If Evans is now found not guilty at retrial would you be ok with us signing him?

If Evans is found not guilty would you now sign him?  

174 members have voted

1. 1. If Evans is found not guilty would you now be OK with us signing him?

• I would and I would have done last time round
    • I was against it last time round but would be OK with us signing him now if not guilty
    • I was against it last time and I still wouldn't want us to sign him
    • I was for it last time but wouldn't want to sign him if now (you never know?)

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm against him joining us for many reasons but mainly there's just too much baggage with him now, finally there's a air of good feeling around Latics again and this could potentially shatter it as it did before. And secondly, in pure footballing terms I doubt after missing so much football he'd be any good anyway.

It's just not worth it for me.

It would be best to avoid any further association with Evans, regardless of what happens at retrial. We'll always be seen as the club who wanted to sign him as a convicted rapist.

Correct that will always be the case anyway and will not ever change. So why not try and sign him now? Will make no diffrence to us bein the club who tried to sign a man who was wrongly sent to jail for a crime he didnt commit*

*as it stands we tried signing a victim of a miscaridge of justice.

He did what I suspect most people would do and protested his innocence because he knew he was not guilty. He got stick for not saying sorry. Would any of us say sorry for a crime we didnt commit? As thats an admitence of guilt?

Fair play to the bloke he has stood his ground and no looks like he is going to have a re trail that will aquit him of the crime.

Looking at it from a purely footballing point of view, I don't understand the clamour of some to sign him? 1 good season 4 years ago with no football since then. As well as his fitness, what about his mental state? Would he be ready for pro football straight away?

Given our budget we couldn't afford to take a punt on that.

Then when you factor in all the baggage it really isn't worth it at all.

It would be best to avoid any further association with Evans, regardless of what happens at retrial. We'll always be seen as the club who wanted to sign him as a convicted rapist.

I think the association with us and Evans ended and I think to a large extent it will be and has been forgotten about. I doubt anyone will not sign for us now or in the future because we attempted to and in the end backed out of signing Ched Evans these things get forgotten about in time.

I've said I'm not against it further up the thread having thought about it it's probably best to avoid him lpoking at the bigger picture. Their are plenty of other strikers/players out their in our price range who could be great successes for us its just a case of us knowing our Jamie Vardy's from our Joe Colebecks.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Out of curiosity is there a scenario where Evans could end up back in prison? Say the retrial goes against him, could the judge impose a longer sentence than the previous one resulting in Evans having to go back to prison to serve the difference?

Yes.

But I would say it's a tiny bit more likely than Latics winning this season's Champions League.

Out of curiosity is there a scenario where Evans could end up back in prison? Say the retrial goes against him, could the judge impose a longer sentence than the previous one resulting in Evans having to go back to prison to serve the difference?

Yes.

But I would say it's a tiny bit more likely than Latics winning this season's Champions League.

Actually, no. Sentence on retrial cannot be longer than original.

Para 2 of: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/19/schedule/2

So they can't give him longer than what he first got, and considering he's fully served his original time, he can't go back to prison.

Edited by josh_latics

No - can't impose a longer sentence. Only if had been appealed as unduly lenient first time round. It wasn't.