New Strikers this week?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the Chron, DD says:

"It’s going to be a busy week in terms of recruiting, I would certainly expect to see some centre-forwards coming in. We're working on a few things."

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/10/oldham-athletic-news/94182/dunns-search-to-boost-firepower

I was rather hoping for a midfielder but whatever.

Little point bringing in more strikers to fail if we are going to play a 4-2-3-1 or a 6-3-1 depends how you look at it, that striker could be whoever you want, but the simple fact is if he is isolated and running the channels on his own it will have very little impact on how we play, how far has being difficult to beat got us this season? Other than knocking a few hundred off the gate its been negative and defeatest, even against mediocre opponents on Saturday we were :censored: scared to cross the halfway line and it lifts the opposition when they see how we set up.

As for taking three lads from Accrington, are we really that :censored: we need three of their players! Looks like some are getting ready for life in League 2 already.

Edited by yarddog73

The move away from attacking formations seems prevalent throughout football and whilst it can work at the highest level with genuinely great players with the pace and vision to break well and move out of position when the moments arise I still am not a big fan of it.

At League One level where the facets of speed / vision / ability tend to fall into the mutually exclusive area of the venn diagram it is just plain dull. My favourite Latics memories are of teams with width and an attacking mindset....I remember walking out of the 1-0 win at home vs Manchester United in 1993 delighted with the result buy saying to my Dad that I couldn't watch that type of defensive football on a regular basis and never changed my mind since.

I go to the game to be entertained.

They are probably better than our current lot, there's no great gap between the two leagues.

Agree. The number of teams that go down and struggle, and that come up and do well is a measure of that.

Regionalise it again and get more local derbies, bigger crowds and less Tuesday night away games in Essex.

The loan market doesn't work for us because we don't pay the money to get the good ones and/or don't seem to have any meaningful relationships with our neighbours.

Agree for the most part. But we have had some decent loans over the years - Kilkenny / Croft / Bertrand - but its been a whilst since we had a good one.

Agree for the most part. But we have had some decent loans over the years - Kilkenny / Croft / Bertrand - but its been a whilst since we had a good one.

Yes, in fairness I've probably overlooked a few that we have made that at least looked good on paper - Barnard, Derbyshire, Smith, even Kean last season.

Coleman back in goal, Mills and Kelly and a striker for Saturday may give us a fighting chance against Wigan, but our problems, just like our formations go much deeper than that and I've come to the conclusion we are just :censored:, really :censored:!

I would have liked to seen Cassidy and turner up top together. Turner has always needed someone up there with him and Cassidy works hard and can get him doing things. Wouldn't surprise me if they do play together once Cassidy is back from injury and turner has a few games under his belt.