Ambitious or Judas

You cannot fault the lad in trying to get to the top whilst his stock is high. He may get relegated with Bristol and struggle or not and struggle before facing the sack again like the pressure earlier this season at Barnsley. Loyalty works both ways - they want to keep him whilst he's doing well but sack him if he doesn't. Both Oldham and Barnsley have profited from Johnson via compensation plus putting both clubs in a better position and with better players than when he joined.

Those slagging him off are just bitter because he jilted us. I still don't buy that he was forcing Evans on the board either.

Not sure Barnsley are better off now than when he joined, he took a top 6 budget team to 24th in the league...

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure Barnsley are better off now than when he joined, he took a top 6 budget team to 24th in the league...

...and then the team clicked and currently sit 12th, six point off a play-off and a cup final at Wembley

Budgets are misleading if you blow on players who don't perform anyway

...and then the team clicked and currently sit 12th, six point off a play-off and a cup final at Wembley

Budgets are misleading if you blow on players who don't perform anyway

Are you for real? Barnsley should always have been top half this season. A couple of players were recruited by the Directors=much improved results.

The Barnsley fans are not at all bothered that he left and are delighted with getting compo!

What I find most surprising with Johnson is that at Latics and Barnsley he had chances of genuine success - Barnsley may well make the play-offs this season and we might have snook into the top 8, which would've been an achievement of arguably greater magnitude.

As it stands, he did a poor job at Barnsley and nothing of note at Oldham. Even though you can understand why he left for Bristol, if he fails there his CV will look :censored:e and his disloyalty will make him unattractive.

Ambitious or Judas

You cannot fault the lad in trying to get to the top whilst his stock is high. He may get relegated with Bristol and struggle or not and struggle before facing the sack again like the pressure earlier this season at Barnsley. Loyalty works both ways - they want to keep him whilst he's doing well but sack him if he doesn't. Both Oldham and Barnsley have profited from Johnson via compensation plus putting both clubs in a better position and with better players than when he joined.

Those slagging him off are just bitter because he jilted us. I still don't buy that he was forcing Evans on the board either.

It was the manner of the jilting, applying for other jobs, and watching their game when he should have been preparing for a match, and the fact he walked at the fist chance when we gave him his first chance

As for not buying the fact he was forcing Evans on the Board, it was clear he was. There is not a shred of evidence he is meek and does as he is told.

It's been confirmed publicly he did since too.

LJ has taken Barnsley to Wembley which will buy him a lot of good faith with their fans. To my mind, failure to reach the JPT final was his biggest failing with us.

The league position he has left them in, however, is certainly nothing to write home about. He repeatedly said during their run of defeats that it was a 3 year project to turn the club around. This is where I think he let's himself down. By making comments like that and then not seeing his own time frame through he makes it sound like it is impossible to judge him. Why, however, would he take on a 3 year project if he never had any intention of seeing it through? As has been mentioned previously he will have no CV to speak of if he is binned off by Bristol.

Edited by Latics and England

It is the fact that he very publicly asked for them to stick with him while they were going through that awful run, they did and then at the first opportunity he buggers off.

They don't seem bothered, he's cocky enough not to care.

Be mildly interesting if Cotterill gets the Barnsley job, not sure if he'd be happy working under their structure though.

I this climate I can't really blame LJ for the way he goes about things. Yeah he's a :censored:, yeah he's got an ego but the quickness that clubs bin off managers for a quick downturn in form breeds this kind.

And whichever way you look at it, he is decent at his job. He showed it with us by keeping us up and leaving us in a healthier position than when he came. He showed it with Barnsley by a trip to Wembley and a crack at the play-offs. He'll probably keep Bristol City up and leave them next season when they're 9th.

I this climate I can't really blame LJ for the way he goes about things. Yeah he's a :censored:, yeah he's got an ego but the quickness that clubs bin off managers for a quick downturn in form breeds this kind.

