Darren Kelly

I think Darren Kelly's major failing was his personality. He reportedly couldn't impose himself on the training ground, and just about every single player wasn't motivated on matchday to play at their maximum level. The few games when we seemed really up for it that I saw, were the first day at Walsall, the charged atmosphere at Bury, and first game in ages against Wigan. And in those the motivation came from the atmosphere.

There were other noticeable things lacking or missing from his stewardship, but that's the main one for me.

Nice guy by all accounts like. Some day a song will be written called The Ballad Of Darren Kelly...

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By that logic the credit for staying up goes solely to our board. No-one else.

That'd be like congratulating the Captain of the Titanic for saving a couple of lives thereafter.

They deserve some, very small amount of credit for finally making a decision just in the nick of time.

That'd be like congratulating the Captain of the Titanic for saving a couple of lives thereafter.

They deserve some, very small amount of credit for finally making a decision just in the nick of time.

Probably more like congratulating a Captain for getting a ship back on track after getting it lost..

Terrible metaphors aside, while it doesn't seem to be the done thing to give the board any praise, we can't blame them totally for Kelly/Dunn's failings and then only credit Shez for turning it round..

Probably more like congratulating a Captain for getting a ship back on track after getting it lost..

Terrible metaphors aside, while it doesn't seem to be the done thing to give the board any praise, we can't blame them totally for Kelly/Dunn's failings and then only credit Shez for turning it round..

You can when Simon Corney openly told OWTB member "Pukka" at last season awards that David Dunn was just a chancer that didn't have a clue...then appoints Kelly...then appoints Dunn as his replacement.

Wonder if the Hyde job will be back up for grabs by August when Kelly hasn't signed anyone and the Directors have to. ....

What odds Shez then, he's linked with every other sodding job...

Kelly has said he has the opportunity to build a team this time,some of his signings will surprise a few.

He will have a decent budget at Hyde to work with.

I must have missed it, did he sign those on long term deals?

Got a bit of 'inside' on DK haven't you BP? Since he replied to your emails last summer, you've been a bit of a supporter on the quiet haven't you? Fair play to you. If you've built up a rapport with him and like the man then fair enough.

I must have missed it, did he sign those on long term deals?

No but he gave two of them a big portion of our pre-season game time (at the expense of others) long after if was apparent that they weren't good/ fit enough.

Think once he'd exhausted his extensive contacts book/ Twitter feed he was only in a position to make one long term deal:"This is another great signing for the club in terms of going forward." Connor Brown will now be with us until July 2017.

Edited by Twisbrogan

No but he gave two of them a big portion of our pre-season game time (at the expense of others) long after if was apparent that they weren't good/ fit enough.

Think once he'd exhausted his extensive contacts book/ Twitter feed he was only in a position to make one long term deal:"This is another great signing for the club in terms of going forward." Connor Brown will now be with us until July 2017.

Don't know if I prefer the Connor Brown soundbite, or that he posited Bolton would be challenging at the top of the Championship for the upcoming season. They finished 19 points from 21st place.

Clearly you're hiding that monies being offered to potential signings were a pittance (in relative footballing terms.) One trailist being angered at wasting 2 weeks with us once being offered a third (£500/wk I think was the figure quoted) of what had been discussed originally and went to the Chron about it. Whether you think that is right or wrong of the club to pay what it feels...that leaves the manager with his hands tied right behind his back. Let's not let these things get in the way of a good old Kelly bashing though.

Edited by boundaryblue80

Got a bit of 'inside' on DK haven't you BP? Since he replied to your emails last summer, you've been a bit of a supporter on the quiet haven't you? Fair play to you. If you've built up a rapport with him and like the man then fair enough.

I have put him in touch with some connections, he's never said a bad word about the club, just wants to build his own team from scratch now.

• 3 weeks later...

Hyde fan here. Can someone give me a precis of what exactly was the problem with Kelly? Out of his depth? Too nice? What?

He was cheap!

And out of his depth he shouldn't have been given the job we thought we had a rough diamond in coaching terms but he simply wasn't ready for a job at this level.

He was a little bit creative with his CV as he claimed to have contacts but it became quickly apparent he had none and we struggled to sign players and he had to have players bought for him. It became quickly obvious we had appointed the wrong man.

Hyde fan here. Can someone give me a precis of what exactly was the problem with Kelly? Out of his depth? Too nice? What?

Quite a lot of things really. Not everything was his fault but there were enough things wrong with him that he deserved to be sacked so early in his time here.

To name a few things:

Lack of contacts for recruitment.

Promised more than he could deliver (I.e. attractive attacking football).

Weak minded tactically, see the Peterborough defeat that ended his reign.

Not PR savvy at all. #legend.

The easiest CV to pick holes in that you could imagine.

Most people within the club seemed to think that he was a decent coach and a decent guy and he was hung out to dry by the board, but he clearly wasn't a good enough manager for this level. Good luck to him at Hyde but he's far from guaranteed to be a success as a manager.