A soleless football club

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a bad trend, but Shez's side was composed of loads of loanees and there was something about it which was relatable. Arguably the players who've had the biggest cult followings in the past years have been short-term: Harkins, Baxter, Main.

Everyone would like to have players who dedicate themselves to the club but I suppose it's clearly beyond just the length of contract - it's more about the actual collective. Given they change year on year, once you get a reasonable attachment you've got a new manager with new ideas and new faces. With a few exceptions it's often the manager who is the identity of a side.

The only way to achieve long term stability on the playing front is to start way below your objective and work toward it together. Leicester, Swansea and Southampton are examples of this.

With us if a player does well he's off at the first opportunity. So the only long termers are grafters who most people wouldn't have as first choice anyway.

The club does well on the family front by all accounts.

It's biggest failing is the lack of direction. I'd like to hear a proper strategic vision from the board. With plans in place to move the club forward. Or, specific goals to make us an attractive prospect for sale.

I absolutely agree with you regarding Mouldy Old Dough, to me it was synonymous with Oldham Athletic and Boundary Park. It should be played before every home game, always.

Regarding the 25th anniversary, although I agree that something should have been done to celebrate it, TBH anything costs money and we are extremely skint as usual, so I suspect any expense was money that we just don't have.

It could easily have been used as an opportunity to raise a little bit of money, or at least break even, if it was a ticketed event.

It's a bad trend, but Shez's side was composed of loads of loanees and there was something about it which was relatable. Arguably the players who've had the biggest cult followings in the past years have been short-term: Harkins, Baxter, Main.

Everyone would like to have players who dedicate themselves to the club but I suppose it's clearly beyond just the length of contract - it's more about the actual collective. Given they change year on year, once you get a reasonable attachment you've got a new manager with new ideas and new faces. With a few exceptions it's often the manager who is the identity of a side.

Its funny how its so much easier to relate to a team that win games and peforms or fights on a consistant basis like Shez's team than it is to a team for instance under Dean Holden who although an ex coach and players at this very club couldnt win for toffee.

Both Oldham Athletic...

Edited by palmer1

The only way to achieve long term stability on the playing front is to start way below your objective and work toward it together. Leicester, Swansea and Southampton are examples of this.

With us if a player does well he's off at the first opportunity. So the only long termers are grafters who most people wouldn't have as first choice anyway.

The club does well on the family front by all accounts.

It's biggest failing is the lack of direction. I'd like to hear a proper strategic vision from the board. With plans in place to move the club forward. Or, specific goals to make us an attractive prospect for sale.

Agree with this.

However, we won't get a long term vision/plan for OAFC from the current regime, simply because they don't see a long term future for themselves at the club.

Their strategic vision is to recoup their initial investment in the club. And their plan to deliver that is to keep things ticking over in the short term, with minimum investment in the football side of the club, until they either manage to sell at an acceptable price or recoup their investment in other ways e.g. selling houses / the OEC.

I agree with the 25 year anniversary point. I can't believe something wasn't done to recognise this. Disgraceful, really.

The trust did have irons in the fire, hence the announcement after Roger Palmer with regards to magic in May. Westy was the nearest to it when I posted the original thread. We were hoping to get 4 key players in on an event, Joe Royle, Andy Barlow, Neil Redfern and John Sheridan. The date we had planned meant JR could not attend as he was going to an Everton event and then we were proposing other dates, Everton sacked their manager and Joe took over the reigns and instead we had a trust oldham end of season dinner last Saturday with a scoreboard fundraiser instead.

It was not for trying....we hope to have a more varied events next season so watch out for further announcements

The trust did have irons in the fire, hence the announcement after Roger Palmer with regards to magic in May. Westy was the nearest to it when I posted the original thread. We were hoping to get 4 key players in on an event, Joe Royle, Andy Barlow, Neil Redfern and John Sheridan. The date we had planned meant JR could not attend as he was going to an Everton event and then we were proposing other dates, Everton sacked their manager and Joe took over the reigns and instead we had a trust oldham end of season dinner last Saturday with a scoreboard fundraiser instead.

It was not for trying....we hope to have a more varied events next season so watch out for further announcements

Appreciate the efforts, and the reply! But this should have been in the pipeline for a long long time. The club should have been arranging since last year with as many of the squad involved as possible. A huge event that could have been ticketed to cover costs, as has been said, and really showcased the new facilities.

You all do a lot of great work, but it shouldn't have to fall to volunteers to organise something like this in their spare time. The marketing/events team who are employed to do this sort of thing should have had it sorted out a long time ago. Instead an important anniversary of a huge moment in our history passes unacknowledged.

Can't afford Mouldy Old Dough. Performing Rights Society put the bill for playing it up to £3900 from £700 in 2009.

I didn't realise that.

RIP Mouldy Old Dough you will never be heard again at BP.

Surely there is an opportunity to sponsor that, despite the fact some don't approve.

The price might have dropped by now!

Maybe we could start a campaign for the price to be dropped! I'd imagine the artists have some say.

Surely there is an opportunity to sponsor that, despite the fact some don't approve.

The price might have dropped by now!

Maybe we could start a campaign for the price to be dropped! I'd imagine the artists have some say.

I'd imagine the artists in this case are 6 foot under.

Nah.

Royalties are free 70 years after they die..

But it was only recorded in the early 70's.

It may have been the early 70's, but they didn't look the youngest group on Top of the Pops if I recall correctly.

I'm sure someone on here will know if they are still standing.

Nah.

Royalties are free 70 years after they die..

But it was only recorded in the early 70's.

Still going strong, and blogging when it is played.

We can do this.

They are quite near my Dad, he may know someone who knows someone!

They highlighted it being played with LAtics on their Facebook page, crewe away

https://www.facebook.com/LieutenantPigeon/?fref=nf

Still going strong, and blogging when it is played.

We can do this.

They are quite near my Dad, he may know someone who knows someone!

They highlighted it being played with LAtics on their Facebook page, crewe away

https://www.facebook.com/LieutenantPigeon/?fref=nf

We could get them to do the HT entertainment next season perhaps.