Burgess signs on six month loan

Indeed. We have no idea how we're going to do. The squad is still being built and has played one friendly. How anyone could read anything into bookies' odds is beyond me.

For the past few years the bookies have had Latics pegged around 17/18th, which is where we usually finish. Of course, they're wrong sometiimes but if they weren't right more than they were wrong, they wouldn't make as much money as they do. I'm not saying we're definitely going down, just that I don't think it's overly negative to predict that we will.

I see fewer dead certs for relegation this season than I did last season.

Colchester and Crewe were always gonners, and in hindsight Blackpool were always fighting an uphill battle, even if they had a bit of money.

17th or 18th this season, as dour as it would be, might not be a bad finish. I can't see many teams I expect us to finish above as a matter of course.

For the past few years the bookies have had Latics pegged around 17/18th, which is where we usually finish. Of course, they're wrong sometiimes but if they weren't right more than they were wrong, they wouldn't make as much money as they do. I'm not saying we're definitely going down, just that I don't think it's overly negative to predict that we will.

Hardly got it right about our new manager though .Several others were odds on favourite at one time or another.

Near relegation zone last season, hardly any players this time last week - easy to think we could go down

But it isn't going to happen - quote me ?

Looking at all the teams I couldn't say with any confidence that I would really fancy us to finish above any of them.

Walsall were a bigger price a few weeks ago but 11/2 seems ok when you look at the players they have lost.

Conversely, how many teams can you say with any confidence will definitely do well?

I'm getting my money on a top 12 finish. Been trying to look for outright handicap betting, we should start with the highest handicap meaning a decent season could mean ££££

If you find that bet let me know I'm interested in a few bob on that

I see fewer dead certs for relegation this season than I did last season.

Colchester and Crewe were always gonners, and in hindsight Blackpool were always fighting an uphill battle, even if they had a bit of money.

17th or 18th this season, as dour as it would be, might not be a bad finish. I can't see many teams I expect us to finish above as a matter of course.

Given our summer has not been too dissimilar to Blackpool's last year, with dramatic late changes to squad and staff, you can understand why we're seen in a similar light. Equally I fancy a lot of the other struggling sides around the league will look at that turmoil and think we're "always a gonner" this year too.

I don't subscribe to that thought exactly, I've been impressed by Robinson, but you can objectively see why we appear to be right in the :censored:.

Bookies don’t get things right or wrong; the whole point (not always achieved but obviously more often than not) is for them to turn a profit whatever the result.

With a market for League 1 at this stage the cash being “invested” will be minimal and doubtless they will adjust their odds after they see a few bets, probably after turning down the opportunity to lay any which would put them at significant risk.

For example there was much squealing a month ago when the bookies apparently got the Brexit vote “wrong”. They didn’t – the bulk of their clients (measured by cash rather than numbers) did and what the lazy commentators failed to spot is that bookies odds do not operate on the one man one vote principle. Ladbrokes were reported to have made a £200,000 profit on that market which doesn’t strike me as the consequences of getting it wrong.

Sheff Utd have been the scratch team for the last 2 years on the handicap betting , but as Dave said bookies don't get it right or wrong .

They either make a profit or loss (or break even) and they just produce a book to show liabilities or profits on each individual runner.

Odds will then be changed to reduce liabilities or encourage further betting on a particular runner etc , hence their name - bookmakers.

I think we are slightly better off than Blackpool this time last year that said if we go into the season with this squad now we will be down by Christmas. If we sign the 6 key first teamers I expect us to sign then we should be around that 15-19th position mark come May 2017. I was hoping their was either a handicap or staying up odds for us we will be worth a small punt on that.

Gordon "Steve - what brought about the move for Cameron Burgess?"

SR "Well, my office stank of whisky & rotting Venky's chicken bones from the previous managers so I was having a good tidy when I came across a print out of an email that Darren Kelly had been doodling pictures of men in balaclava's on......."

We need a best post of the season thread :first:

Bookies don’t get things right or wrong; the whole point (not always achieved but obviously more often than not) is for them to turn a profit whatever the result.

With a market for League 1 at this stage the cash being “invested” will be minimal and doubtless they will adjust their odds after they see a few bets, probably after turning down the opportunity to lay any which would put them at significant risk.

For example there was much squealing a month ago when the bookies apparently got the Brexit vote “wrong”. They didn’t – the bulk of their clients (measured by cash rather than numbers) did and what the lazy commentators failed to spot is that bookies odds do not operate on the one man one vote principle. Ladbrokes were reported to have made a £200,000 profit on that market which doesn’t strike me as the consequences of getting it wrong.

As my dad was fond of saying , you never see a bookie going to work on a bike.

Bookies go bust because they take a chance in order to make higher profits. Once people start betting and if enough people lay bets on a particular event the odds can be adjusted to ensure that the bookie makes a profit. It is one off bets and large bets which cause them problems but a prudent independent will lay off the bet with a larger firm unless he thinks or decides to risk it on his belief that the event will not take place.

We aren't going down this season. The management team are building a decent squad and as long as they have learnt the Connor lesson all will be well.