Things I Miss

Rain is hammering down outside , which got me thinking about muddy pitches , which got me on to other things I miss about watching Latics (and football in general in the main). Unashamed nostalgia and the views of a dinosaur maybe - but dinosaurs are ok.

1. Hot Vimto. There were basically three hot drinks available at BP refreshment bars in the 60s. Tea, Bovril, and hot Vimto. Not the gassy stuff but made from cordial. Health drink ...

2. Cushions. In the stand you could hire a cushion for 6d. The containers where they were kept are still there. Occasionally the dissatisfaction at either the team or the ref meant several of them were thrown on the pitch.

3. Paddock transfers. At BP and lots of other grounds you could transfer from either end to stand at the side for a small additional payment.

4. Wing Stands . Similarly the hierarchy of extra payments was extant in the stand too. The two end sections were Wing Stands - a little cheaper than the central section.

5. Dogs. How long is it since a dog got on the pitch and stopped play? Not a frequent occurrence but it happened sometimes. There's a picture of Latics' keeper David Best catching one in one game.

6. Rosettes. Big games and there were always rosette sellers. Blue and white satin, the word "Oldham" on a piece of card across the front, and very often a tinfoil replica of the FA Cup in the middle

7. Home Reserve Matches. Score from the first team playing away would be announced over the tannoy.

8. Muddy Pitches. Ah, the starting point. There are times when I don't recognise the surface that we play on now. What's the green colouring ? Come December at the latest and BP could be like a farmers field - and the games were still entertaining. Blood and thunder rather than tippy tappy.

9. Rattles. Obviously. A leftover from warnings of gas attacks in the trenches every self respecting young supporter had one. (So did some older ones). No way would they be allowed nowadays.

10. Plain Clothes Police. Well maybe not that much missed but amusing to remember them . "Trouble" in the Chaddy End became increasingly common in the 60s , pre-segregation, and it was announce that plain clothes bobbies would be in the crowd to apprehend the troublemakers. Never hard to spot their disguise was normally a jacket over the usual blue police shirt, black tie, and uniform trousers.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rain is hammering down outside , which got me thinking about muddy pitches , which got me on to other things I miss about watching Latics (and football in general in the main). Unashamed nostalgia and the views of a dinosaur maybe - but dinosaurs are ok.

7. Home Reserve Matches. Score from the first team playing away would be announced over the tannoy.

This for me. I used to go quite often when I was in my early teens - one particular game springs to mind although the memory may not be exact:

The first team was away at Bristol Rovers and losing 3-1 late into the second half. We then pulled one back and equalised with seconds to go. Cue delirium in the Chaddy End. And no, I cannot remember whom the reserves were playing...

Thanks LaticsPete for this great memory.

Edited by TheBigDog

The smell of pies, tobacco and bovril in the old chaddy end

Chucking of bog roll onto the pitch

The team actually running out

Proper Latics related songs

Mitre Deltas

The score board

Klix chewing gum

Pitch side tea trollies

7.30pm kick offs

A settled team we can identify with

Golden goal tickets

Changing ends at half time by walking behind old Broadway stand

People selling Uncle Joe mint balls outside the ground

Getting your mum to sew the names of players on your scarf (they played for us for years)

Biggish crowds at reserve games 2000+

"Half time scores three thirty winners" shouts from the newspaper sellers

Looking forward to buying Green Final

Being at BP with my Dad

The half time scoreboard

The Latics song: Can't remember what it's called, but I think it's a marching song that goes de da de da de da de da da. BP 1960 and LaticsPete will remember it, I'm sure, so please correct this if it's wrong. If I've remembered the words correctly, it's: We are supporters of the Latics, Jack Rowley is the King. Alan Williams in the centre and Peter Phoenix is the wizard of the wing. Branagan and McCue at full back, and Bobby Johnstone inside right. Bert Lister is the crasher for the boys in blue and white.

The wind and rain so bad, that the band at half time had to play up in the main stand

A flimsy programme that could only be read if the wind wasn't blowing, which meant leaving it until you got home

Billy Spurdle

Ted "Knocker" West, a right footed left back. And a bloody good one, too

Playing on a foot of snow. Remember Boxing Day, 1962? Latics 11-0 Southport

Being in the middle of a crowd of Scousers when we played Liverpool in the Cup (1962?). Over 42,000 there that day

Christ, I feel old.

Edited by Bristolatic

A line of SELNEC buses on Sheepfoot Lane and the drivers and conducters watching the last few minutes of the game from the back of the Main Stand paddock, Chaddy end side. Didn't they have brown uniforms?

Also remember the blue plastic invalid cars by the side of the pitch and the hordes of lads in the Chaddy with scarves wrapped round their wrists.

If you could get up town quick enough(people leaning out of doorways asking who won), there would be a gaggle of fans in front of the T.V. shops getting confirmation of other results, or perhaps the full classified at 5 o'clock.

Then, from about half five you could get the gloriously rushed Pink Final. All topped off with a chip butty from the Golden Oven!

9. Rattles. Obviously. A leftover from warnings of gas attacks in the trenches every self respecting young supporter had one. (So did some older ones). No way would they be allowed nowadays.

My old next door neighbour gave me his old Latics rattle when I was a kid. It's lovely. Home painted blue frame and tangerine flappy bits, with skew-whiff gold lettering spelling out "LATICS" on the blue.

It makes a hell of a noise. I've never actually tried taking it to a Latics game but it went down a storm in lieu of a cowbell when the Tour de France came through Yorkshire last year.

Another thing - big matches and when when queuing at the turnstiles I remember the mounted police and how they would get their bloody great horses to pirouette and nudge the rowdy fans into line with their arses. And when it was raining they wore huge waterproof capes (the police, not the horses, though the capes were so big, they covered both).

Hanging on the railings at the front of the chaddy.

Inflatable yard dogs

Going for a pie and bovril and missing a goal. (Always seemed to happen)

Selling my season ticket reserve team vouchers to man city fans pretending they would get them in to the ground. (5-2 defeat) mugs!!!

Another thing - big matches and when when queuing at the turnstiles I remember the mounted police and how they would get their bloody great horses to pirouette and nudge the rowdy fans into line with their arses. And when it was raining they wore huge waterproof capes (the police, not the horses, though the capes were so big, they covered both).

Nasty :censored:ers them horses. .Trained to headbutt. .