This better be the worst feeling I experience this season

But most would agree a sub who comes on and changes a game should earn a start next game.

Likewise the subbed player should lose his starting place if he hasn't played well enough to stay on, especially a striker...

It's not always that simple but sticking with what finally won you two games in a row does seem even simpler.

Eckersley had a very good game v Mansfield, but was dropped, his replacement today was even better, maybe both should play next time if playing for the shirt and form was the criteria, can either play left back instead of Mills who was poor today?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But most would agree a sub who comes on and changes a game should earn a start next game.

Likewise the subbed player should lose his starting place if he hasn't played well enough to stay on, especially a striker...

It's not always that simple but sticking with what finally won you two games in a row does seem even simpler.

Was that Rasulo's first ever professional start? 18yo, it's a big leap from 20 minutes cameos to starting.

Not playing Fulton was a bigger mistake.

My view on today. First half awful Barnsley had enough chances to be at least 2 goals to the good. We looked like the team who had lost 8 league games in a row. Saying that the finish for the first goal was quality, although I think it took a deflection.

At one nil down the the fans kept on singing until half time, when half time arrived there was a few boos which was understandable. Yet again at home we looked second best.

In the second half we was more positive although not creating to many clear chances. The fans still making a decent atmosphere, at this point I said to a couple of friends after the recent digs at the fans and their chanting, how many home teams would still have this type of backing after the home performances we have seen?? We have all been to away games where when we as the away team are winning and the home fans are silent. At latics this does not happen.

Any way after the goal for us the game was there for the taking, when Higdon come on he won everything in the air yet no one was willing to take a chance and push on. I get the impression when we are on the front foot we a scared of taking that chance.

To be honest i missed Barnsleys second chatting to some one next to me, am told it was bad defending.

I came away from a home game yet again questioning why I dont just go away games, I enjoy them alot more.

Was that Rasulo's first ever professional start? 18yo, it's a big leap from 20 minutes cameos to starting.

Not playing Fulton was a bigger mistake.

You make a good point about starts, not many, maybe that's why DD preferred him off the bench. I'd like to see him in central midfield behind a front 2, but I guess some may say that would be a luxury in our current league position.

I'd also like to see Fulton pushed further forward rather than in tandem with Kelly, he has the ability to cause defences problems. but appears shackled.

Edited by BP1960

I had concerns as soon as I read Dunn describing Barnsley being in a false position.

Smacked of bigging up vulnerable opposition in attempt to keep focus, when telling our guys we're going to win as they are vulnerable fodder - if we do X and Y... might be preferable!

Not that I'm an expert. But how come for everyone else, and whenever we play, the table never lies.... Yet when we play a team even lower than us - guess what, they're in a 'false position'...and we play like they're in a higher position.

You can bet LJ didn't tell Barnsley to sit off us due to the threat of Poleon's pace or Rasulo's through balls. He'll have said we're where we are in the table for a reason, we don't score much for a reason, and we're poor at home for a reason..., so get stuck in and press high.

He got a team that had lost eight league games on the bounce to be more motivated and fired up than us - despite being on the verge of the sack!!

Edited by IceStationLatic

Don't often get to home games but went today with a mate who's a Sheff Utd fan. His verdict - you played well enough to win that. Can't believe you lost.

My verdict - if they hadn't got a winner people would be talking how we got much better as the game went on. Now we lost any positives will be forgotten.

After reading this thread it feels like I went to a different game.

Don't often get to home games but went today with a mate who's a Sheff Utd fan. His verdict - you played well enough to win that. Can't believe you lost.

My verdict - if they hadn't got a winner people would be talking how we got much better as the game went on. Now we lost any positives will be forgotten.

You must have, they hit the post, crossbar and had two shots blocked in the six yard box and thats just for starters, even the ardent happy clappers are getting well pissed off with how we are playing.

You must have, they hit the post, crossbar and had two shots blocked in the six yard box and thats just for starters, even the ardent happy clappers are getting well pissed off with how we are playing.

