Holloway, Main and Palmer

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest nonaenever

Hill would relish doing a job on us - that's for sure - after he was disrespected by some staff members etc. last season. We simply have to make the atmosphere as intimidating as possible and get 'under their skin' and hope they have an off day. By all accounts they have been playing some cracking stuff and totally murdered Bury at weekend. Fingers crossed !

To be honest I thought Palmer had a pretty poor first half, he was caught in possession more than once, but he improved considerably in the second. A real moment of class for the goal.

I just wish Main and Holloway looked like they had a few goals in them, but I suppose if they did they wouldn't be playing L1 football for Oldham!

They may not be a a pop group, but were most Instrumental in tonights win, let's hope they can remain on song against Rochdale on Saturday.

Maybe Fanfare for the Common Man should be the Theme Tune for the rest of the season in their honour. Edited by singe

Hill would relish doing a job on us - that's for sure - after he was disrespected by some staff members etc. last season. We simply have to make the atmosphere as intimidating as possible and get 'under their skin' and hope they have an off day. By all accounts they have been playing some cracking stuff and totally murdered Bury at weekend. Fingers crossed !

I'm looking forward to Gerrard re-introducing himself to Henderson :grin:

I think Hill wants to beat us too much and won't as a result. The scruffy bastard.

We've had plenty of strikers over the years who don't look like they are going to score - Holloway is by far the best of them.

Superb second half. Absolutely brilliant.

Keep saying it - his first touch is among the best I've seen by any player at this level.

For any hold up/physical striker that is crucial.

Wouldn't rule out Shez eeking out the odd goal in him either, if he stays beyond the end of the season.

Keep saying it - his first touch is among the best I've seen by any player at this level.

For any hold up/physical striker that is crucial.

Wouldn't rule out Shez eeking out the odd goal in him either, if he stays beyond the end of the season.

As you say outstanding in his hold up play and lay offs,his main problem is because of what he does well he has his back to the goal most of the time so he's not going to get many shots at goal. May be better to leave him as he is and hope someone can take advantage of his style of play.

Main may not be the most talented footballer, and he's certainly not a goalscorer, but he put a massive shift in tonight. Chased every single ball down and won most of them.

Ignoring sub appearances his scoring record is okay.

His instincts in and around the box look okay.

He's gone pretty close at least once every game I've seen him play.

We've had many less effective this season.

First half was very forgettable, but second half we improved significantly and fully deserved the 3 points in the end.

I thought Holloway was brilliant second half, holds the ball up and links up play really well, I've got to agree that he doesn't look like he's going to score many goals himself, but his overall contribution was excellent.

Main had a good game, he works hard and to me he looks like he will score goals as he gets in goal scoring positions.

I thought Palmer just edges the MotM for me, second half he was the best player on the field and capped it with the goal. He's a really good little player at this level.

Absolutely massive 3 points, and on to Saturday.

Main defending from the front and the hold up play of Holloway are the key ingredients missing for several seasons. Id love to have both on our books. What we lacked was crosses, we had width with tyhe Wilsons and fort but all three forgot how to put a ball in from ther byline ... I suspect with those crosses supplied both Main and Holloway's contribution to goals scored would increase. Great result .. great second half, but, Blackpool were awful, as awful as Ive seen.

That's the Bury who have lost 12 of their last 13 away games

Yes with the one win at -

BP !!!

Didn't realise that was the case, what an atrocious record and depressing that we were the team they beat!

Regarding Main, do Donny have a recall clause? It wouldn't be the biggest loss to our team but it could knock us off our stride if the did take him back.

Don't understand the 'knocking' of Main at all :thumbsdown:

His work rate is exceptional, helping to create space and with it opportunities for other players going forward

His pairing with in particularly Holloway is the most 'aggressive' and positive we have had for some time

Confident that Goals will come from both of them

Don't know how JS got Matt Palmer cos he is the best midfielder we have by a mile

Bringing Holloway Main and Palmer to the Club was a master stroke by JS

Not 'knocking' Main as such. I just wouldn't keep him permanently, or at least I wouldn't target him as a starter.

Holloway is a very astute hold-up player, Palmer is clearly a talented footballer in general, and Main is a workhorse, but if we went into next season with this striking partnership I'd be worried about where we'd finish, because in a combined 14 appearances the two strikers don't have a single goal.

Main might be what we need now, but we want an upgrade on him come the summer if we're to push upwards in this division.

Fair point 'NewBlue' about the longer term

I'm just relieved we have a fighting chance of staying up with the recent three additions

Finally we have a Manager who can not only spot talent but can persuade them to join us :OASISscarf: