Who Stays? Who Goes?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure it says much for the boy wonder Winchester that Croft has been picked ahead of him in there...

Been injured the last 2 games that's why croft got the nod. Didn't deserve to get dropped today so winch isn't picked. Good management not to disrupt a winning team!

I think we'll see last seasons Winchester next season when shez gets hold of him in pre season and gets his confidence going again!

Edited by super_blue

He wont! He has stated on several occasions he doesn't want be. 'With all due respect to club it's not where I want to be'.

He will go to the highest bidder and I do expect him to play at Boundary Park next season but it won't be for us unfortunately.

I hadn't realised that his championship level days are over he's a league 1 player. Maybe Bolton might be a destination.

Been injured the last 2 games that's why croft got the nod. Didn't deserve to get dropped today so winch isn't picked. Good management not to disrupt a winning team!

I think we'll see last seasons Winchester next season when shez gets hold of him in pre season and gets his confidence going again!

What an absolute pile of crap. Can you please stop making excuses about a player who has a heart the size of a pea.

If you expect Shez to bring him back to any sort of level that you might have imagined him to be at ever, then you are simply living in a dreamland.

Last season's Winchester was very average but if that floats your boat so be it but dont expect others to fall for that crap!

Now that we are mathematically safe I would hope for a couple of the squad to be offered contracts this week.

COLEMAN being first and the Deing option being taken up.

I always hate being a few weeks out from the start of a season with half a team still to buy

What an absolute pile of crap. Can you please stop making excuses about a player who has a heart the size of a pea.

If you expect Shez to bring him back to any sort of level that you might have imagined him to be at ever, then you are simply living in a dreamland.

Last season's Winchester was very average but if that floats your boat so be it but dont expect others to fall for that crap!

Winchester has barely featured in any home games for months because of the pitch. Fairly obvious that one & fairly obvious why. I've heard we can fully expect him to play a big part under Sheridan next season.

Better than Philliskirk though

Croft was able to slim down for the start of last pre-season, he should be able to do so again if playing for Shez has rekindled his enthusiasm.

Think Gerrard would come back to us if no Championship teams come in for him.

I'm clinging onto the fact that Palmer still has an Oldham photo as his Twitter picture and also the fact that if all Burton players were fit he wouldn't be getting a game but Corney has said there's a lot of interest in him already.

Personally I'd be after getting Campbell-Ryce to play on our right wing, he's out of contract as is Tommy Rowe who captained Posh in the championship, got injured at Wolves and has started to hit form on loan at Doncaster for his old gaffer Darren Ferguson. He's from Wythenshawe so might want to be local, he'll be on big money though.

Croft was able to slim down for the start of last pre-season, he should be able to do so again if playing for Shez has rekindled his enthusiasm.

Think Gerrard would come back to us if no Championship teams come in for him.

I'm clinging onto the fact that Palmer still has an Oldham photo as his Twitter picture and also the fact that if all Burton players were fit he wouldn't be getting a game but Corney has said there's a lot of interest in him already.

Personally I'd be after getting Campbell-Ryce to play on our right wing, he's out of contract as is Tommy Rowe who captained Posh in the championship, got injured at Wolves and has started to hit form on loan at Doncaster for his old gaffer Darren Ferguson. He's from Wythenshawe so might want to be local, he'll be on big money though.

Ive never understood the fascination with Campbell-Ryce. He has played for several struggling league one clubs and seems to have pace but no end product. We have seen enough players like him over the years, in fact one made a substitute appearance today.

Gerrards distribution isn't good enough to play in the championship.

If he goes there will be plenty of good solid centre backs available, Shez will have already identified who he wants within our budget.

I tend to agree with super-blue on this one. Certainly not 'an absolute pile of crap' in my opinion.

Has Winchester done something to you? Has he ran over your dog?

You have a distinct dislike for the lad. And I Don't think many people tend to agree wth you!

Edited by super_blue

Let go: Brown, Mills, Croft, Murphy (presumably he doesn't wanna be here), Cornell, Cassidy. Possibly Turner, maybe Jones - depends if Shez can get his best from him.

Dieng and Gerrard centre back pairing would be excellent. One of the Burnley lads at full back would be excellent, but can't see that. THD take or leave. Main obviously has earned a contract, so has Holloway, who I'd like to see start next season as our lead man. Forte has played well enough to get one recently, still think Poleon has a future here too. Winchester needs to pick his bollocks up soon or else he's gonna waste his talent. Can't see Kelly being here by August, either.

Of our current lot:

Coleman

Dummigan - Dieng - Gerrard - Lafferty

Poleon/new winger - Palmer - Kelly - Forte

Holloway - New striker

That'd be a challenging side at this level next season.

Tricky one. Sheridan's loan players have all made an impact, so if possible I'd try to sign them. But the players who were awful under Kelly/Dunn have drastically improved (notably Coleman/J.Wilson), so I'd be tempted to keep as many of that squad together as possible to keep the momentum going. Add a couple of wingers/wide midfield players to mix it up, and I think we'll be a hard team to beat next season.

I can't see Liam Kelly staying - similar to Korey Smith in that he can easily do a job higher L1/lower Championship. Same goes for Gerrard, but we said that last season and he ended up at Shrewsbury playing for free.

Apparently Shez was quoted yesterday as saying "next season I'll have a squad of 21 players that will get us into the play-offs or even automatic promotion"

.... it may well be Shez's tongue in cheek, droll humour but perhaps he's earmarked his targets, set out his recruitment plans with Corney and has already started this. Fingers crossed he completes early in the summer so we hit the ground running. Reassuring to have a manager who is focussed and hopefully not swayed by who comes onto the market - he knows who he wants and hopefully Corney gives him a budget to succeed.

