Curtis Main

Can someone explain him to me please? I get Holloway being a bully boy striker and not likely to chip in with many goals, and I see the quality he has, but what does Main do other than run around a lot very slowly? 2 strikers there without a goal between them in 5 appearances. And its Colemans fault...

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed, but people overlook the fact we scored 2 goals against Gills & Pboro and thats the only time we have scored more than 1 in a game since November. We are shocking at creating chances for ourselves, and with Holloways energy and ability to drag defences, we should be finding miles more gaps. Main doesnt do anything at all from what I see to exploit this or get himself in dangerous positions for the relatively small amount of good deliveries per game we put in the box. People are very quick to jump on Colemans mistakes, but with a bit more creativity and willing to take a risk last night we would have been out of site by that point.

I just dont get what Main offers, and would actually like someone to point it out to me!

Coleman is a liability - watching that back from yesterday it is totally inexplicable, and it's been coming for weeks - and so are the supposed strikers.

I'd always thought Main was a winger at Donny so I'm not sure what he's doing up top for us. Poleon or Murphy there for me. They've both got a history of scoring goals in patches. Main has simply never been a goalscorer. Holloway will work and maybe bag a couple, a bit like Ibehre.

Ackey is spot on. It is incontrovertible to not accept he was totally at fault for the goal yesterday while it also undeniable that our strikers don't score enough.

Main's sharper on the ball than most I've seen for Latics this season.

Hes also shown he can get the ball past a man and retain it.

Missed a couple of sitters too. A sign that he knows how to get into the right areas.

He's ok.

Edited by opinions4u

Neither has Poleon.

He goes through forms where he scores and is the most influential player on the pitch, then barren patches when he can't hit a barn door. Have to hope he returns in the former.

When Philliskirk left everybody was lamenting us selling our 'goalscorer', who had one more goal than Poleon in about double the appearances...

Regardless, Poleon has physical attributes that worry a defence and might link with Holloway. Main is okay but Poleon can be very, very effective on his day.

Edited by NewBlue

Forte plays all the games then we stay up, if not then we don't.

I'd be tempted to bring Croft back in on the other flank.

I thought this last night when it wasn't happening for Dummigan. If we have two units up top, (and considering AAH had their centre halves' numbers last night), surely Croft would be a better option on the right.

Forte plays all the games then we stay up, if not then we don't.

I'd be tempted to bring Croft back in on the other flank.

Decent shout re Croft.As good a player as Dummigan is he's been largely ineffective on the right side of midfield in the last couple of games in an attacking sense.Dummigan is better at full back supporting a winger,not in midfield when we're desperate for wins.

I find this quite a tough one

I always think he puts in 110%, highlighted by chasing balls into the corners that really he shouldn't get near but makes defenders play at it which in itself is great play as you retain possession of the ball (generally starting with a throw in to Oldham)

As for his goals record, it isn't great, however we haven't really created too much really and the final ball (other than Palmer's) still isn't good enough. Holloway is a major positive in my eyes yet all a lot of people see is that he hasn't scored so must be crap, people go off stats way too much and don't understand that different players offer different attributes and contribute in different ways

Main, has missed a couple of sitters but with Poleon out injured (I would be interested to see how he plays alongside Holloway!) and the other two not really buying into working defenders hard and making the ball stick up front there isn't really an alternative unless you play a 3rd centre midfielder?

Think he's okay and I tend not to fault players if they give it everything whilst having an Oldham shirt on and Main gives it everything everytime he plays so no complaints from me

Can someone explain him to me please? I get Holloway being a bully boy striker and not likely to chip in with many goals, and I see the quality he has, but what does Main do other than run around a lot very slowly? 2 strikers there without a goal between them in 5 appearances. And its Colemans fault...

I'll happillly explain.....

Main, along with Holloway holds the ball up front which occupies the opponents defence, they stretch the pitch lengthways and out wide which pins back the fullbacks. This allows our fullbacks to push on, our creative maestro Palmer to find space and our holding man Kelly to sit just behind him and do the role he is great at. Our centre halfs, properly marshalled by Gerrard are no longer under constant pressure and the team functions as a unit across the whole pitch

A football team is the sum of its parts and Shez understands that which is why we have gone 7 games unbeaten

If Main was a 25 goals a season striker he wouldn't be on loan to us but he has done a great job and I happily trust Shez on this. It won't be perfect every game, this is league one but the transformation in the last 2 months has been huge.

I'll happillly explain.....

Main, along with Holloway holds the ball up front which occupies the opponents defence, they stretch the pitch lengthways and out wide which pins back the fullbacks. This allows our fullbacks to push on, our creative maestro Palmer to find space and our holding man Kelly to sit just behind him and do the role he is great at. Our centre halfs, properly marshalled by Gerrard are no longer under constant pressure and the team functions as a unit across the whole pitch

A football team is the sum of its parts and Shez understands that which is why we have gone 7 games unbeaten

If Main was a 25 goals a season striker he wouldn't be on loan to us but he has done a great job and I happily trust Shez on this. It won't be perfect every game, this is league one but the transformation in the last 2 months has been huge.

This. The difference between those who watch football and those who really watch football.