New Manager Thread [Mergomatic Active]

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

O'Driscoll seems to have gone from being widely regarded as a decent manager who plays good football to a bit of a failure.

Seems to have left his last few jobs after 5 minutes though so maybe if he can get settled here he'd do ok.

I used to read what a weapon Westley was but he comes across alright when he's on TalkSport. He'd have to get off to a flyer with a lot of our fans though as if he plays the long ball stuff he's most known for they'll be straight on his back if it's not producing wins.

Like Evans he's another nutter though, and I like that...

That pic could be Cotterill too though who would be an amazing appointment. Arguably better than Evans, although I personally would have preferred Evans's brand of football.

Whoever it is I really couldn't care less anymore as long as it's somebody experienced who knows how to put a pre season together & make some decent signings rapido....

Edited by HarryBosch

Westley had Peterborough flying when he first joined, put up some crazy shot stats, seemed to turn sour after they sold Washington.

O'Driscoll seems to be, to quote Joey Barton, an energy vampire.

Adkins' career seems to be on the wane.

Out of the three Westley could be the most fun, I'd go with him.

If we're going with experience (which seems to be the unanimous wish on here) then we have to accept they'll have failed at some point. They just need to have had successes, ideally in this league.

O'Driscoll for me, based on what he's achieved and the style. Hopefully the recent failure at Walsall was a blip.

Westley had Peterborough flying when he first joined, put up some crazy shot stats, seemed to turn sour after they sold Washington.

O'Driscoll seems to be, to quote Joey Barton, an energy vampire.

Adkins' career seems to be on the wane.

Out of the three Westley could be the most fun, I'd go with him.

Embraced attacking football at Peterborough but lost the fans and players according to their rag. Cos he's a monumental bellend.

O'Driscoll is a massive risk. Adkins may be following a similar path, but more high-profile.

In the end of the day, to appoint an experienced 'name' we have to get somebody on the wane, as the Evans saga proved. That Scottish one you mentioned the other week looked decent.

Cottrell was excellent at Leagues 1 & 2 level, but was out if his depth in the Championship. Could be just what we need though; he'll have hopefully learned from his time at Brizzle City.

Hopefully learned !? He pissed this league !

Be absolutely delighted if it's cotterill .

He tried to merge Farnborough with Kingstonian over the objections of both sets of fans.

Forced an FA Cup tie to move from Farnborough to Arsenal for the money, then left shortly after.

Loves buzzwords and gibberish - renamed Farnborough's ground to the AIMITA Stadium ("Attitude Is More Important Than Ability"). As the BBC stated, he comes across as more of a middle manager than a football manager.

Famous for his man management skills - texting players and accusing them of leaking tactics.

I don't like his style or what he's tried to do in the past and I don't think he's right for us.

I can't comment on your first point because I don't know the details but your other points just seem petty. Is it not a common occurrence for an none league team to change the venue for revenue purposes?

Sorry. What I meant was he would have learned to manage at a higher level if he got us out of this Godforsaken division. I hadn't made that clear.

I'd be delighted with Cotterill too but it's fair to mention that the transfer fees he spent getting Bristol City up totalled 7 figures comfortably. I wouldn't expect him to have that much of an effect here.

That said, it doesn't say much for O'Driscoll who had similar funds and took them to the opposite end of the league.

Embraced attacking football at Peterborough but lost the fans and players according to their rag. Cos he's a monumental bellend.

This is the problem for me (it shouldn't be a problem but it will be) - some of our misanthropic lot contrived to not even like Shez.....

I'd be delighted with Cotterill too but it's fair to mention that the transfer fees he spent getting Bristol City up totalled 7 figures comfortably. I wouldn't expect him to have that much of an effect here.

That said, it doesn't say much for O'Driscoll who had similar funds and took them to the opposite end of the league.

O'Driscoll's mandate at Bristol City was to use their youth system as much as possible, which didn't work out and got him sacked.

He had far less money than most of their managers before and since. (I think)

He's a proper organiser though. Always produces big, strong sides. He could do alright even with some less talented lumps than the one's he had at Bristol City

I'd be confident he'd produce our best finish in a long time regardless of the resources he's given...

I can't comment on your first point because I don't know the details but your other points just seem petty. Is it not a common occurrence for an none league team to change the venue for revenue purposes?

Depends on your point of view. How deeply unpopular he is with fans at most clubs he's managed says something. My opinion, and yeah I know that's all it is, is that his walk rarely lives up to his talk.

Would be happy with that, very good reputation in the game and has very good contacts. Last few jobs haven't really gone his way with being tied with players and not really getting a transfer window so would welcome that appointment.