New manager being discussed?

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd rather that we had someone else leading us in this battle against relegation, but if we aren't going to sack him now and we're going to give him the chance to bring in a fair amount of players then this is the point that I'd be happy enough to draw a line under the issue and give Dunn the rest of the season.

We either get worse and no one else will have the fair chance to turn it around or we get better and there's no clear need to make a change. There's a fair chance that we'll get relegated but it certainly won't be entirely Dunn's fault if we do and, regardless of whether we are in League One or Two by next July, I expect Dunn to have put in place tangible signs that we are heading in the right direction in order to justify him keeping his job for next season. The board must help him by doing the simple things well and give him a stable environment to work in, otherwise the club will again struggle at whichever level we play at.

Yeah probably right but the big worry is that Dunn obviously can't motivate players so what will be different if bringing in a couple of new lads.

When he took over it was said he just needed a couple of scrappy wins, he got them with C/Field and Mansfield yet from there we rapidly went downhill.

We have 2 options , support Dunn and hope he gets it right or sack him now and get somebody else in whilst there is still time.

I prefer the latter one because i have no confidence in Dunn even with new players.

I have seen nothing from Dunn's tenure that suggest he can turn things round. We have been crying out for an experienced centre half but this has still not been addressed, he has continued to loan in midfielder after midfielder whilst this being by far our strongest area, also worrying is the decline in James Wilson and Joseph Mills from last season. I am not sure if Carl Winchester is in decline as he harldy plays and when he does it is out of position. I am afraid we need to get rid before it's too late.

I'd rather that we had someone else leading us in this battle against relegation, but if we aren't going to sack him now and we're going to give him the chance to bring in a fair amount of players then this is the point that I'd be happy enough to draw a line under the issue and give Dunn the rest of the season.

We either get worse and no one else will have the fair chance to turn it around or we get better and there's no clear need to make a change. There's a fair chance that we'll get relegated but it certainly won't be entirely Dunn's fault if we do and, regardless of whether we are in League One or Two by next July, I expect Dunn to have put in place tangible signs that we are heading in the right direction in order to justify him keeping his job for next season. The board must help him by doing the simple things well and give him a stable environment to work in, otherwise the club will again struggle at whichever level we play at.

It seems it has been decided to stick with him, and it would be unfair to recruit someone with no transfer window, no sense chirping about it. All we can do is what you say. But it will clearly be down to him IMHO if we go down.

He has had time, nearly 9 months.

He has had adequte resources in the players he inherited. Whilst not promotion material, they proved they were not relegation material already, that there are sparks of ability, especially if managed right.

He has been backed with further resources to strengthen in the form of 8 loanees and more players to come, which will equate to a whole new team.

The buck stops with him. He has not helped himself.

I've had upheavals and plenty of bosses, it didn't affect how I did my job serving the public, you just have to get on with it.

True enough. But anyone would clearly perform better with a better boss/atmosphere. We are below par at the moment, as most people would be. Most of the players may well feel as disillusioned as us. You are not going to perform well, just adequately.

Also it depends on what the job (not meaning you specifially). If you just work on a production line doing the same thing day in day out then fair enough, you'd just get on with it. But even then, as with say Car production someone looking at the way it works making it a little better each time can inprove productivity.

If it is more a service type role, where getting you can work with smile on your face and be happy, go the extra mile, not complain in front of the customers, try that bit harder that will immediately reflect in your performance and onto your customers. If you went into a shop each day, and served by the same person, theyd still serve you, but you would know instantly when they are less happy, having a bad day, feel unwell, give surlier service. etc

It seems it has been decided to stick with him, and it would be unfair to recruit someone with no transfer window, no sense chirping about it. All we can do is what you say. But it will clearly be down to him IMHO if we go down.

He has had time, nearly 9 months.

He has had adequte resources in the players he inherited. Whilst not promotion material, they proved they were not relegation material already, that there are sparks of ability, especially if managed right.

He has been backed with further resources to strengthen in the form of 8 loanees and more players to come, which will equate to a whole new team.

The buck stops with him. He has not helped himself.

Absolutely bang on the money! He will have had 40 out of the 46 league games this season if he is still here in May. Add to that...all this bollocks about "give him a transfer window" as though we are a club that needs a transfer window to go out and buy players. We don't...we loan and get free agents in which Dunn has been allowed to do. Add to that...if folk want to say "he needs to move people out before we can get anyone in"...yes, we tried that with Brian Wilson and Forte in the summer and they are still here...so Dunn has the same constraints that Kelly or any other manager would have.

If we go down it is Lee Johnsons fault for blowing the FA Cup last year (which significantly affects our budget the following season), Corney's fault for appointing a man who was deemed not good enough when interviewed in April, Corney's fault for inaction in January when we are staring down the barrel and Dunns fault for not grasping the opportunity to be a manager.

PS I think he will be sacked next week if we lose. Possibly even if we draw and don't look like winning. I feel Corney is giving him once last chance, possibly while he is here from New York. We shall see.....

Edited by boundaryblue80

Dunno speaks!

Oldham Athletic AFC ‏@OfficialOAFC 12m12 minutes ago

Manager @daviddunny8 speaks to the press ahead of Saturday's game with @MillwallFC. Interview available later today.

I wonder who he slags off in this interview. Or maybe it'll just be 4 minutes of blowing smoke up the oppositions arse....

