FT: Oldham 0 Bury 1

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the myth of us having a good midfield going to last all season? Its bloody ineffective-no crosses, little running beyond the strikers, no through balls, no goals.

Jones and Kelly have each scored 1 goal each from open play all season.

It's ineffective in this side, I agree. We've been dreadfully mismanaged and the balance hasn't been struck in the team as a whole.

We've missed the Forte outlet, I'm just worried Shez will play him out of position, like every manager in between him and Johnson has done.

Edited by NewBlue

Its the least :censored: part of our team.

But its the most important. Our defence and Goalie have both been slated for yesterday as we conceeded 1 goal against decent (highly paid) strikers.

We lost only 1-nil and Bury basically stopped playing at half time. List the chances that we created, list the crosses that came in apart from corners. List the shots we had that troubled their goalie. Highlight any through balls for the forwards to run onto.

A Burton reserve player came in and showed them all how to play in midfield. Its the engine room for any team. It is :censored:e

It's ineffective in this side, I agree. We've been dreadfully mismanaged and the balance hasn't been struck in the team as a whole.

We've missed the Forte outlet, I'm just worried Shez will play him out of position, like every manager in between him and Johnson has done.

Forte will score up top if he gets the right type of service-yesterday there was 1 cross came in for him to attack on the ground-it was from Poleon.

Kelly should have scored with the first half header-from a cross by Forte.

We are not going to score many when the 2 best crosses in 90 minutes come from a striker.

BTW I do agree that Forte should be played wide left-we should have gone 4-3-3 at the hour mark!

But its the most important. Our defence and Goalie have both been slated for yesterday as we conceeded 1 goal against decent (highly paid) strikers.

We lost only 1-nil and Bury basically stopped playing at half time. List the chances that we created, list the crosses that came in apart from corners. List the shots we had that troubled their goalie. Highlight any through balls for the forwards to run onto.

A Burton reserve player came in and showed them all how to play in midfield. Its the engine room for any team. It is :censored:e

It's not the number of goals we concede, it's the manner of them. Every team we play knows all they need to do is hit long balls and we'll gift them a goal or two. Then they just need to get everyone behind the ball as they know we don't have the craft outside the box or the presence inside to score.

Forte was played in the wrong position yestrday, during his purple patch he played wide left throughout, even when Jabo came in he played off the left wing, Johnson managed him well, knew where to play him and didn't overplay him, invariably he would get 70 minutes out of him and replace him, for me yesterday he was wasted up against a centrehalf he needs a yard to work with to become effective. I'd of started him wide left with Murphy and Cassidy up top yesterday, Forte/Poleon as a front two being hoofed the ball was never going to work yesterday.

Forte was played in the wrong position yestrday, during his purple patch he played wide left throughout, even when Jabo came in he played off the left wing, Johnson managed him well, knew where to play him and didn't overplay him, invariably he would get 70 minutes out of him and replace him, for me yesterday he was wasted up against a centrehalf he needs a yard to work with to become effective. I'd of started him wide left with Murphy and Cassidy up top yesterday, Forte/Poleon as a front two being hoofed the ball was never going to work yesterday.

If Cassidy is the answer, the question is most certainly relegation.

Murphy at the head, Forte and Winchester on the wings, Palmer-Kelly-Jones midfield. A passing midfield, with invention and industry.

That's the best side we can put out. Shez won't do that because he is rigidly 2-up-top, despite us only having one adequate striker. In that case, we must bring in a big man.

JYM and Addison in at central defence. A nice blend of metal and quality. We'd pick up a few points with that team.

Edited by NewBlue

Worryingly we've had 4 managers since Johnson and we haven't had the usual bonus of the 'new boss' impetus with any of them.

This team would be lucky to stay in the 2nd division never mind the 1st and a massive clear out is needed no matter where we end up!!

Worryingly we've had 4 managers since Johnson and we haven't had the usual bonus of the 'new boss' impetus with any of them.

This team would be lucky to stay in the 2nd division never mind the 1st and a massive clear out is needed no matter where we end up!!

Yes, it should have happened last summer but with so many out of contract it is a chance to start again.

