be surprised.

I've already stated my views on this whole sorry debarcle already.

I have outright anger towards the senior people pertaining to run the club, the owner, the board of directors, the chief ex and, importantly also, the manager; as - similar to you O4U, I too have very real reservations that Lee Johnson is not fully part of this decision making process and is behind this move also. I have outright anger towards these people.

They've dragged our club through the mire, and shown themselves to be idiotic, amateurish, out of touch morons in my opinon. This was a situation that did not need bringing to our door, but they have brought it; with scant regard for the fans of the club. I have anger towards them because through their idiotic decision; they have made me have to make a choice I didn't think i'd have to make: namely to continue to watch my club as a supporter or to withdraw my support.

I cannot, nor will not, continue to offer my support when we have a convicted rapist attached and associated with the club. Nor will I continue to offer my support when the people in charge show such contempt for their fans, in outright lying to them; and then in failing to undertake any form of consultation in an overall decison making process. Once CE is no longer at the club, and once we have a new owner and thus with it a new look board, I will be able to then attempt to rekindle the passion and love for the club I used to have; and see about returning to games.

I'm a season ticket holder. I attended my first game in 1986. I've followed the team up and down the country across countless away trips, as well as obviously all home games for years & years. My decision has not been taken lightly, far from it in fact. I've agonised over the various options as I see them, but I simply cannot nor will not continue to support in light of what has come about since Sunday.

On another interlinked point to my stance on this; I have also been appalled in discovering a certain section of OAFC fans; who have come to light or been 'outed' if you will, a group that condone CE's actions, seek to trivialise rape, offer up abuse to anyone who does not share their abhorrent views and are actually; as we speak, coming up with pro-CE chants and songs to start to sign at game on Saturday, all in a 'ladz bantz' style.

I would find it difficult to now actively associate myself with them by standing on an away terrace near them, or be having a pre-match drink in the same pub as them. At home games, I cannot be sat in & around fellow fans who will be actively supporting and cheering CE.

Someone posted on one of the many threads that they are proud of the club in the way they're going about this; and It wasn't from what I could tell, a post that was a fish / troll / whatever you want to call it.

Proud is about the last thing I am. I'm ashamed and disgusted at the club, the people who run it and towards a certain section of fellow fans.

I'm angry at Simon Corney, his yes men Board of Directors, Neil Joy, Lee Johnson and his backroom team for creating this situation, and I'm gutted - genuninely gutted that I will not be attending games for the forseeable future.

No grand gesture from me on Saturday; no throwing my ticket onto the pitch, no protest before the game on a picket-style gathering. I will just not be attending anymore. And I hate that I feel my hand has been forced into that decision.

Old habits die hard, and you can't cut feelings off overnight, so I would imagine I will possibly be still checking in on here from time to time, but my posting will be drastically down on current levels (i can imagine small cheers starting in certain living rooms as i type that!). 29 years is a bloody long time, and Its going to be really hard to just 'flip a switch' so to speak and go Oldham Athletic cold-turkey I think.

I was proud to call myself an Oldham Athletic fan. I was proud of my club. After this sorry debarcle, I no longer am.

Each & everyone of us has their own individual decision to make in regards to this development at our club. We shouldn't have to, but we do. I don't agree with the views that are the exact opposite to mine, but - you have to respect the fact that everyone has their own views and thus makes their own individual decisons from that. Good luck to those who can compartmentalise their feelings and still continue to go, I wish you luck for the :censored: storm that is to come.

I'm going to miss my pre game & post game beers in the Rifle Range, meeting up with football mates and following a club I was proud to support.

So, :censored: you Simon Corney. :censored: you Barry Owen. :censored: you Neil Joy. :censored: you Ian Hill. :censored: you Lee Johnson. :censored: all of those others involved in making this decision. You've made me come to this, and I hate for you for it.

But most of all? :censored: You Ched Evans; you absolute and utter scum bag.

A very eloquent post O4U. I have found my views often chime with yours. I don't have the decision to attend matches, though I know I would not on Saturday in immediate protest. In fact, not attending for the game on sAturday would be much easier than cancelling my LaticsWorld subscription.

Everything else I 100% agree with.

Great Post O4U, come to expect that though so I shouldn't be surprised.

I've already stated my views on this whole sorry debarcle already.

I have outright anger towards the senior people pertaining to run the club, the owner, the board of directors, the chief ex and, importantly also, the manager; as - similar to you O4U, I too have very real reservations that Lee Johnson is not fully part of this decision making process and is behind this move also. I have outright anger towards these people.

They've dragged our club through the mire, and shown themselves to be idiotic, amateurish, out of touch morons in my opinon. This was a situation that did not need bringing to our door, but they have brought it; with scant regard for the fans of the club. I have anger towards them because through their idiotic decision; they have made me have to make a choice I didn't think i'd have to make: namely to continue to watch my club as a supporter or to withdraw my support.

