David Dunn is a football genius.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those who say Poleon is :censored: after he's been played up front on his own, again, will be the same people who said Rhys Murphy was :censored: when he was getting played on his own. These people seem surprised that they're not bagging a goal a game with James Wilson's hoofs out for a goal kick and surprised they're not winning every header against a 6'2 centre back

My issues with Poleon today were

When a cross from the left found him in a position six yards out to either volley on the turn left footed or flick a header from a bending position he chose to try and chest the ball down in the six yard box

When he was the lead player In a four against three position able to shoot or pass left he gave the ball away on the edge of the box

Second half he was stood on his own in the six yard box far post free header missed by ten feet

I don't criticise for not being able to play on his own up front but for the above

Pace of a greyhound but unfortunately the ball control of one too.

Edited by astottie

For me, it's not so much about formations but what happens when we win possession of the ball and move towards the final third of the pitch.

I thought the difference between the 2 teams today is that, on the relatively few occasions Burton won possession inside our half, they moved the ball forward quickly to forwards running in the channels and caused us problems whilst some of our defenders were still out of position.

On the more numerous occasions we won the ball in a similar situation we slowed play down allowing them time to reorganise and get 2 banks of 4 in place before we even attempted to hurt them.

It's not just Burton, this seems to have been the pattern for large parts of most home games under both managers.

It is negative formation.

When we attack and the ball is crossed we have one sometimes 2 players in their box.

The opposition always appear to have far more when they attack.

Our midfielders play too deep.

When was the last time a mid player scored

running into the box!!!!

We should play every home game like the 2nd leg of a cup game and we are 2 down

from the first leg.

Sure we will lose quite a few but we would sure win a lot more than

current form and it would give far more entertainment.

Can't see what we have to lose, 4 home wins in 12 months with entertainment value

oh nil says it all.

For me, it's not so much about formations but what happens when we win possession of the ball and move towards the final third of the pitch.

I thought the difference between the 2 teams today is that, on the relatively few occasions Burton won possession inside our half, they moved the ball forward quickly to forwards running in the channels and caused us problems whilst some of our defenders were still out of position.

On the more numerous occasions we won the ball in a similar situation we slowed play down allowing them time to reorganise and get 2 banks of 4 in place before we even attempted to hurt them.

It's not just Burton, this seems to have been the pattern for large parts of most home games under both managers.

Absolutely spot on.

The formation itself is not simply to blame. We transition so slowly when we finally win the ball that teams have an age to reset defensively.

It needs a change of mindset and intensity - otherwise 2 up front will make little difference.

I remember when I first started to go to Latics - I didn't give two :censored:s about formations, patterns of play and all the rest of this current obsession where everyone's a manager....all I cared about was scoring more than the other team and I didn't care who scored or which position they played in!

Spot on, when they broke it was with pace with forward players making runs & midfielder absolutely busting a gut to get in to support.

At times when we gainesd possession we made 4 passes to get the ball back to the player that had it in the first place. By which time every Burton man was behind the ball.

Another massive difference was when they did attack they got number in the box. 4 attackers to our 4 defenders when a cross came in. In very similar positions even though we always hit the first man we had Poleon against 4 with Winchester or Kelly lurking outside the box. Far too easy for every team in the league. Can't understand why we aren't scoring.

LOUD NOISES!

Burton look a decent side, had one chance after we lost the ball cheaply and finished it well. We huffed and puffed a bit, nearly equalised but for a great save from their keeper. Lost our way a bit in the second half but it certainly wasn't as bad as some want to make out.

Just this

The team selection was the biggest problem and I think the system we play doesn't suit home games. It's alright playing that team and system away from home but we need to be on the front foot at home. Instead of an unbalanced midfield and forward line we need to change it to actually play people in their natural positions. Drop philliskirk for home games and drop Fulton and play Kelly and Jones in the middle.

It's alright playing this tippy tappy sidewards negative football but it gets us nowhere. We lack pace and ideas once we get into their half!

Just listened to Dunn's BBC interview, a couple of things stood out.

When asked about it being difficult without two of his best players in Higdon or Jones, Dunn then included Lafferty in that list. Fair enough complimenting Lafferty who's a good player, but it will be interesting to see how Mills reacts to that.

Also Dunn says we will be missing "quite a few" of our loanees next week. With Kelly also suspended I fear that we'll be "concentrating on the league" by this time next week.

Just listened to Dunn's BBC interview, a couple of things stood out.

When asked about it being difficult without two of his best players in Higdon or Jones, Dunn then included Lafferty in that list. Fair enough complimenting Lafferty who's a good player, but it will be interesting to see how Mills reacts to that.

Also Dunn says we will be missing "quite a few" of our loanees next week. With Kelly also suspended I fear that we'll be "concentrating on the league" by this time next week.

I dont think Simon Corney will be saying that to Dunn. Round 3 minimum expectation. If we go out next week it could kill what little confidence this team has.

I dont think Simon Corney will be saying that to Dunn. Round 3 minimum expectation. If we go out next week it could kill what little confidence this team has.

Absolutely. When we beat Liverpool and Drew with Everton that accrued £ 212,000 in prize money and £ 486,000 in TV rights plus crowd income. For clubs like us the F A Cup is not a take it or leave it event. It can be life changing

What was obvious to our management before the game is that Poleon alone up front on his own doesn't work. Thats why Higdon was brought in. We've been there. So why has Dunn decided not to use that obvious intel. Where is Higdon? Fuller was the clear alternative. Not seeing any change to the :censored:e 5-4-1 at half time was frustrating to say the least. Yes Poleon needs to fight more but today it was Dunn who got it wrong and cost us. So then. Where is Higdon?