Matty Palmer Recalled

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Burton go up, it will be a tough decision for him.

Championship football playing against the best of the rest, or third division football playing against the rest past their best

Will we have more chance of getting him they go up or stay down?

You can argue it both ways - he might risk being back up again if he'll ultimately get a go in the Championship whereas he might want to leave rather than be used sparingly in League One again.

Or Burton might promise him he'll be a starter in League One but surplus to requirements in the Championship...?

Or, worse still, he may have no intention whatsoever of coming back here regardless of where Burton are...

Would just like to thank everyone @OfficialOAFC. Players,Staff and Fans have been brilliant with me and I've absolutely loved my time there!

Good luck for the rest of the season and keep moving up that table. Thanks for all your messages #oafc

I doubt he'll play much for Burton this season because he doesn't fit in with their current style i.e. bypassing the midfield. They've probably recalled him to make up the numbers.

However, that isn't Clough's usual style of play. It's what he inherited and, probably wisely, decided not to change this season.

I wouldn't be surprised if he changes to his more favoured passing style in the close season. If that's the case, Palmer could find himself an integral part of a Championship team.

Will we have more chance of getting him they go up or stay down?

You can argue it both ways - he might risk being back up again if he'll ultimately get a go in the Championship whereas he might want to leave rather than be used sparingly in League One again.

Or Burton might promise him he'll be a starter in League One but surplus to requirements in the Championship...?

Or, worse still, he may have no intention whatsoever of coming back here regardless of where Burton are...

All true. Especially the last paragraph.

I doubt he'll play much for Burton this season because he doesn't fit in with their current style i.e. bypassing the midfield. They've probably recalled him to make up the numbers.

However, that isn't Clough's usual style of play. It's what he inherited and, probably wisely, decided not to change this season.

I wouldn't be surprised if he changes to his more favoured passing style in the close season. If that's the case, Palmer could find himself an integral part of a Championship team.

Also all true.

One thing is for certain, Palmer has options.

He does know that he will walk straight back into this team as first name on the sheet should he return.

Losing Choudurey was the kicker for Burton and as all the windows are slammed shut, recalling Palmer was Clough's only viable option.

Edited by L1onheartNew

I hope he does. When I watched him in the Burton game, he looked like he never quite had the ball under control. Looked like all the confidence had been coached out of him. From what I have seen of Palmer, he has time to look up, down, left, right, read a book and the ball never looks like leaving him. Reminds me of a combination of the composure of Shez with the energy of Danny Wilson

He's a good player and he's been a vital part in our revival but I'd say you're ever so slightly overdoing it there.

Really disappointed with this news.

Palmer has become an integral part of a team in a very short period of time. Rarely flashy, but he almost never gives the ball away no matter how much under pressure he is when he receives it, and this has helped our confidence as a team. The three reasons we have improved recently are:

1) More organised defence. Gerrard's influence, but think now has managed to influence the rest to the extent they are all better players.

2) A midfield that holds on to the ball - Palmer's influence. We have to hope that he has done the same as Gerrard in terms of improving those around him (Burton away was arguably one of our best displays in terms of possession)

3) A forward line that bullies defenders and holds the ball up - This was the Holloway / Main impact, and actually I think we look better with only one of them playing (not an individual criticism but just gives the team more balance).

I do think that (1) and (2) can be maintained by our own players (in the case of Palmer, Winchester looks the obvious candidate based on Burton game). I'd be more worried if we had lost the Main/Holloway player - don't see anyone in our squad even close in terms of these abilities.

Ooh Matty Palmer - you would be welcome back anytime.

2) A midfield that holds on to the ball - Palmer's influence.

Winchester on song holds onto the ball better than anyone else in the squad now Palmer's gone. Although Palmer did give us a bit more solidity than Winchester will. But Winchester is more likely to score a goal.

As long as he's half the player he can be for the last 6 games we'll be fine....

I wouldn't be surprised to see Brian Wilson in there too at some point, especially if Jones isn't 100%. That wouldn't be pretty but it could be just what's needed to get us over the line...

More to do with the fact that he's the best midfielder we've had in years. He was exactly what we needed, when we needed him and we are a worse team without him.

Best midfielder in years? He's good but I don't think so. May well turn into a better midfielder than any we've had on our books though.