I cannot, nor will not, continue to offer my support when we have a convicted rapist attached and associated with the club. Nor will I continue to offer my support when the people in charge show such contempt for their fans, in outright lying to them; and then in failing to undertake any form of consultation in an overall decison making process. Once CE is no longer at the club, and once we have a new owner and thus with it a new look board, I will be able to then attempt to rekindle the passion and love for the club I used to have; and see about returning to games.

I'm a season ticket holder. I attended my first game in 1986. I've followed the team up and down the country across countless away trips, as well as obviously all home games for years & years. My decision has not been taken lightly, far from it in fact. I've agonised over the various options as I see them, but I simply cannot nor will not continue to support in light of what has come about since Sunday.

On another interlinked point to my stance on this; I have also been appalled in discovering a certain section of OAFC fans; who have come to light or been 'outed' if you will, a group that condone CE's actions, seek to trivialise rape, offer up abuse to anyone who does not share their abhorrent views and are actually; as we speak, coming up with pro-CE chants and songs to start to sign at game on Saturday, all in a 'ladz bantz' style.

I would find it difficult to now actively associate myself with them by standing on an away terrace near them, or be having a pre-match drink in the same pub as them. At home games, I cannot be sat in & around fellow fans who will be actively supporting and cheering CE.

Someone posted on one of the many threads that they are proud of the club in the way they're going about this; and It wasn't from what I could tell, a post that was a fish / troll / whatever you want to call it.

Proud is about the last thing I am. I'm ashamed and disgusted at the club, the people who run it and towards a certain section of fellow fans.

I'm angry at Simon Corney, his yes men Board of Directors, Neil Joy, Lee Johnson and his backroom team for creating this situation, and I'm gutted - genuninely gutted that I will not be attending games for the forseeable future.

No grand gesture from me on Saturday; no throwing my ticket onto the pitch, no protest before the game on a picket-style gathering. I will just not be attending anymore. And I hate that I feel my hand has been forced into that decision.

Old habits die hard, and you can't cut feelings off overnight, so I would imagine I will possibly be still checking in on here from time to time, but my posting will be drastically down on current levels (i can imagine small cheers starting in certain living rooms as i type that!). 29 years is a bloody long time, and Its going to be really hard to just 'flip a switch' so to speak and go Oldham Athletic cold-turkey I think.

I was proud to call myself an Oldham Athletic fan. I was proud of my club. After this sorry debarcle, I no longer am.

Each & everyone of us has their own individual decision to make in regards to this development at our club. We shouldn't have to, but we do. I don't agree with the views that are the exact opposite to mine, but - you have to respect the fact that everyone has their own views and thus makes their own individual decisons from that. Good luck to those who can compartmentalise their feelings and still continue to go, I wish you luck for the :censored: storm that is to come.

I'm going to miss my pre game & post game beers in the Rifle Range, meeting up with football mates and following a club I was proud to support.

So, :censored: you Simon Corney. :censored: you Barry Owen. :censored: you Neil Joy. :censored: you Ian Hill. :censored: you Lee Johnson. :censored: all of those others involved in making this decision. You've made me come to this, and I hate for you for it.

But most of all? :censored: You Ched Evans; you absolute and utter scum bag.

Perfectly well put sly! This is exactly where I'm at now. I have started to put away all my memorabilia of Latics, I hate those associated with this signing! Because one of the first things I put away was my Granddad's Latics scarf and it's one of the few memories I have of him! I got quite angry and upset at this!

Edited by Canada_latic

Good posts from O4u and sly - I am somewhere between the two in that I won't be back whilst Evans is here but I'll be back once he's gone (or in the unlikely event his conviction is quashed).

The only exception I take is to the end of it. As much as Evans is a prick, he has no responsibility to us. He's looking to return to what he does best. I feel badly let down by the powers that be at the club and that is where my anger lies. We should never have been put in this position.

Good posts from O4u and sly - I am somewhere between the two in that I won't be back whilst Evans is here but I'll be back once he's gone (or in the unlikely event his conviction is quashed).

The only exception I take is to the end of it. As much as Evans is a prick, he has no responsibility to us. He's looking to return to what he does best. I feel badly let down by the powers that be at the club and that is where my anger lies. We should never have been put in this position.

That is an interesting one JSS, if his conviction is quashed. My view is that it is almost irrelevant, because we should not be put in the position now. How I feel about now, would not change if his conviction is quashed. By the time that happens, he will almost have finished his contract.

Another good post sly I've always enjoyed reading your posts and it's such a shame you and many others and many other reasonable people and in some cases family people have been made to feel this way.

I will be going on Saturday the club have already had my money from my season ticket they won't be getting anything else from me this season though. I will decide in the summer if I want to continue going I'm testing it out between now and the end of the season to see how I feel. I can fill my Saturday with other thing if required. But I feel as though I'm going to Boundary Park on saturday almost as a neutral.