New Manager thread.

Great shout Mark Warburton with Frankie Bunn as his assistant, think we would need more than a slice of luck to get them both.

Wage demands could be stumbling block, i can envisage they would be on plenty of dough,

I admit I did not use my loaf when I first saw your post.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yates surely wouldn't be near the top of our list.

Davies would annoy the hell out of people but would do a great job. Doubt we could afford him though.

As for Warburton? I know we've risen recently but we aren't really on a roll and he will see any rumour of him come here as being half-baked.

:laught16:

Rick Holden has said on facebook he would come back as assistant coach or head physio. He says he would play old school with 2 wingers.

He also said the board are morons.....

Get your application In stitch. Now that would made an interesting last 16 games

2 wingers..that's it Rick's the manager for me.

Rick Holden has said on facebook he would come back as assistant coach or head physio. He says he would play old school with 2 wingers.

He also said the board are morons.....

Get your application In stitch. Now that would made an interesting last 16 games

Imagine Holden running on to treat injured players to be met with all-out hero worship from the fans.

Can't wait to see this thread after the fans have spotted potential managers in the crowd at the Preston game.

I expect it will take me all day to read it.

SC has had plenty of experience interviewing managers, and I hope he does the interviewing face to face rather than leave it to someone else.

He does go the cheaper route. However, in my opinion LJ was an improvement over Dickov, so maybe he can select a manager that is an improvement over the last one.

Good Luck Simon.

We barely have any wingers....?

And two wingers stuff just doesn't work in this league - the pitches turf up and we get spanked in the middle of the park if we play an orthodox 4-4-2 which is predictable and easy to man-mark against, no flexibility; out and out wingers just get bullied and kicked into touch in this league (Dayton), and any L1 wingers are L1 for a reason: they'll either struggle with the final ball, or be a young kid that is inconsistent, especially after getting kicked.

Telling the players just to have passion won't work when they start being bullied on a cold Tursday night. Footballers aren't mentally strong enough, or often care enough particularly if we sign lots of young technical kids on loan.

A lot of generalising, but that's how it's panned out in recen my years. And it's old school tactics for a reason...because it doesn't work, and we couldn't afford the players good enough to make it work. Even LJ tried it at first, like Dickov did, but quickly gave up. And for all the diamond critics, look where we are in the table - and where we could be if the team/players had had the mental strength to grab some of these games against the Bolton teams by the balls.

If he wants to play wingers, it has to be in a 3-5-2 or 4-5-1. Whoever we play 4-4-2, the other team just play 4-5-1. They have three on two in the middle, sometimes four on two if their striker drops deep. They get tight on our service-starved wingers and push up so no chance (or time) for over-laps. And the end result is just our centre-backs hoofing it to same old striker peel and run between centre-back and full-back.

Just my opinion though like.

And two wingers stuff just doesn't work in this league - the pitches turf up and we get spanked in the middle of the park if we play an orthodox 4-4-2 which is predictable and easy to man-mark against, no flexibility; out and out wingers just get bullied and kicked into touch in this league (Dayton), and any L1 wingers are L1 for a reason: they'll either struggle with the final ball, or be a young kid that is inconsistent, especially after getting kicked.

Telling the players just to have passion won't work when they start being bullied on a cold Tursday night. Footballers aren't mentally strong enough, or often care enough particularly if we sign lots of young technical kids on loan.

A lot of generalising, but that's how it's panned out in recen my years. And it's old school tactics for a reason...because it doesn't work, and we couldn't afford the players good enough to make it work. Even LJ tried it at first, like Dickov did, but quickly gave up. And for all the diamond critics, look where we are in the table - and where we could be if the team/players had had the mental strength to grab some of these games against the Bolton teams by the balls.

If he wants to play wingers, it has to be in a 3-5-2 or 4-5-1. Whoever we play 4-4-2, the other team just play 4-5-1. They have three on two in the middle, sometimes four on two if their striker drops deep. They get tight on our service-starved wingers and push up so no chance (or time) for over-laps. And the end result is just our centre-backs hoofing it to same old striker peel and run between centre-back and full-back.

I depends on the wingers, a good strong winger would do well in this league, Rick himself was no pushover nor was Alan Groves, I agree lightweights can find it difficult at this level and we have had plenty of them in recent years.

Why are people talking about Beattie? His record at Accrington was :censored:.

All the more reason why he's a prime candidate to accept Corney's unconventional terms and conditions. In that context, "The candidate impressed at interview," means, "The candidate will put skin in the game, such is his self-confidence." It's all about incentivisation.

You've got the job.

My fondest memories of Oldham over the years is when we had wingers or wide men in the team supplying crosses and hugging the touchline

Eyres, Holden, Adams, Low, Taylor etc etc

I'd love Ricky as a manager purely for the entertainment value!

My fondest memories of Oldham over the years is when we had wingers or wide men in the team supplying crosses and hugging the touchline

Eyres, Holden, Adams, Low, Taylor etc etc

I'd love Ricky as a manager purely for the entertainment value!

Holden was one of the few wingers at the time who realised that you didn't have to get past the fullback to cross the ball - a joy to watch and I would imagine his goals and assists were fundamental to our success.

Dowie and Shez got yo the play offs playing wingers/wing backs & the donkey lashers success was built on fast wingers And all out out attack

But there's tough wingers like Eyres, Low, Liddell who can look after themselves then there's mard arse wingers like Dayton and Morais who hide....

Edited by SCOUSELATIC

No rush says Joy;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31640722

Dean Holden quote;

"Every experience in life we go through is an opportunity to put your own spin on something. I'll attack it like I've done with every experience I've had which is with honesty, hard work and passion, I've a sickening work ethic which I have always prided myself on."

I'm getting quite optimistic now - which is unusual for me.

Edited by BP1960

Dowie and Shez got yo the play offs playing wingers/wing backs & the donkey lashers success was built on fast wingers And all out out attack

But there's tough wingers like Eyres, Low, Liddell who can look after themselves then there's mard arse wingers like Dayton and Morais who hide....

Agree about Dayton but i'd have Morais back at BP no problem.