League 1 Activity

Like Tom Eaves going for 1/2M?

I meant in more of a general way. Look at how many quality strikers Carlisle have had on their books without getting the best from them. Look at the career paths of the top scorers in our division: Billy Sharp, Josh Morris, Matty Taylor, Lee Gregory, Steve Morison. All released by their first club without getting much of a chance. The more I look, the more solid the theory appears.

To me, it suggests you have to use the loan market wisely and persevere longer than you perhaps would with other positions.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I meant in more of a general way. Look at how many quality strikers Carlisle have had on their books without getting the best from them. Look at the career paths of the top scorers in our division: Billy Sharp, Josh Morris, Matty Taylor, Lee Gregory, Steve Morison. All released by their first club without getting much of a chance. The more I look, the more solid the theory appears.

To me, it suggests you have to use the loan market wisely and persevere longer than you perhaps would with other positions.

Totally agree with you the loan market should be used more effectively

Why the loan market? The money is made by running a proper youth integration system and buying/acquiring players on 2 year deals/options.

If there's a pattern of players with lots of potential being turfed out at a young age, getting games in lower divisions and coming back up through the ranks, that sounds like something you could replicate through the use of a loan market, while importantly keeping the player on your books.

There is a difference between strikers and other positions, in my opinion. They need more time to develop than other positions.

Another one for you. Scott Kashket. Scoring for fun at the moment for Wycombe, after being released by Orient earlier this year

Why the loan market? The money is made by running a proper youth integration system and buying/acquiring players on 2 year deals/options.

Using our youths to gain experience and learning from their mistakes which will happen rather there than in the first team.

Unless they are ready to drop into the first team of course Glackin a prime example i think scoring goals but not ready for first team football he will learn more playing against better and more physical players than the players he is playing against now but only if that system is properly managed

Isn't the big problem regarding our youth team compared to Rochdale's that they have a manager who has been their for a number of years now whereas we are chopping and changing all the time so our managers never get the time to look at the youth team properly?

Using our youths to gain experience and learning from their mistakes which will happen rather there than in the first team.

Unless they are ready to drop into the first team of course Glackin a prime example i think scoring goals but not ready for first team football he will learn more playing against better and more physical players than the players he is playing against now but only if that system is properly managed

Sorry, you obviously meant loaning out, not loaning in. Apologies

It does but only in respect of sales of U18s so I believe.

I suppose it comes down to that dreaded word - identity.

You could argue that it would be better to pick up the 17-18yos dropping out of the bigger academies and try to develop them to sell later on.

Or you go down the community club route, trying to have a team of mainly local lads.

I suppose it comes down to that dreaded word - identity.

You could argue that it would be better to pick up the 17-18yos dropping out of the bigger academies and try to develop them to sell later on.

Or you go down the community club route, trying to have a team of mainly local lads.

Most of the players who win scholarships with us seem to players who have been recently released by other 'bigger' clubs with one or two moving through our own system. This may be due to the likes of United, City & Blackburn recruiting from overseas in the older age groups & so pushing the local lads out.

Didn't we knock back Craig Dawson when he was a young 'un too?

Yes and No, he broke his leg in a trial game and we opted not to sign him as a result. Dale decided to sign him with the broken leg.

Could have worked out badly for them, it didn't.

Yes and No, he broke his leg in a trial game and we opted not to sign him as a result. Dale decided to sign him with the broken leg.

Could have worked out badly for them, it didn't.

He wasn't one of our youth though as I remember, he came from non league Radcliffe Borough.

Archived