If we have backed Dunn I think he needs to take his 'new' squad on an away day or something to try and act like a mini pre season and build up some trust and respect...put to bed any thing that has been and said the last few months and give everyone a fresh start.

Absolutely bang on the money! He will have had 40 out of the 46 league games this season if he is still here in May. Add to that...all this bollocks about "give him a transfer window" as though we are a club that needs a transfer window to go out and buy players. We don't...we loan and get free agents in which Dunn has been allowed to do. Add to that...if folk want to say "he needs to move people out before we can get anyone in"...yes, we tried that with Brian Wilson and Forte in the summer and they are still here...so Dunn has the same constraints that Kelly or any other manager would have.

If we go down it is Lee Johnsons fault for blowing the FA Cup last year (which significantly affects our budget the following season), Corney's fault for appointing a man who was deemed not good enough when interviewed in April, Corney's fault for inaction in January when we are staring down the barrel and Dunns fault for not grasping the opportunity to be a manager.

PS I think he will be sacked next week if we lose. Possibly even if we draw and don't look like winning. I feel Corney is giving him once last chance, possibly while he is here from New York. We shall see.....

I don't think it's quite that simple...a transfer window allows him to let players move on permanently and guarentee budget that can be used to sign new players permanently we all know the loan system is hit and miss...if his plan is to sell some of our assets and use the money to buy more that makes us better over all he needed a transfer window.

If we have backed Dunn I think he needs to take his 'new' squad on an away day or something to try and act like a mini pre season and build up some trust and respect...put to bed any thing that has been and said the last few months and give everyone a fresh start.

There has been nothing to suggest any bad feeling within the squad though.

We would have heard about it if there was.

We were told everyone was really happy when Holden was in charge.

It was often rumoured a lot weren't very happy under Johnson.

Make of that what you will....

I have heard enough in his slating of the majority of the team to suggest that he needs to back them all once he has finished this cleaning up process...can't have players unsure about whether he really still wanted them here or not come February. Their motivation will be zilch.

I think there has been too much said for that to work. Time will tell.

I don't think it's quite that simple...a transfer window allows him to let players move on permanently and guarentee budget that can be used to sign new players permanently we all know the loan system is hit and miss...if his plan is to sell some of our assets and use the money to buy more that makes us better over all he needed a transfer window.

So the first thing he has done is loan 2 players for 23 days!

And we are a quarter of the way through already.

Edited by singe

Dunn does appear to be clueless and definitely out of his depth. The other problem with him is he seems to shirk any responsibility for what is going on out on the pitch because he's an arrogant sod. They are supposed to be in this together as a group, siege mentality and all that but that doesn't work when your leader just blames his troops. He should be Wrapping them in a cloak and not letting any negativity fester within the squad never mind slating them at every opportunity because they haven't got the skill or nouse to play Barcelona style tica taca possession football with one man up front and win games. Change your style to suit your players has to be a better option than trying to change your squad to suit your philosophy. Even Manchester city with the squad they have and the one man up front being Aguero struggle to play the way Dunn wants his squad to play. Its no coincidence that underdogs Leicester and Watford are doing well in the premiere league and they are the only two sides that play 442. All that said Corney and are board are the ones that have really shafted us with their continued terrible decions.

Dunn does appear to be clueless and definitely out of his depth. The other problem with him is he seems to shirk any responsibility for what is going on out on the pitch because he's an arrogant sod. They are supposed to be in this together as a group, siege mentality and all that but that doesn't work when your leader just blames his troops. He should be Wrapping them in a cloak and not letting any negativity fester within the squad never mind slating them at every opportunity because they haven't got the skill or nouse to play Barcelona style tica taca possession football with one man up front and win games. Change your style to suit your players has to be a better option than trying to change your squad to suit your philosophy. Even Manchester city with the squad they have and the one man up front being Aguero struggle to play the way Dunn wants his squad to play. Its no coincidence that underdogs Leicester and Watford are doing well in the premiere league and they are the only two sides that play 442. All that said Corney and are board are the ones that have really shafted us with their continued terrible decions.

I guess it depends on what the players are really like behind closed doors because on the pitch their performance is often questionable. I have worked at businesses where new leaders have come and consultations taken place in order to shake things up because results were poor, in my experience generally things do then improve...its just a matter of Dunn has very little time to turn things around.

Bell vue dogs maybe!!

I guess it depends on what the players are really like behind closed doors because on the pitch their performance is often questionable. I have worked at businesses where new leaders have come and consultations taken place in order to shake things up because results were poor, in my experience generally things do then improve...its just a matter of Dunn has very little time to turn things around.

When the new leaders came in at the businesses you worked in, how long before things started to improve?

There is normally an upturn with any new person anyway.

He's been here since Sepetember, 4 months. But been here 6 months.

And had the advantage of some time to assess the team as Undercover Boss!

Which most managers in any industry do not get.

Of course, no one expected him to turn us into promotion candidates in such a short time, and a manager making little improvements would need a couple of years in my view, but the simple truth is we have regressed significantly.

Spent his time as undercover boss calling half the team soft :censored:, is it any wonder he can't get a tune out of them now? Regardless if you think he is right or wrong it shows the blokes arrogance that he was calling out players when he wasn't playing any better himself.