Let's suppose LJ is offered a better job - which of you would turn down the chance of a better job, better money in an area where you've been happy and are well thought of?

His Dad was well thought of. LJ took tonnes of abuse because he was a 'Daddy's boy' who was undroppable.

Edited by palmer1

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plenty of people stay loyal, even when better jobs can be on offer.

Especially when they have been supported to the extent he was.

A fair analogy would be that he failed his [extended would be fair) probationary period, but was still kept on.

Edited by singe

He's got something as a manager.

His ability to create an environment where players underperform for weeks and then turn it round to a tight knitted winning ethic where the sum of it all exceeds the individuals' ability is remarkable.

I wonder if he's bi-polar or has a similar disorder.

If there is one thing we will do well it is harking back to the past.

He got 7 points from 14 matches prior to this winning run, including 9 league defeats in a row. The board stuck by him despite results and the overwhelming majority of fans wanting him out. He has since won 6 in a row, although out of that only Millwall were from the top half of the table I think. Off the back of those wins he may now be getting a job in the division above.
Even if you ignore him being our ex-manager I still think it's an interesting topic about loyalty and whether it should have any place at all. Makes a change from arguing about where money from the johnny machine in the new stand goes to.
If he goes now, will he be given the same amount of support at future clubs if he goes through a bad run again?

I can't believe how much airtime this is getting on our forum. I mean genuinely who gives a :censored:??

What?

Watching Barnsley squirm. Confiming what we said at the time about his loyalty. Hoping they go into freefall. Dare to even hope drop right back into the relegation mire like we did. They are only 11 points clear

What's not to like?!

I am enjoying quite a lot, thank you. And it could help us. And better to focus on that, than all the negativity surrounding us.

Edited by singe

He got 7 points from 14 matches prior to this winning run, including 9 league defeats in a row. The board stuck by him despite results and the overwhelming majority of fans wanting him out. He has since won 6 in a row, although out of that only Millwall were from the top half of the table I think. Off the back of those wins he may now be getting a job in the division above.
Even if you ignore him being our ex-manager I still think it's an interesting topic about loyalty and whether it should have any place at all. Makes a change from arguing about where money from the johnny machine in the new stand goes to.
If he goes now, will he be given the same amount of support at future clubs if he goes through a bad run again?

Indeed! God forbid a message board talk about something Oldham related like a chap who once managed us!

I think Opinions4U sums it up nicely above. He strikes me very much as an up and down manager. For me, he was losing the plot a bit before he left but a couple of wins in Jan/Feb steadied the slide. But he could have had a settle side but instead brought in a player (Daniel Johnson) who was decent but didn't suit his own system. Add to that Paddy Kenny and it :censored:ed everything up. His desire to bring in Ched Evans stuck in the throat (it's since been admitted on GMR that he went back to Corney and asked if he could be brought in) and his efforts in putting his 100-day dossier together while we went on another slide showed the smarmy little git for what he is. I don't ever see him being a manager who builds a decent side and wins a promotion. He's the sort that will do average at a bigger side and after a bit they will get rid when he can't take them to the next level.

How he has blagged himself that job...

He is a salesman of the highest order. Huge job at a wealthy club with big ambitions when he's been largely average/poor at both clubs he's managed in League 1.

Integrity and loyalty were, to me, values he lacked in his move to Barnsley; this one is a bit different, given their fans wanted him gone just a few weeks ago and this probably his dream job. They'll still feel betrayed - he's left them where they started after the owner stuck by him.

How would our fans feel if the Board (I doubt they have the foresight of structure) put out this statement:

http://mobile.barnsleyfc.co.uk/news/article/club-statement-lee-johnson-2939404.aspx

I'd bet that Barnsley will go after Mark Cooper, and I'll be gutted when they get him. He'll get the best out of their players - Johnson has done a :censored: job when you consider the budget he'll have there. He won't be wheeling and dealing at Bristol. Reckon he'll be out of his depth at that level.

Edited by NewBlue

I'll be honest, lads. I miss him...

Got to agree, it was nice going to a game with an ambitious manager that we knew could manage well and give us a chance of winning any game... going to the likes of Bristol City away and thinking you could get all 3 points.

I envy his huge ambitious self, fair crack to him and hope he does well.

How would our fans feel if the Board (I doubt they have the foresight of structure) put out this statement:

http://mobile.barnsleyfc.co.uk/news/article/club-statement-lee-johnson-2939404.aspx

I'd bet that Barnsley will go after Mark Cooper, and I'll be gutted when they get him. He'll get the best out of their players - Johnson has done a :censored: job when you consider the budget he'll have there. He won't be wheeling and dealing at Bristol. Reckon he'll be out of his depth at that level.

It's a good statement that. The club has a clear goal and structure in place and they recognise individuals will come and go so will be planning for continuity. Unlike our scattergun approach to recruitment.