Where did I say that didn't happen?

2nd half we attacked. The final ball was often lacking but we attacked them. How often did Yeates skin their right back? How often did Dummigan do the same on the other side? How often did Fulton get in the box?

Its like once their 2nd goal went in our entire 2nd half performance was erased from everyone's mind.

2nd half we attacked. The final ball was often lacking but we attacked them. How often did Yeates skin their right back? How often did Dummigan do the same on the other side? How often did Fulton get in the box?

Its like once their 2nd goal went in our entire 2nd half performance was erased from everyone's mind.

You can have 46 good second halves in a season but if we're drawing a few and losing most we will go down

We didn't deserve to win that game, nor draw it if i'm being totally honest.

Girlfriend came to the conclusion today that we're far too negative, and don't want to take any risks when attacking. She also said that it looks like the players are being taught in a way to play short quick passes but when a player misplaces a pass or passes to a player surrounded by 2 or 3 opposition players, it totally :censored:s any progression we make.

For someone that had never been to a football match until last season, she's got it pretty much nailed on.

Going to be a long hard slog this season...

I agree.

Any way after the goal for us the game was there for the taking, when Higdon come on he won everything absolutely nothing in the air, yet we looked so much better. Why can't Dunn see we need to play with two up front? Even with the ball occasionally bouncing off a lumbering hulk we have so much more of an attacking threat. Roll on Cassidy's return.

FTFY

They hit the post and crossbar before we had a shot, thats at home to a team thats lost 8 and went out of the cup to mighty Altrincham, even York who are 90th in the FL and have 3 points out of 30 in the League took the lead at Oakwell and held out for over an hour, was this really a game for one up front and an untried kid in behind? We did have a good 20 minute spell but can anyone honestly think we deserved anything yesterday, Dummingan, Kelly and Yeats played well but too many are not.

As for all the Poleon haters I feel sorry for the lad its the same old with regards our strikers and hoofing it up to him constantly must be soul destroying, you only have to read the Barnsley forum to know they dont like teams running at them as Dummingan/Yeates demonstrated yesterday yet we chose to to bypass our midfield with the Bradfordesque punts upfront, yesterdays game was made for two upfront with Rasulo in behind but we still persisted with this safety first negative :censored:e.

Look what Klopps done at Liverpool with a different mindset, Rodgers strangled the life out of that team yet Klopp has got the same bunch playing Chelsea and City off the park, we have the players to be effective but yet again have ended up with another powerpoint muppet manager who play for 0-0 whatever the opposition.

Dummigan did and Yeats caused problems 2nd half.

BP ....why is Yeates getting off lightly with giving away the decisive free kick which became necessary because of his lack of pace and awareness of the run being made in his area of responsibility?

I am sure you will agree that too often on this board we concentrate on play in the opposing half when in actual fact we lose matches in our own half..Yeates and coleman badly at fault for second and a Dieng should never have been turned in the corner for the first . Both goals very preventable

BP ....why is Yeates getting off lightly with giving away the decisive free kick which became necessary because of his lack of pace and awareness of the run being made in his area of responsibility?

I am sure you will agree that too often on this board we concentrate on play in the opposing half when in actual fact we lose matches in our own half..Yeates and coleman badly at fault for second and a Dieng should never have been turned in the corner for the first . Both goals very preventable

If you recollect the freekick was central-not directly in his area of responsibility. He took the man down and I applauded him for it.

I couldnt see what happened from the free kick but heard it was Coleman's fault.

I could see Timmy let the bloke walk past him for the first-that was his fault but still cannot blame Yeates for the second

I could see Timmy let the bloke walk past him for the first-that was his fault but still cannot blame Yeates for the second

Definately, all dieng had tp do was stay goal side and he tried toget the ball when it was going nowhere.

If yeates doesnt bring the guy down and they go on to scote, he'd get grief for NOT bringing him down. Id rather take my chance with a dead central free kick 50 yards out than a 4 on 4 counter attack....