New Manager Thread [Mergomatic Active]

Steve Evans is a dickhead - he never won't be one - but his appointment feels very dispassionate to me. He is simply here to do a job and leave (I'm sure he will quickly enough).

Sadly I think you've hit the nail on the head there for me. I think a lot of people are viewing the appointment dispassionately for what I believe should be a key position within our club. I'm not saying the appointment should be one that's dictated by pure raw emotion but I believe it's a role that should have behavioural standards that any person going for it should be held to. Steve Evans doesn't come close to that for me.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People need to realise there is no loyalty at clubs anymore!! If Oldham offered me £1k a week I would leave my job. If arsenal offered me 5k a week I would jump ship at Oldham! Evans at this time is a brilliant manager for us and one we should be backing to get us up that table next year. People want competitive you've got it don't moan as it isn't the one you would have picked

To which I'd respond "how about an overturned conviction of rape?"

Each to their own and I can understand why people view Ched as being worse, but Steve is worse in my view. They're at least in a similar bracket in my eyes and I wish my club had nothing to do with either of them.

If we had signed Ched before his conviction was overturned there's a very strong chance that I would've cut emotional ties with the club in it's current form. The more I think about it, hiring Steve would put me in a similar position.

I'm sure victims of rape would think differently very insensitive to say that! Rape and tax invasion will never be in the same bracket! Definate give your head a wobble time.

You can't please everyone I suppose. Evans will be like marmite some will complain if he's appointed but I think the majority of our fans will be delighted if he's our manager, the people who hate him will soon change thier minds if he's got us up challenging, the fraud thing was years ago it's not like he's still at it, he probably regrets it, he was punished and that's the end of it big deal, and how anyone can say that's worse then rape is beyond me. People who find reason to complain about the man despite his record are looking into it to much I think.

You can't please everyone I suppose. Evans will be like marmite some will complain if he's appointed but I think the majority of our fans will be delighted if he's our manager, the people who hate him will soon change thier minds if he's got us up challenging, the fraud thing was years ago it's not like he's still at it, he probably regrets it, he was punished and that's the end of it big deal, and how anyone can say that's worse then rape is beyond me. People who find reason to complain about the man despite his record are looking into it to much I think.

Agree ?

People need to realise there is no loyalty at clubs anymore!! If Oldham offered me £1k a week I would leave my job. If arsenal offered me 5k a week I would jump ship at Oldham! Evans at this time is a brilliant manager for us and one we should be backing to get us up that table next year. People want competitive you've got it don't moan as it isn't the one you would have picked

No loyalty, probably, but there is self-respect, which is why many opposed Ched Evans - plenty believed he should be allowed back to work, just not at their club. While tax evasion doesn't compare to rape (of course) I can understand some people's resistance to a crook (whose crime was football-related) being appointed the face of their club, even though most are desperate enough for success to not really be that arsed.

No loyalty, probably, but there is self-respect, which is why many opposed Ched Evans - plenty believed he should be allowed back to work, just not at their club. While tax evasion doesn't compare to rape (of course) I can understand some people's resistance to a crook (whose crime was football-related) being appointed the face of their club, even though most are desperate enough for success to not really be that arsed.

Agree also!

I'm not sure quite how we're wangling this but my question to everyone is: -

Would you have preferred Shez with his £1.2m budget or the touted Evans with £1.8m?

Opposite for me Daniel. If Evans comes, count me out..................................final straw

I would have said Shez but after the Chaddysmoker post I have changed my mind ........ Is that final straw guaranteed? :smoking:

To which I'd respond "how about an overturned conviction of rape?" But I honestly don't want to go around in circles about Ched Evans again.

Each to their own and I can understand why people view Ched as being worse, but Steve is worse in my view. They're at least in a similar bracket in my eyes and I wish my club had nothing to do with either of them.

If we had signed Ched before his conviction was overturned there's a very strong chance that I would've cut emotional ties with the club in it's current form. The more I think about it, hiring Steve would put me in a similar position.

You're off your rocker! Ignoring Evans2 and taking them at face value agnostic of the person:

"Mate did I tell you? Some bloke came round my nan's and conned her in to giving him £1,500 for a boiler check up! Yeh, he got done for fraud!"

"Mate did I tell you? Some bloke came round my nan's..............! Yeh, he got done for rape!"

Which one's worse!? I agree that you can extrapolate fraud out to Lehman Brothers levels and then we're getting closer to comparable. But that's not what you've said!

