Was there something else behind Lee Johnson leaving?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He has dossiers on all teams. Wouldnt have taken much to turn his scouting reports on an opponent into 'a 100 page document' :censored:s sake

"He has dossiers on all teams" how do you know what he has? Did you write it with him?

What goes around, comes around and will all come out in the wash

He dare us to believe, got us in the playoffs and then decided he couldn't finish the job and touted himself elsewhere.

I suppose in the normal world moving onto a better job, better pay, better conditions is acceptable. But to me footy is outside that world, it's a fans/individuals hopes, dreams etc and he left us. Half a job done.

It's a shame we didn't have a fully fit squad as they were nothing special yesterday. I also think that the way the top of the division is shaping up that they will still be in our division next season too.

It's time we put him in the failed to deliver box and put a lid on it. Time for us to concentrate on what we have got on the pitch and the the managerial team. Time to concentrate on us and not to get into a relegation fight. i don't think we deserve a relegation fight I think we should be safe.

Wow did you not pay any attention atall whilst he was here?

To him, not really. I stopped listening to his interviews from very early on. From minute 1 I thought he was full of :censored:, but I'm interested in results not what our manager (as was) says. Someone can lie all they like, if they are winning, I don't care.

We don't know the truth behind Johnson's departure. Certainly he played the media very well during the Ched Evans circus and so he may be doing the same here. But it isn't beyond the realms of possibility that Corney approached him and saying he'd had an offer from Barnsley and wanted to take the money. In which case, Johnson would be stupid not to consider the Barnsley job on its merits.

I don't rate him half as much as most. I think he's been lucky that this division, a few sides apart, is crap this year - shown by the fact that Barnsley, a few weeks after teetering above the relegation zone, are now top six. But there's no question that the timing of his leaving was dreadful for Latics and completely derailed any hopes of making the playoffs - not helped by Corney's 'let's see how the cheapest available option plays out' approach to replacing him.

I'm glad he was given :censored:. Really glad. His timing was truly dreadful. Absolute betrayal. Felt like a kick in the bollocks. I'd understand if it was step-up, but Barnsley??? Giving him :censored: was a small pay-back. At least it showed people care. Showed some passion, some honesty.

As for him being 'sold.' He's not a slave. Not a piece of meat to be traded. He was, by all accounts, actively seeking employment elsewhere.

Still, he's left a great legacy...oh, no, that's right, we're as :censored: as when he took over. Still, getting rid of Croft and Baxter was a stroke of genius.

The Corney pushing him out to take the money theory doesn't stack up for me. If he wanted/needed money why did we reject offers for players a couple of weeks before? Not only that, why did we spend money on players too?

I happened to be driving through the area when Johnson and the Barnsley CEO (Mansford) were doing a phone in on Radio Sheffield one night last week.

When asked why he chose to leave Oldham to come to Barnsley his initial anwser was quite surprising. Before going on to the usual bigger club, bigger budget stuff, he said something along the lines of 'you have to remember that Oldham accepted a financial offer for me and without that it wouldn't have been possible for me to be here'.

May be it was a case of him thinking that if we weren't going to put up a fight to keep him and reject their approach out of hand, like Swindon did, he may as well go.

There were faew other intersting things on that show. When a caller askted Mansford if Johnson was the first choice for the job, he side stepped the question in a way that made it very cear that he wasn't. He was also pretty frank about saying that if they don't go up this year, Johnson will be expected to deliver promotion next year.

In general, Johnson didn't come across as particularly confident or upbeat in comparison to the interviews he did when he was with us. I think he realises that, if they don't go up this year and he has a bad start to next season he'll be under serious pressure. Consecutive 4-0 and 7-0 defeats won't be met with the kind of tolerance and patience he enjoyed here.

When asked why he chose to leave Oldham to come to Barnsley his initial anwser was quite surprising. Before going on to the usual bigger club, bigger budget stuff, he said something along the lines of 'you have to remember that Oldham accepted a financial offer for me and without that it wouldn't have been possible for me to be here'.

Johnson rings Barnsley. "The buy out clause is £xx,000".