And whichever way you look at it, he is decent at his job. He showed it with us by keeping us up and leaving us in a healthier position than when he came. He showed it with Barnsley by a trip to Wembley and a crack at the play-offs. He'll probably keep Bristol City up and leave them next season when they're 9th.

This all the way, football management is a cut throat business you are only so many games away from the sack, and while he has yet to achieve anything of any real note he has shown enough potential to entice a bigger clubs higher up to offer him a job and a 3 1/2 year contract. Probably also the club where he is most likely to stick around for and achieve success at, as its where he played and a chairman who he is already close too, who is clearly very ambitious and has the cash to back it up, plus they have a huge catchment area down there and potentially enormous support get their act together and they could easily be pushing for the Premiership.

He left us for a club that was willing to pay him a proper salary. Can't say I blame him, even though the timing was bad for Latics. At the time he alluded to the terrible budget he'd have had if he'd stayed - that appears to have been borne out.

He's left Barnsley for what to him must be a dream job. Again, can't begrudge him that, even if I am a little surprised that Bristol City didn't go for someone with more of a track record.

LJ has taken Barnsley to Wembley which will buy him a lot of good faith with their fans. To my mind, failure to reach the JPT final was his biggest failing with us.

The league position he has left them in, however, is certainly nothing to write home about. He repeatedly said during their run of defeats that it was a 3 year project to turn the club around. This is where I think he let's himself down. By making comments like that and then not seeing his own time frame through he makes it sound like it is impossible to judge him. Why, however, would he take on a 3 year project if he never had any intention of seeing it through? As has been mentioned previously he will have no CV to speak of if he is binned off by Bristol.

Do most fans not look at it all very differently than most owners though?

If he leaves early again for a better job that'll mean he's done something right and left Bristol City in a better position. That doesn't have to be league position it could be leaving behind a few million pounds worth of saleable players....

Edited by HarryBosch

He better be as talented as he makes himself out to be as he's gonna get found out pretty quick in The Championship if he is just blowing smile up everybody's arse.

He's completed one full season as a manager and finished 15th in League One. Not sure how LJ can spin that as "earning his stripes".

Edited by PlayItLivo

He better be as talented as he makes himself out to be as he's gonna get found out pretty quick in The Championship is he is just blowing smile up everybody's arse.

He's completed one full season as a manager and finished 15th in League One. Not sure how LJ can spin that as "earning his stripes".

With us having just had a manager who affected zero change into our side over his 20 games surely you can see that Johnson has got something after turning both us and Barnsley around in different ways with several different styles...?

It honestly wouldn't surprise me to see Johnson managing in the Premiership within a year or two. If he keeps Bristol City up, has a decent start to next season with a couple of the eye-brow raising results he's capable of then I could easily forsee a struggling Premiership team look to someone like him.

I enjoyed throwing all kinds of verbal abuse his way when he returned here for the first time with Barnsley but it was bourne more out of being gutted he'd flitted off to a lover with bigger tits rather than me thinking he was overrated.

With us having just had a manager who affected zero change into our side over his 20 games surely you can see that Johnson has got something after turning both us and Barnsley around in different ways with several different styles...?

But he doesn't stay at a club long enough to achieve anything, it's okay having a team in 10th place primed and ready for a late playoff surge, but you only get the credit for it if you complete that achievement, being a nearly man doesn't quite cut it. For any promising run of form he's had in his career there's always been dreadful, strings of hopeless defeats, he had it with Barnsley earlier in the season and with us from December until a couple of weeks before he bailed on us.

I'm not saying he won't be a good manager or that he won't be a success, but he's needs to start delivering the end results and not abandoning half finished projects.

I'm not saying he won't be a good manager or that he won't be a success, but he's needs to start delivering the end results and not abandoning half finished projects.

On reflection I think it's all part of his strategy. He loves a strategy. Ruthlessly use smaller clubs like us, Barnsley and Bristol to achieve the goals he wants which is a passageway to the big league. It's working so far.

I think when he's gone up another level. To a club genuinely with Premiership exposure then he'll probably have a more long-term plan. At the end of the day clubs like us are a means to his end.