On reflection I think it's all part of his strategy. He loves a strategy. Ruthlessly use smaller clubs like us, Barnsley and Bristol to achieve the goals he wants which is a passageway to the big league. It's working so far.

I think when he's gone up another level. To a club genuinely with Premiership exposure then he'll probably have a more long-term plan. At the end of the day clubs like us are a means to his end.

Not sure he would have got any other Championship job than Brizzle at this time but it's all there for him now, there will be no excuses.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With us having just had a manager who affected zero change into our side over his 20 games surely you can see that Johnson has got something after turning both us and Barnsley around in different ways with several different styles...?

I'm dubious about those who reckon our season under Johnson was just one bit of decent form, but turned Barnsley around? Give over. They've won a few games in a row and are now mid-table with a top 6 budget. That's it.

But he doesn't stay at a club long enough to achieve anything, it's okay having a team in 10th place primed and ready for a late playoff surge, but you only get the credit for it if you complete that achievement, being a nearly man doesn't quite cut it.

It's cut it for him getting the "size" of job he's wanted all along though.

You as a fan are looking for actual success but Steve Lansdowne has probably had him earmarked as a future Bristol City manager since he was a player. And Johnson was probably touting himself as a future Bristol City manager to Lansdowne while he was a player..

He's now seen enough to bring him in and probably wanted to bring him in now before he takes Barnsley up and other, probably bigger, clubs are after him.

Unless you're at the top of the Premier League a club chairman wants to spot a successful manager before he's actually been successful.

If Johnson now feels he's reached a level he thinks is worthy of him he might well stick around and complete something this time. Then again, the cocky little bastard might again be seeing this as his next stepping stone.

Edited by HarryBosch

I'm dubious about those who reckon our season under Johnson was just one bit of decent form, but turned Barnsley around? Give over. They've won a few games in a row and are now mid-table with a top 6 budget. That's it.

They lost a load in a row and they've now won 7 in a row - if that's not a turnaround what is?

They lost a load in a row and they've now won 7 in a row - if that's not a turnaround what is?

They won 8 in a row or something ridiculous when he was first appointed. They then lost 11ish in a row a few months back.

A turnaround presupposes :censored:e beforehand...

They won 8 in a row or something ridiculous when he was first appointed. They then lost 11ish in a row a few months back.

A turnaround presupposes :censored:e beforehand...

If he can sort out the side to his personality that contributes to long runs of :censored:e results he will manage in the top flight.

The "something" LJ had about him was Tommy Wright. We weren't in relegation when Dickov was fired off. There's no saying at all that we would've gone down under him and the side always responded when it headed for 20th place. And did so when LJ arrived and we stayed up. The next season, we started poorly (remember the "we need a bloody nose to start playing" after the Rotherham game) and it took him bringing in Tommy Wright for us to starting firing.

It's going to be very very interesting to see who he appoints as his right hand man because that will be the key to how he does. It reminds me of the Dennis Wise/Gus Poyet team...everyone knew Wise was a bag of :censored: and Poyet was the mastermind. I think he'll fail miserably. Will be fun watching him squirm again...and he won't get away with 9 defeats in a row at Brizzle.

Edited by boundaryblue80

I do think that the malice demonstrated to Loyalty Johnson (at times by myself as well) is mostly due to the fact we all felt we had a manager that could achieve things with the club and moved on before he did.

Barnsley fans are less positive about him, but they have not been as starved of success as we have been and potentially don't feel as desperate. That said the few I know at work seem to think he could have taken them up this or next season and maybe won the JPT.

I find some of his media sound bites hollow the second and third time you here them, but I also think in his position with no affinity to the last two clubs I'd go for a better offer and develop my career and salary. Bristol will be interesting in a few ways - can he do enough to make others think he is a good young manager achieving something a third time? Will his history with the club create some loyalty?