The Play offs league 1 and 2

...... Im whacking a tenner on Bristol Rovers going up next year.

3 promotions back to back would be some achievement.....

I've got a mate who is a Gas fan.... he said the sigh of relief and non exuberant celebration after they returned to the league at the first attempt was tangible. Apparently they all sat in a pub and had a quiet somber reflective pint.

Sent shivers down my spine.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wimbledon away could be a popular one any of our OASIS/London contingent been?

Yep, went last season with a mate to watch a thrilling 0-0 against Wycombe. The ground is half way between New Malden & Norbiton stations on the Kingston line from Waterloo. It's on the edge of a residential area with very little else around it, although the sports club at Kingsmeadow serves beer with home/away fans mixing & spilling into the car park. It's not dissimilar to Crawley for those who've been there.

There's a decent boozer a short walk from Norbiton Station, called the Norbiton Dragon, which had a beer garden out back that would be ideal for a pre/post match gathering early or late on in the season. It also knocked out some decent Thai food. It's probably about 15/20 min walk to the ground. Other than that, the alternative is to head into Kingston which is just up the road and go to one of the many bars along the Thames.

Some places we go to it matters not whether we play them in Aug or Jan..... if Wimbledon make it, you'd want good weather.

Edited by lookersstandandy

The idea of AFC v MK must fill Winkleman with dread, and highlights that besides a nice quarter full stadium and one season in the Championship he hasnt taken the club anywhere. All this time and all those millions and AFC are one game away from being at the same level, the story is a great one.

The idea of AFC v MK must fill Winkleman with dread, and highlights that besides a nice quarter full stadium and one season in the Championship he hasnt taken the club anywhere. All this time and all those millions and AFC are one game away from being at the same level, the story is a great one.

Although I will never agree with the way that MK got it's club, I do think that Winkleman hasn't done too badly in his time.

He has gradually built the support based around great facilities and a strong family club bias. They should drop the 'Dons' from their name though.

Who did Murray think was as good?

You would have to ask him mate.

I often wonder whether that line is delivered when the true meaning is, we'd love to sign him but team below us in the pyramid is asking for more than we can afford, which we'd rather not admit, cos you'll all go spare we can't compete financially with [include team name].

In recent seasons, when we have had a look in non-league, I can recall the following;

Matt Smith, Free.

John Paul Kissock, Loan

Amari Morgan Smith, Free.

Rhys Turner, was that £20k?

...of which only one was successful and only towards the end of his 2 year contract meaning we didn't renew it and he left for nowt.

I'm still not convinced the Rhys Turner who bagged 2 against Dale at home season before last won't make a go of it somewhere, but I guess you have to surmise his efforts at York weren't worthy of a new contract.

Maybe Halifax wanted much more than £20k for both Vardy and Gregory when we were sniffing about?

Edited by lookersstandandy

Halifax wanted 100k for Gregory, we very nearly signed him in the January but it was deemed too much of a risk, to think we gave similar money for Poleon just about sums our luck up in the striker department.

Some call it luck. Others call it ineptitude.

Halifax wanted 100k for Gregory, we very nearly signed him in the January but it was deemed too much of a risk, to think we gave similar money for Poleon just about sums our luck up in the striker department.

....one would hope Shez/Shirtliff would say to the board, if you don't want to take the risk that fine but I'm saying, I wanted to sign him but we couldn't agree a price, instead of he's no better than Jake Cassidy/Rhys Murphy/whoever else might be contracted at the time.....

Some call it luck. Others call it ineptitude.

.....that's all well and good with hindsight of course.... but I bet you couldn't have said with any certainty that the Lee Gregory at Halifax was any better/worse than the Dominic Poleon at Leeds, at that point in time.....!

Luck or bad judgement?

I don't think slating our recruitment is particularly accurate tbh. If you made a combined team over the past 4 or 5 years you'd blitz this division.

Obviously money and the decisions of those above is the issue. Think Kelly has been the only manager for a while who has recruited badly, yet we still manage to be :censored:e season-on-season.

In 2013 the 24yo Lee Gregory could have been signed for nothing as he was out of contract, its all about spotting them early enough to get a real bargain.

Luck or bad judgement?

I don't think slating our recruitment is particularly accurate tbh. If you made a combined team over the past 4 or 5 years you'd blitz this division.

Obviously money and the decisions of those above is the issue. Think Kelly has been the only manager for a while who has recruited badly, yet we still manage to be :censored:e season-on-season.

Didn't Kelly recruit the now Premiership bound George Green?

In 2013 the 24yo Lee Gregory could have been signed for nothing as he was out of contract, its all about spotting them early enough to get a real bargain.

Of course - but every other club was in the same position and didn't pounce . There was a general shared belief that he wasn't good enough .