A Big Thank You - Well Done and if......

Guest nonaenever

Guest nonaenever

I now honestly believe our first choice team is good enough for at least a top 10 finish - and IF we manage to steer clear of injuries to some key players might even be play- off contenders. Simon Corney has had his critics (and rightly so on occasions) but there seems to be a real desire now to do something as opposed to treading water. Well done to all concerned. Ladapo, Dummigan and a real powerful showing by Osei - it's getting quite exciting.

There remains a nagging doubt about some of the "back-up" players but, hopefully, work can be done on the training ground to get them improved.

We will get 6 points from the next 2 home league games - perhaps then, just maybe, some of the stay-aways will then start to drift back. I hope they do - we need all the paying support we can get.

C'mon Latics !

Guest nonaenever

Top 10? Not even Bacharach and David could get us top 10. 12th to 15th.

Our first choice defence/keeper (Millwall aside) has been very impressive indeed. We were just missing something "up front" (as hard as McKay and Erwin were working). Anyone who saw Ladapo and Osei on Tuesday will know they have frightening potential and will scare some teams to death. They are big, powerful and quick - what we've missed for a long time. As I said injuries could play a big part but, avoid them, and this will be our best season for ages.

Guest nonaenever

and your point is ???

Mr Corney has sorted things out - did appoint a director of football - and provided funds to recruit. I said some of the criticism was right at times but I am humble enough to also give credit when and where it's due

There'll be a lot of clubs saying that in this tight division - I've been generally impressed by the standard of signings by clubs this summer, most with a better claim than Latics - but Robinson has impressed so far and if he can continue to elevate this team beyond its parts you never know.

We have a solid spine, which we badly lacked last season and there are also some players who I think we've not yet seen the best of: Mckay, Banks, Flynn, Mclaughlin, Winchester perhaps.

I still believe we're missing some midfield creativity, though, as it stands.

Edited by NewBlue

There'll be a lot of clubs saying that in this tight division - I've been generally impressed by the standard of signings by clubs this summer, most with a better claim than Latics - but Robinson has impressed so far and if he can continue to elevate this team beyond its parts you never know.

We have a solid spine, which we badly lacked last season and there are also some players who I think we've not yet seen the best of: Mckay, Banks, Flynn, Mclaughlin, Winchester perhaps.

I still believe we're missing some midfield creativity, though, as it stands.

There's the forgotten signing, winger Jahraldo Martin.

Edited by BP1960

SC deserves credit at long last for the appointments made during the summer even though it may have seemed we were going to start the season without a manager or even a team.Steven Robinson has brought in players the majority who look like they will run through walls for each other and barring injury the 1st eleven look solid.The latest additions will add to that and Ladapo and especially Osei adding pace and directness up front I don't think we'll be far away come May

Only seen us play at home at have been optimistic at what I've seen. Like previous posters have put, there is a different vibe around this team, they seem more dogged and determined and willing to fight back/track back when they lose the ball.

I'm starting to like the underdog tag, with some bite I hope.

Only pissed off I'm going to miss the next two home games..damn family holiday tut.

I think the club has done a great job, especially given where we were only a few weeks ago. I reckon we could be 2-3 short of a play-off squad (another experienced cb, left footed wide mid and an experienced cf), but that's fine tuning. To get this coaching team and then this squad together is actually very impressive.

and your point is ???

Mr Corney has sorted things out - did appoint a director of football - and provided funds to recruit. I said some of the criticism was right at times but I am humble enough to also give credit when and where it's due

That sometimes there's a bit of grey. We've gone from being the laughing stock of football (nonsense) to play off candidates (unlikely) in what, eight weeks? Our joint top goalscorer is own goal (singular) and the strikers you mention have never scored a league goal. I am encouraged by what I have seen so far this season but it's more likely that we're just about doing OK.

Edited by jsslatic

That sometimes there's a bit of grey. We've gone from being the laughing stock of football (nonsense) to play off candidates (unlikely) in what, eight weeks? Our joint top goalscorer is own goal (singular) and the strikers you mention have never scored a league goal. I am encouraged by what I have seen so far this season but it's more likely that we're just about doing OK.

OK is a massive improvement and one should give credit where credit is due. (If we should ever have been in the position we were is still debatable though!)

Shez situation was of Shez's making. The evidence on players suggests Corney wanted a total clear out and Shez wanted far too much to replace them. Think longer term Robinson has all the makings of a better manager. Just hope he sticks around long enough to make it happen.

Whats the score re Sean O'Dricoll... full time DOF or something else reading mixed messages.

He's just a coach. It's all he wants to do at this moment in time.

Sheridan wanted a bigger wage, Corney said that's fine - we can pay you that bigger wage but it'll come out of your pay packet. Sheridan left, simple.

How are Newport getting on anyway Shez? Least your accounts looking healthy hey.

Not sure what Newport has to do with anything?

Some people are getting awfully carried away. An example - Osei looked good on Tuesday but we did lose to a League Two side, conceding five in the process. I think Robinson has something about him (but I always worry that any manager who catches the attention of other clubs will be off before we know it) and I think he's got some decent players in the squad, along with a lot of average ones. Only three are contracted beyond the end of the season.

I'm hopeful that we can now make some progress but it's premature to suggest we already have and I worry that expectations of top six are setting Robinson up for unfair criticism.

The signs are positive, predicting a playoff challenge though is very premature, we're not the only team who've signed good players.

My favourite part of this season is that the two games I've been to, Northampton and Bury, I have really enjoyed. And I can't say I've looked forward to going again for quite a few years, but I do want to go on Saturday finances permitting. We could still :censored: out. Only time will tell.

Edited by PlayItLivo