New manager being discussed?

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing is we don't have to go through that process, and all the lack of due dilligence crap. We choose to, and it proved inept.

We just have to look at managers records and go for it. Ideally someone out of work, but it could be someone in work equally.

The Kelly saga was just the Board trying to be clever and repeat what turns out to be a fluke they had with Johnson, compunded by the fact their template was wrong. It needs to factor in expereince of managing Reserves or similar if it is a Rookie.

But we would not have that luxury this time so go for the route I suggest.

We should be sounding out potential candidates right now.

Seriously Singe? Who the hell would leave their current job to take over here?

What's worrying me is the volume of players we're letting go of, and that most of them are the better ones.

We may need an entirely new back 5, 2 midfielders and a striker, all in January. How are they meant to gel against established XI's in the space of one or two weeks?

40+ players used over the season? Very likely at this rate. The circus continues.

Can honestly see us finishing bottom of the league.

You and yarddog think you do to be sure. Proves my point really.

You really are a tool... Just because I don't rate the manager and would quite like him to be relieved of his duties does not mean I hold him in anyway responsible for the complete farce Oldham Athletic as a club has become!

You either give him until the end of the season with a window or replace him now........The Millwall game should be irrelevant and is like playing Russian roulette.

Crazy situation for both Dunn and the club and could be why Wellens hasn't committed yet....this just gets more farcical by the minute!!

I keep thinking that and then I look at how unbelievably :censored: Crewe and Colchester are. It'll take some doing.

Crewe are hopeless but Colchester are similar to us. Disastrous management despite a decent team.

Yet we've taken 2 points from 9 against them two.

What's more, both of them sides have shown they can pick up at least a couple of consecutive wins. When your home form is as poor as ours you've got no chance of that.

You really are a tool... Just because I don't rate the manager and would quite like him to be relieved of his duties does not mean I hold him in anyway responsible for the complete farce Oldham Athletic as a club has become!

Really? I don't recall a single thing you've posted which says that. If I've missed it then I apologise.

You're :censored: hot on the personal abuse though.

Really? I don't recall a single thing you've posted which says that. If I've missed it then I apologise.

You said "people wonder why we are :censored:ed"

I took that to mean the club as a whole - not just on the pitch - and "tool" is hardly abusive but I will apologise for that one

Anyone with half a brain can see that Corney not giving a toss and leaving the Chuckle brothers of Joy and Owen in charge of day to business is the main cause of the clubs plight AS A WHOLE

Edited by JWhite101

Your right we've never been in a worse position, I would contend though that the blame shouldn't be laid solely at Dunn's door. You say he's doing a terrible job, results would back that but like others on here have stated, his record stands comparison to Johnson's last 16 games in charge. He inherited a squad that aren't his players and who's attitude and desire are seriously questionable and because he has the honesty to publicly state that, (naively admittedly) he gets slated. Rightly or wrongly he's our manager and deserves the transfer window at the very least to bring in his own players who he feels can improve the team, though I fear his job hangs on the Millwall game, which in itself is ridiculous. If he is sacked where do we go from there? Unless Corney has someone lined up we have the whole process again, advertising the post, conducting interviews while all the time the clock is ticking on the transfer window, or Dean Holden is given the job until the end of the season and player recruitment is back in the hands of Owen and Gee which will be disastrous. I fully respect and appreciate you don't rate Dunn, at least your post was constructive, what gets me are the people who post nothing but anti Dunn rhetoric for the sake of it, distorting every single word he utters and stooping to repulsive personal abuse to suit their agenda. I stand by what I said earlier, there are posters to this forum who will be gutted if he stays and keeps us up and for me they can all do one cos unless the next manager is someone who they approve of we'll get this all over again and it's soul destroying.

You've made some fair points there. The blame doesn't solely lie with Dunn but he has had all but 6 league games this season. He's had 8 loanees also. Sadly he has backed some seriously wrong people in that team and the biggest of all (Cornell) has made him look utterly foolish. All I have wanted to see is some improvement (or even some reason why the last man got sacked in preference) under Dunn. That alone would have warranted him being trusted to change the squad to his taste and shows that he can actually manage players. I have serious doubts that he can. Like these loanees he's had already, I worry that all he is doing is obtaining sticking plasters rather than building his own new squad. I also don't believe some of these players are as bad as he makes out. It feels very much like telling a child they're a bad child then being surprised when they act badly. When you look back at the Dowie years, he had some average players that he made themselves believe they were better than they were like Josh Low and Ernie Cooksey. I can't ever imagine Dunn doing this for any player. But sadly, that is the game at our level with our budget.

I'm not sure if you've read any of my posts elsewhere but after the Crewe and Sheff Utd defeats I afford him 4 games up to the end of the Colchester one. I just wanted a win somewhere in that lot. Coventry, the first half we were completely clueless. Once they had a stonewall penalty turned down, they sat back with half an hour to go and we enjoyed more of the ball but rarely looked like hurting them until the last couple of minutes. Thankfully, their keeper threw one into his own net. Then, the 4 games became 3 once the Blackpool game is cancelled. Against Doncaster, I thought we were better but I'm a results man...I'll watch 46 dire games if it wins us promotion at the end. I did think we were better against Donny and played on the front foot more. Still no points though. That meant he had to win the Colchester game...the sort of game that in past years, we have won like clockwork once it's been imperative. The performance wasn't there but the 3pts were. Until almost poetically, the man Dunn has backed (and in turn, treated a young lad like Coleman badly) threw it away. Then Dunn has the gall to mock a BBC journo who quite rightly points out it's a record 11 home games without a win.

As I say, I honestly hope he turns it around but I think he could have been sent packing before Millwall. I'll have no sympathy if we lose and he does get the chop but for the right result. It can't continue without a change happening.

Seriously Singe? Who the hell would leave their current job to take over here?

Of course some would. Whether they would be good enough time would tell, but some would. Someone with lower on non league I was referring to. But plenty would take a chance.

We sign 3 key players and we could be a much stronger team.

And despite my current opinions about David Dunn, nothing would make me happier than smashing Millwall tomorrow (be nice to see a win for once this season), go on a run, stay up comfortably and for David to stick two massive fingers up at me in May... I just don't think it will happen Edited by JWhite101

And despite my current opinions about David Dunn, nothing would make me happier than smashing Millwall tomorrow (be nice to see a win for once this season), go on a run, stay up comfortably and for David to stick two massive fingers up at me in May... I just don't think it will happen

Fair enough for that comment. Even I don't think we'll stay up comfortably though, 20th will do me nicely.

Why? We sacked him & if the club is run as badly as people would have you believe he'd know and run a mile...

I did say probably. He's on record as saying he loves the club. He's an (Irish) Manc. My feeling is that he'd rather be managing us than Newport for all sorts of reasons.