Darren Kelly

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All Dunny's fault.

When he was here, Dunn took it upon himself to tell me about Kelly’s last game in charge when he when 2 up top against Peterborough. “I told him when we were working on it [the seam formation] on the Thursday, ‘I haven’t got a good feeling about this’” (with that smirk of his).
Of course, he was right but then it didn’t help that Dunn only decided to put some effort in when it was clear that it was the end & he knew he was next in line for the job. Where Kelly was naïve and probably couldn’t believe that he fell into the job, Dunn was more of a weasly opportunist that had clearly felt during his playing career that he was a class above most on the pitch (which may be a good attribute as a player) but lacked and will always lack the basic intelligence for management.

There is an interesting quote from him in that statement:

"This will be the first managerial role where I have the freedom to select my own backroom staff and playing squad".

How many £10s am I owed now? :wink:

Were you in the know on this all along BP?

Good luck to the guy I wish him no ill I hope he has learned alot from the last 12 months though.

Bobby Robson was sacked from his first job at Fulham before going to Ipswich and being a massive success so you never know.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Next season...? All of it?

If he's sacked at anytime next season I pay up..if he stays till the end of the season or moves to a club higher you pay up.

Edited by BP1960

Wish him well, royally shafted by plenty at our club and effectively set up to fail.

100% correct.

Really don't get this nonsense over Darren Kelly. Everyone spouting what he's done at other clubs since...as though they know the ins and outs (and politics) going on inside them clubs.

I bet Greece thought Raneiri was an utter clueless :censored:bag when his miserable run as manager ended after defeat to the Faroe Islands.

I'm not saying Kelly will go on to be a success anywhere (and I do think he was daft to jump into the following jobs so soon) but I wish him well. It was Dunn who royally :censored:ed us up this season...not Kelly and his hand-tied, set-up to fail 7 games.

Edited by boundaryblue80

100% correct.

Really don't get this nonsense over Darren Kelly. Everyone spouting what he's done at other clubs since...as though they know the ins and outs (and politics) going on inside them clubs.

I bet Greece thought Raneiri was an utter clueless :censored:bag when his miserable run as manager ended after defeat to the Faroe Islands.

I'm not saying Kelly will go on to be a success anywhere (and I do think he was daft to jump into the following jobs so soon) but I wish him well. It was Dunn who royally :censored:ed us up this season...not Kelly and his hand-tied, set-up to fail 7 games.

I have nothing against Kelly but I can't convince myself he's is anything but a clueless idiot and his record since leaving Latics certainly does nothing to suggest otherwise.

100% correct.

His appointment set us back months, we didn't get a proper team on the pitch until November time.

My god. We were absolute garbage and his sacking was only a matter of time before we even kicked a ball. Clueless recruitment, having lied about contacts allegedly leaving the board to make signings (including Dunn), and clueless tactics. It says a lot about League One that we were able to get way with it for the first few games.

So you admit Dunn was making Kellys signings then, I seem to recall Dunn being on the playing staff at the time so tell me how that one works, like I've said all along Kelly was a dead man walking, he brought Harvey in and he was removed, Holden was his right hand man but couldn't wait for his pal Dunn to take over the reigns, it was a :censored:ty situation made even :censored:ter by those conspiring against him, as for the football we played better football than we did under Dunn could of won at Walsall, Bury and Colchester and the wheels only really come off when the players jacked it in at home to Bradford and Peterborough, I agree at that stage he had to go but you can't blame him if you say he had little influence.

Looking back I just think Kelly had no knowledge of how to do the key elements of the job, having not seen it as a highish level player or experienced as say an assistant management, and without an experienced helper. I mean, we all know more about football than anyone else but how do you actually go about the summer recruitment process? I haven't a :censored:ing clue.

The wheels had well and truely fallen off by the time Kelly was sacked and it looks very much like he was dealt a :censored:ty hand. That Dunn couldn't make it any better with 6 signings says all we need to know about his talents.

Thank :censored: this season is over.

The blame for the :censored:ed up start to this season goes solely to our board. No-one else.

True.

Kelly and Dunn weren't good appointments even without hindsight, Dunn maybe slightly better on paper. They should both take their share of the blame for the state that the club was in at the turn of the year, but the terrible decision making from the board was the main reason that we were in such a predicament.

Thankfully they pulled off a masterstroke getting Shez in which has nearly made up for it.