Just listened to Darren Kelly's post match interview. I find myself more impressed by what Johnson was saying (not that I'm unimpressed by Kelly, just that he says more generic things) but my word Kelly unquestionably has a better voice!

While I don't think he's made a "wow" signing yet, I'm a fan of the amount of competition for places that we are likely to have in the squad. Also I didn't honestly believe that he would be able to have kept Liam Kelly (or all of the other top contracted players) at the club for the start of pre season, so kudos to him for that so far.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just listened to Darren Kelly's post match interview. I find myself more impressed by what Johnson was saying (not that I'm unimpressed by Kelly, just that he says more generic things) but my word Kelly unquestionably has a better voice!

While I don't think he's made a "wow" signing yet, I'm a fan of the amount of competition for places that we are likely to have in the squad. Also I didn't honestly believe that he would be able to have kept Liam Kelly (or all of the other top contracted players) at the club for the start of pre season, so kudos to him for that so far.

I worry that he answers yes to pretty much every question...one thing with LJ was he had his opinion and was strong minded. Hopefully DK isn't a push over and commands respect without being the little Hitler LJ was

Me and my Dad said the same. Looked a quality little player. Would have another look at the young centre back in the 2nd half didn't put a foot wrong. Gunning very vocal and I think he'll sign, looks like he needs games. Turner is quality...The amount of headers he wins for a lad his size is bonkers, excellent timing. Croft looked good first half, everything came down his side. Lot of crosses into the boxing with only Cassidy in there though which needs to be addressed.

Was 19 Edmundson? The tall blonde lad? He was absolutely terrible...

EDIT: Just read the lad at the back was edmundson in second half? He looked decent. Very well timed tackle when I think it was dieng ballsed up and his lofted through ball to turner was excellent.

19 is Murphy.

17 for us was dreadful. He's the young lad from sunderland

Thought so. He went out of his way to stand off his man when he started tight to him.

No 11 I'm not sure about. He looked tidy. Didn't set the world on fire but looked OK when he can't have had a clue what his role was

One thing about the manager is that all his answers and comments are very generalised, he is never very specific about anything.

But weird to be criticising what he says but try listening to a few interviews to see what I mean

it was a typical pre season friendly, i only went because its a new ground to tick off.

The following we took was good we must have had half of the attendance, one thing i did notice today was that if we dont start the season particularly well we could be in trouble, i think latics fans will turn pretty quickly, noticed quite a few groans in the 2nd half at 0-0, i hope this doesnt happen because on the whole latics fans are superb especially away but its just something i noticed yesterday.

Is there a link to the remaining pre-season friendlies? Someone posted me a link to official site but it only shows the season fixtures from Walsall onwards.

Just trying to work my diary around a few before the season kicks off

Cheers MB

Is there a link to the remaining pre-season friendlies? Someone posted me a link to official site but it only shows the season fixtures from Walsall onwards.

Cheers MB

It is on the Fishal but...

Fri 17 July Stirling Albion Away

Tue 21 July Bolton Home

Sat 25 July Blackburn Home

Tue 28 July Halifax Away

Sat 1 Aug Carlisle Away

There is a game away at Trafford FC on Wed 23 July but not sure if that is the first team.

Edited by TheBigDog

it was a typical pre season friendly, i only went because its a new ground to tick off.

The following we took was good we must have had half of the attendance, one thing i did notice today was that if we dont start the season particularly well we could be in trouble, i think latics fans will turn pretty quickly, noticed quite a few groans in the 2nd half at 0-0, i hope this doesnt happen because on the whole latics fans are superb especially away but its just something i noticed yesterday.

Turned quicker than that behind me, after 25 minutes Cassidy was"dogsh1t" and Truelove a "coward".Insane to bother to go toChester for the first of the season's friendliest and dish out that offensive bile.

Cheers MB

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/fixtures-results/fixtures-list/index.aspx

Hope that link helps Midsblue.

Far be it from me to be a fan of people moaning and groaning at matches, but if we have a bad start/1st half the season then I think fans have every right to voice their concerns. If we are in the bottom 6 by the January window there will be a strong case for Kelly to be sacked. The squad of players will be more settled than most in this division so we should be able to hit the ground running.

That being said, I can't understand how anyone cares enough about a pre season game enough to moan.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

Wasn't particularly slow but just looked uneasy, even when jogging.

Although, this might have always been case and not in any way related to his injury.

Yaya Toure walks like he's stolen someone else's hips, so if he plays like him I'll be happy.

Just make sure we get him a birthday cake......

Turned quicker than that behind me, after 25 minutes Cassidy was"dogsh1t" and Truelove a "coward".Insane to bother to go toChester for the first of the season's friendliest and dish out that offensive bile.

When Darren Kelly applauded the fans at full time a bloke near me shouted ":censored: off ya IRA bastard!"

Gonna be a fun season.

A useful run out. Gunning, the only trialist that might be worth keeping on this outing, looked good but if we sign him we will be taking a gamble on his fitness.

Of our players; Coleman looked sharp and confident, Croft looked fitter and is a great signing, Liam was as Liam does - if he stays, remains fit and leads us like he did last year someone will pay a seven figure sum for him next summer, there is a tale of two Rhyses - Turner looked sharp agile and on his game - Murphy, playing wide left, fitter but still the Murphy we saw last year although it was his pass that made the goal, George is every inch a premiership player and could be the signing of the decade, Philly stuttered and wasn't up to some of the passes Croft made, Dieng ought to have a future with us but where? Winchester continues to divide opinion, the rest needed the run out.

I'm not sure what formation we were supposed to be playing. Could have been anything. Best thing to say is that it was fluid although there were elements of kick and rush!