The level or rape apologists on is somewhat terrifying.

You're off your rocker! Ignoring Evans2 and taking them at face value agnostic of the person:

"Mate did I tell you? Some bloke came round my nan's and conned her in to giving him £1,500 for a boiler check up! Yeh, he got done for fraud!"

"Mate did I tell you? Some bloke came round my nan's..............! Yeh, he got done for rape!"

Which one's worse!? I agree that you can extrapolate fraud out to Lehman Brothers levels and then we're getting closer to comparable. But that's not what you've said!

The level or rape apologists on is somewhat terrifying.

Whilst I completely agree we do seem to be missing the fact that Evans © is currently guilty of nothing and Evans (S) is a convicted criminal. Still, as a bleeding heart liberal who hopes that rehabilitation of offenders exists, I would employ both.

Although I've never liked his football personality I'd welcome Evans as manager. He pleaded guilty, was sentenced and has carried out that sentence. He's also been employed in the game for quite a long time after without further issues.

I'm sure there would have been plenty of Rotherham fans unhappy with his appointment but in taking them from the middle of league 2 on gates of 3500 to surviving in the Championship on gates of 10000+, he's had a huge positive affect on that club and no doubt the local community as a result. As far as I'm aware he did it without a moneybags chairman (may be wrong on that!), and no repeats of previous crimes.

He's served his time, he's done good things in the game since, so no reason for him to be frozen out as far as I'm concerned. And if he is to be our new manager and can drag us up the league and get more people coming to matches then he'll have done positive things for OAFC and Oldham itself too. We've had apathy and negativity for far too long now.

I do hope those venting their displeasure at signing Steve Evans and threatening to stop supporting the club didn't cheer when Lee Hughes was banging goals in left, right and centre, because he too was a convicted criminal and that was much worse than fraud.

Edited by sjk2008

Disagree that he's no Ched Evans. ***In my eyes (and most people's I'd image) rape is worse than fraud***, however convictions for both are very serious and signing a player or manager who's convicted of either brings our club into disrepute (even more than we already are).

Aside from the fact that Ched has had his conviction overturned, Steve's crime is more likely to be relevant to a football club.

To which I'd respond "how about an overturned conviction of rape?" But I honestly don't want to go around in circles about Ched Evans again.

Rape v fraud is absolutely a no contest. I am surprised anyone would try to argue it. Accused v convicted.....more of a moot point?

Thanks Magister that was the exact point I was trying to make.

As I said above, rape is worse than fraud. Being a convicted fraudster is worse than being an accused rapist though. I wanted Ched Evans nowhere near our club because of he was a convicted criminal, same as Steve Evans.

I am not a rape apologist by any stretch. Apologies if I didn't make that clear in my previous posts.

OK hands up all those that have avoided paying tax whether it be £1 or £300K !!!

We have a parliament full of MPs running the country a lot of which have fiddled their expenses and avoided tax.

i suspect that 95% of us would do it given the chance , he got caught and has paid the price.

How anybody can even think of comparing rape and manslaughter to that is ridiculous.

I would welcome him at BP and he can even do my accounts !!!!!!!!!!!!

OK hands up all those that have avoided paying tax whether it be £1 or £300K !!!

We have a parliament full of MPs running the country a lot of which have fiddled their expenses and avoided tax.

i suspect that 95% of us would do it given the chance , he got caught and has paid the price.

How anybody can even think of comparing rape and manslaughter to that is ridiculous.

I would welcome him at BP and he can even do my accounts !!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think anybody is comparing rape to manslaughter to fraud. The issue is convicted v accused

PS a world of difference between tax avoidance and tax evasion

Edited by Magister

I don't think anybody is comparing rape to manslaughter to fraud. The issue is convicted v accused

PS a world of difference between tax avoidance and tax evasion

And a world of difference between fiddling a few quid on your self-assessment and a 5 year systematic fraud that resulted in a football club gaining an unfair advantage and over £300,000 being withheld from public funds.

And a world of difference between fiddling a few quid on your self-assessment and a 5 year systematic fraud that resulted in a football club gaining an unfair advantage and over £300,000 being withheld from public funds.

yes and multiply the thousand of S-A fiddles which runs into millions !!!

Where does the argument stop ?

In truth the people we look to employ are probably a reflection of where we currently are as a club !!!!

We'll if we're at the stage where we are looking to appoint a proven winner I'd be happy with where we currently are as a club because we'd obviously be looking to push on