Barnsley chairman rings Corney. "We're interested in your gaffer. We'll meet any buy out clause".

Corney tells Johnson "They've triggered the buy out clause, so I have to tell you. We want you to stay".

Johnson :censored:s off.

I happened to be driving through the area when Johnson and the Barnsley CEO (Mansford) were doing a phone in on Radio Sheffield one night last week.

May be it was a case of him thinking that if we weren't going to put up a fight to keep him and reject their approach out of hand, like Swindon did, he may as well go.

There were faew other intersting things on that show. When a caller askted Mansford if Johnson was the first choice for the job, he side stepped the question in a way that made it very cear that he wasn't. He was also pretty frank about saying that if they don't go up this year, Johnson will be expected to deliver promotion next year.

In general, Johnson didn't come across as particularly confident or upbeat in comparison to the interviews he did when he was with us. I think he realises that, if they don't go up this year and he has a bad start to next season he'll be under serious pressure. Consecutive 4-0 and 7-0 defeats won't be met with the kind of tolerance and patience he enjoyed here.

Off what I saw of them yesterday,that wont be long,very few players looked comfortable on the ball

If LJ was the innocent party in all this, and there is some terrible, awful truth that most people don't know about, why not say? Why not put everyone in the picture and remove the vacuum into which everyone is pouring their theories?

Or is it that if he did say, it wouldn't be good PR?

I don't trust a word he says. He spins :censored: like a politician...

Nowt surprising for me there and everyone else will just ignore it. Wasting your time with the truth on here.

The idea that corney has sold him doesn't quite wash. Johnson was tied down to a long term contract so he didn't have to renegotiate. Johnsons transfer activities were actually bringing in a financial benefit to the club. If we were that desperate for the cash he certainly wouldn't have sanctioned a permanent signing on deadline day.

Unless a figure far bigger fee than the £75k is being mentioned was offered only then will I believe he was told he had to go for financial reasons. I'm indifferent to him personally but it's his decision he will live and die by it.

Its very simple and I'm sure its already been mentioned.....

When SC offered LJ a new longer term contract LJ made sure there was an automatic release clause in it. LJ and his agent tout it about and when that offer was met by Barnsley SC could no nothing but allow LJ to talk to them in the hope that he stayed.

He didn't.....:censored: him! Good riddance!

The whole idea of LJ being upset of Corney accepting an offer or buy out clause of bollox...

LJ applied for the job and submitted a dossier for the job before a financial offer will have been made by Barnsley...

IT WAS INSTIGATED BY LJ

Some bloody good posts on here. Those still thinking Leaping Lee is an honourable chap.... nah he likes smelling of perfume not :censored:. He had a clause as a buyout and Corney knew he was prostituting himself round other clubs. Mr Gob:censored:e would know the compo figure and once offered job in his hands and Simon certain to accept the comp unless a pure ploy to get a better contract offer. He might say couldnt be here without permission but he wouldnt be there if not applied.

Its not the fact a manager leaves, they all do, usually pushed but in this case the timing was disgraceful and disrespectful to all at OAFC including players. He repeated on many occasions about buying into what we are doing.... whilst trying to sell himself to any club that was a minor step up. Dont agree with the well we all would move for more sometimes we have a job to finish and football not a normal career or job. Sometimes you can see that staying and completing the project you started is both the correct and respectful thing to do if any true ability and knowing another opportunity will come. Perhaps he's finding it harder than he expected and his dossier full of pure bull:censored:.

Tommy Wright always been one of my fav players and yet yesterday he and LJ deserved the abuse although ignoring him my own preference as in insignificant ex manager. The fact Wright reacted to crowd bloody funny really.

Sums it up perfectly for me and is exactly how I feel about it. I just wish SC would hang Johnson out to dry and tell people some of the things I have heard privately.......whilst I don't know I get the Imores soon that he may wish to stay on good terms as he knows what it would take to pillage the club for the players he wants.

As for touting his name around I know, having heard from people at both clubs that he applied for the Brighton job and was shortlisted. Im up for being challenged on this by anyone including Johnson.