Unfortunately a few of them are playing like they know that.

I don't think I've seen Cassidy win a header in two games.

He's a hinderance for us as long as he's on the pitch, the temptation will always be to play it higher to a guy as big as him, but he has no interest in winning headers.

I can't help but feel a Jabo Ibehre type would keep us up, unbelievable that's he's playing at Carlisle in the league below.

Yes, it should have happened last summer but with so many out of contract it is a chance to start again.

Unfortunately a few of them are playing like they know that.

If we don't win the next two games, we should just play the kids for the rest of the season - there's no point just watching the current first eleven going through the motions until the inevitable.

I don't think I've seen Cassidy win a header in two games.

He's a hinderance for us as long as he's on the pitch, the temptation will always be to play it higher to a guy as big as him, but he has no interest in winning headers.

I can't help but feel a Jabo Ibehre type would keep us up, unbelievable that's he's playing at Carlisle in the league below.

Cassidy attempts to win headers but after watching him side on yesterday he miss times his jump, he jumps a split second too early and is on his way down before the ball arrives, a couple of days with Tony Philliskirk one on one would help him a great deal.

If we don't win the next two games, we should just play the kids for the rest of the season - there's no point just watching the current first eleven going through the motions until the inevitable.

Agree with this 100%, I'd be tempted to include 1 or 2 on Tuesday, some of those starting are a liability.

At one time unwanted players were publicly transfer listed, isn't that allowed nowadays?

Edited by BP1960

Cassidy attempts to win headers but after watching him side on yesterday he miss times his jump, he jumps a split second too early and is on his way down before the ball arrives, a couple of days with Tony Philliskirk one on one would help him a great deal.

He's a 6'2" 22 yr old centre forward with 100 league games behind him. If we're having to teach him how to head a ball is that not a sign that he's developing a bit slowly to be spearheading our fight against relegation? (assuming we start putting up a fight against relegation some time soon)

Forte will score up top if he gets the right type of service-yesterday there was 1 cross came in for him to attack on the ground-it was from Poleon.

Kelly should have scored with the first half header-from a cross by Forte.

We are not going to score many when the 2 best crosses in 90 minutes come from a striker.

BTW I do agree that Forte should be played wide left-we should have gone 4-3-3 at the hour mark!

Lafferty put a ball in and neither of them gambled or attacked the near post.

Poleon just doesn't have the intelligence to make the right run.

There was the point in the second half where Lafferty played a ball through towards the corner and Poleon just stood on the touch line, instead of using his one attribute to make a run in behind.

The most likely times we came to scoring yesterday were from Palmers shot first half that was tipped over Mike Jones free kick which was tipped over and from Liam Kellys header first half so the best chance from 3 midfielders. What efforts did the strikers have on goal?

Burys goal came from a long ball up the pitch nothing special Clarke just made the most of it. Thats the difference all strikers need service but sometimes they have to make the best of the scraps they are given and while the service could be better our strikers have to do more they can't expect the ball to be laid on a plate for them all the time.

The most likely times we came to scoring yesterday were from Palmers shot first half that was tipped over Mike Jones free kick which was tipped over and from Liam Kellys header first half so the best chance from 3 midfielders. What efforts did the strikers have on goal?

Burys goal came from a long ball up the pitch nothing special Clarke just made the most of it. Thats the difference all strikers need service but sometimes they have to make the best of the scraps they are given and while the service could be better our strikers have to do more they can't expect the ball to be laid on a plate for them all the time.

Nobody has answered my question about what the midfielders did to create anything at all for the strikers! There was virtually nothing!

You seem to consistently miss the point when replying or go off on a tangent.

You refer to a shot from outside the area, a free kick and a cross from a striker that was headed wide. All irrelevant to the point that I was making

Nobody has answered my question about what the midfielders did to create anything at all for the strikers! There was virtually nothing!

You seem to consistently miss the point when replying or go off on a tangent.

You refer to a shot from outside the area, a free kick and a cross from a striker that was headed wide. All irrelevant to the point that I was making

Good strikers make their own chances.