David Dunn: Can he do it and will it change?

So with David Dunn in interim charge (provisional based on how results and performances go), will things change around. In the LP interview Dunn looks composed, excited and enthusiastic despite it coming at what doesn't sound like a shock (take note of him saying he didn't expect it to happen so soon).

Some positives to look at:

1) his playing experience and contacts in the game far exceed that of Kelly and perhaps to an extent LJ, based on his vast Premier league experience.

2) in his playing days he was a very good midfielder and a real leader on the pitch. Could this transcend onto improvements to our very own (Kelly, Jones, Winchester, Green etc)

3) he has played with the team for a number of games so has seen to some extent the strengths and weaknesses of the lads.

4) he will demand respect and from my opinion has that authoritative figure that Kelly severely lacked.

Will it change? We can only hope and believe that he will learn from Kelly's mistakes.

All in all we need to get behind him and give him time. On to Doncaster!!!!

Edited by RoyleArmy1994

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So with David Dunn in interim charge (provisional based on how results and performances go), will things change around. In the LP interview Dunn looks composed, excited and enthusiastic despite it coming at what doesn't sound like a shock (take note of him saying he didn't expect it to happen so soon).

Some positives to look at:

1) his playing experience and contacts in the game far exceed that of Kelly and perhaps to an extent LJ, based on his vast Premier league experience.

2) in his playing days he was a very good midfielder and a real leader on the pitch. Could this transcend onto improvements to our very own (Kelly, Jones, Winchester, Green etc)

3) he has played with the team for a number of games so has seen to some extent the strengths and weaknesses of the lads.

4) he will demand respect and from my opinion has that authoritative figure that Kelly severely lacked.

Will it change? We can only hope and believe that he will learn from Kelly's mistakes.

All in all we need to get behind him and give him time. On to Doncaster!!!!

All fair points except the one highlighted. You don't demand respect, you earn it. He will have certain respect for his experience, granted.

But as a man and a manager, you can have all the experience in the world, won 5 World Cups, but if you are an arsehole-you are an arsehole.

We simply don't know what the players think of him, but it might become clearer very quickly.

Otherwise, the likes of Roy Keane would be amazing managers.

Edited by singe

I was sold when he said all the players are playing for their shirt! DK seemed too much of a nice guy. Dunn has been there done it and bought the tee shirt, he will have the respect of the players, he knows were we've gone wrong and what he wants to improve.

Fingers crossed

Shame he didnt for his last boss, hope it all goes pear shaped for him.

I think he has been one of our better players this season.

If you want him to fail then you're not a true fan in my opinion.

What we need now is for everyone fans included to be pulling in the same direction starting at Doncaster.

He came over as very nervous but that's understandable. You can't doubt his ambition and enthusiasm though. In his career he played creative football and we have some players who can be creative in midfield.

Sounds like a bit of activity in and out the club on the player front too and already been on the phone to contacts for guidance and I guess pulling a few favours.

He's also spotted what's not working in respect of tactics and personnel..

It's a gamble for him but I'm confident he'll do a lot better than Kelly.

Shame he didnt for his last boss, hope it all goes pear shaped for him.

I asked you this yesterday without reply. Have you ever been happy with OAFC or any subject relating to the club?

Fast beginning to think you're a troll......I think that's the term used on the net.

I asked you this yesterday without reply. Have you ever been happy with OAFC or any subject relating to the club?

Fast beginning to think you're a troll......I think that's the term used on the net.

He's certainly not a happy clapper, i think its just a case of if you watch us for long enough you become a miserable bugger.

Define a troll then, someone who has an opinion different from your own? I dont like the underhand way our current board do things, now I know your the only paid up member of the Barry Owen club so we are unlikely to see eye to eye, but troll - really??

Another risky appointment with zero managerial experience and, as far as I can tell, very little coaching experience/qualifications.

He certainly has more personality than Kelly but I can't say I'm excited.

I reckon DD has had loads of top class coaching experience, from the receiving end, that's the coaching experience that DK didn't have and the experience that no coaching badge can give.

Regarding coaching badges I'm not even sure they are very relevant in our division and lower. Managers from the Prem down come away from those coaching badge sessions with the same ideas, but not all players have the ability to carry through those ideas.

Edited by laticsrblue

The advantage of having Dunn - and no disrespect to Kelly - is that he has genuine contacts in coaching and management that have experience at our level and above.

He's already said he's been continually on the phone so it wouldn't surprise me if he gets help in person on the training pitch. Some of those contacts don't need the money but will miss football and being involved in that would be too good to turn down.

He doesn't need the badges personally just yet but a seasoned head alongside him....Dunn taking over even as interim could well be a shrewd move for us and address the mistake in appointing an unknown.