Then again I remember Shez the last time stating early signings, it dragged on and we signed Molongo (or whatever his name was) on the eve of the season start and the bloke was :censored:e!

Brutal but If we're looking to avoid yet another Relegation Scrap these are my thoughts:

Both Forte and Poleon have had more than enough time and are injury prone - Out

Cassidy, Murphy and Turner simply not strong enough - Out

Thiele offers nothing at all from the few times he has played - Out

Look to retain / sign both Aaron Holloway and Curtis Main

Coleman has been excellent in recent games and definitely should be retained / signed

Brown and Mills are not good enough - Out

Both B Wilson and J Wilson whilst having some decent performances are prone to errors - Out

Not sure about Holmes-Dennis as he looks decent going forward but weaker as a defender

Gerrard has made a real difference at the back and Dieng is much improved so we should try and retain / sign

Edmundson is worth more time as is Dummigan

Midfield needs a massive sorting out

Would be great to get Matt Palmer back but he wont be leaving Championship Football in a rush

Kelly should still get in the team

Like Lee Croft and he has done well the last few games but keeping him must be conditional to him improving his fitness

Jones for me has struggled all season and Carl Winchester except for the odd game is too weak against the better teams in the League - Out

Saying all that, am confident JS will 'weave his magic' and get us in that top 10 next season but even he can't be expected to do it without significant player changes

Brown and Mills are not good enough - Out

Think Brown will stay as a squad player. Surely he knows if he leaves, that no L1 team will give him a chance.

As for Mills, I've always rated him. Decent defensively and supports going forward. But there's been 2 or three managers that have brought in their own loan replacements, so something must be wrong there. Although if he left, I could see him getting a chance in L1.

I read a few times that Jones should be released...

Granted this hasn't been his greatest season but he has obviously been carrying a injury from which he hasn't fully recovered. He can play any position within the midfield and pops up with important goals as well as a threat from free kicks in shooting range. He was also excellent the season before. Getting rid of him could come back to haunt us

Edited by palmer1

I read a few times that Jones should be released...

Granted this hasn't been his greatest season but he has obviously been carrying a injury from which he hasn't fully recovered. He can play any position within the midfield and pops up with important goals as well as a threat from free kicks in shooting range. He was also excellent the season before. Getting rid of him could come back to haunt us

Agree. Worth keeping for me!

Has Winchester done something to you? Has he ran over your dog?

You have a distinct dislike for the lad. And I Don't think many people tend to agree wth you!

I merely respond to points made by his 'fans' when they come up with more and more excuses.

Can you remember that poll which resulted in 85% saying that we would win more points with him in the team than without him? Didnt work out that way did it?

Croft has been selected in front of him on merit for 3 successive matches now, 2 of which were away on decent pitches

Several managers have tended to agree with me and in truth that is all that really matters. He will be here next season in the squad because he is cheap

Tricky one. Sheridan's loan players have all made an impact, so if possible I'd try to sign them. But the players who were awful under Kelly/Dunn have drastically improved (notably Coleman/J.Wilson), so I'd be tempted to keep as many of that squad together as possible to keep the momentum going. Add a couple of wingers/wide midfield players to mix it up, and I think we'll be a hard team to beat next season.

I can't see Liam Kelly staying - similar to Korey Smith in that he can easily do a job higher L1/lower Championship. Same goes for Gerrard, but we said that last season and he ended up at Shrewsbury playing for free.

Agree with most of this.

Shez has produced playoff form with these players after inheriting them at their lowest ebb and , therefore, will want to keep as many of them together as possible.

That said it doesn't seem like it would be the end of the world if any one player other than Gerrard moved on as it really has been a team effort. Main stood out for a few games, as did Holloway, Palmer & Kelly but not one single player has been head and shoulders above the rest for more than 3 or 4 games here and there.

Players will undoubtedly move on and I imagine Sheridan will be pretty relaxed about this as long as we get decent money if it's someone like Kelly or if it's freeing up a big wage in the case of maybe Forte or Croft.

It'd be ideal if we could move Mills, Brown, Cornell, Cassidy, Turner & Murphy on and keep the rest.

I think Holloway will stay, Main I'm not so sure. But I think Shez will want to sign a dependable goalscorer & a clever midfielder (preferably a goalscoring one like Gary McDonald) first and foremost - Palmer would be great, if not I can see an experienced old head maybe dropping down from the Championship or a season long loan from there or the Premier League...

Or someone like Kevin Nolan?

Or will Winchester become that player given a Shez pre season?

I think he'd "swap" Kelly for a Wellens (first time round) type given the chance..

I wonder of there's any chance of bringing Baxter home? :grin:

Or Taylor?

I reckon Shez'll think he can get something out of Poleon & will keep him provided he isn't on daft money.

Forte we should keep too. He can frustrate at times but really can deliver when just half on song...

Obviously we need a left back on a permanent deal or loan.

Right back we're fine although Dummigan again would be great, albeit unlikely.

That said, if Burnley have farmed him out while they're a Championship club they shouldn't need him if they go up....

I've got a feeling Gerrard will stay..

He'll want to keep Brian Wilson at the right price, and James.

Not sure what will happen with Jones. Something's not right and he's one of the few who hasn't really rediscovered previous good form under Shez. That said, on song, he largely fits the bill of that clever midfielder with a goal in him that he likes....

So might Tuohy...

I say this most seasons but I hope we have a quiet summer with just 3 or 4 quality signings....

Edited by HarryBosch