Tommy Wright Bung Allegations

I've got no sympathy for him either. Even if this is the only time he's ever "done" something like this. The little nothings they've filmed him saying and his apparent nervousness suggest it might be.

But if the Telegraph tried something similar to this with 10 people from any walk of life 3 of them would probably stupidly take the bait (and the money).

No mention that I've seen that they were tipped off that Wright or Hasselbaink were at it.

How is this journalism? They're creating news & scandal rather than simply reporting on it.

Have you seen that series of The Wire where the journo makes up his stories - how is this different?

It's not telly - and the Telegraph didn't do a similar exercise with ten people from any walk of life - it's irrelevant. The reporting is justified on the basis that there's a bloke employed by the Football Association - at the very top of team management - who is offering advice on how to circumvent its very own rules. Is it not in the public interest? Clearly it doesn't stop with this idiot either - Gill had sufficient leave of his senses to employ him.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reporting is justified on the basis that there's a bloke employed by the Football Association - at the very top of team management - who is offering advice on how to circumvent its very own rules.

There wasn't "a bloke employed by the Football Association - at the very top of team management - who is offering advice on how to circumvent its very own rules". Had there been I'd agree with you that the reporting was justified. It would have been "investigative journalism" as they'd been tipped off there was something to investigate.

There wasn't anything to investigate, they've dreamt up and created two situations where Allardyce & Wright have SUBSEQUENTLY stupidly dropped themselves in it.

I don't dispute they deserve everything they get but I don't get how so many are so comfortable with this type of journalism.

That said Allardyce is a wealthy man and will be absolutely fine.

But it might well be life changing for Wright. I'm uncomfortable with that if he's never been involved in this kind of thing before. If he has though, he deserves what he gets...

What next - entrapping the next Adam Johnson? Where do you draw a line?

Edited by HarryBosch

Nothing I've read or watched suggests that was the case....

No, I've seen nothing in the public domain to suggest it either, but clearly the Telegraph had some information that led them to believe McGarvey and Palino were up to dodgy stuff. They'd not have wasted time and money investigating them if that wasn't the case.

They didn't need to target the football people. They knew that the agents would lead them to the people willing to get involved.

My point is that there is a high probability that McGarvey went to Tommy with that proposition because he was confident he'd be up for it on the basis of previous dealings with him.

No, I've seen nothing in the public domain to suggest it either, but clearly the Telegraph had some information that led them to believe McGarvey and Palino were up to dodgy stuff. They'd not have wasted time and money investigating them if that wasn't the case.

They didn't need to target the football people. They knew that the agents would lead them to the people willing to get involved.

My point is that there is a high probability that McGarvey went to Tommy with that proposition because he was confident he'd be up for it on the basis of previous dealings with him.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3812607/Scott-McGarvey-lose-license-agent-faces-FA-probe-following-Sam-Allardyce-scandal.html

But surely there is a difference between facilitating it yourself and being led there? If the telegraph hadn't set him up would it have ever happened?....temptation is nigh with every human being it's all part of being human and money is the root of evil apparently. For every action there is a reaction it's the first action though that starts the chain events. And to me it was done through the Greed to sell papers with total disregard to anything or anyone else. They have set people up to fall they haven't caught them in the act they have created the act and managed the environment and from there have provided the platform for them to fail....it's all stage managed. A trap! Telegraph is lower than a snakes belly.

I strongly suspect that they just set out to prove what they already knew.

There wasn't "a bloke employed by the Football Association - at the very top of team management - who is offering advice on how to circumvent its very own rules". Had there been I'd agree with you that the reporting was justified. It would have been "investigative journalism" as they'd been tipped off there was something to investigate.

There wasn't anything to investigate, they've dreamt up and created two situations where Allardyce & Wright have SUBSEQUENTLY stupidly dropped themselves in it.

I don't dispute they deserve everything they get but I don't get how so many are so comfortable with this type of journalism.

But it might well be life changing for Wright. I'm uncomfortable with that if he's never been involved in this kind of thing before. If he has though, he deserves what he gets...

So by that comment, I assume you have a major problem with journalists (or even police for that matter) posing on the internet as paedophiles in order to catch some of the most vile and dangerous abusers out there?

Great to see the art of some Latics fans defending the indefensible is still alive and well.

So by that comment, I assume you have a major problem with journalists (or even police for that matter) posing on the internet as paedophiles in order to catch some of the most vile and dangerous abusers out there?

Great to see the art of some Latics fans defending the indefensible is still alive and well.

I suppose I did go off on a tangent there but not quite as big a tangent as yours...

Where have I defended either of them? They (probably) deserve whatever they get, I just struggle with the fact there were no stories until the Telegraph created them. Adam Johnson was a bad analogy but, there's allsorts they could do if the public are happy with this brand of journalism.

What's fair game and what isn't?

It was a ten-month investigation, and the series of interviews were the culmination of those efforts. For me, this is a perfect example of investigative journalism. This wasn't some one-off fishing trip.

Don't forget that the common denominator is McGarvey.

It was a ten-month investigation, and the series of interviews were the culmination of those efforts. For me, this is a perfect example of investigative journalism. This wasn't some one-off fishing trip.

You don't need to investigate if you have already managed how it's going down.

So over a 10 month period of the whole of English football they have found only 3-4 that would atleast entertain/be prepared to walk into the trap of taking a bung. No sympathy for those caught but it would suggest the majority of football is comparitively clean unless more revelations emerge?

The Telegraph are not going to print all that they know in one edition are they? Plus there might be the legals too.

There were investigations 10 years, incredibly Lord Stevens found no evidence.

So over a 10 month period of the whole of English football they have found only 3-4 that would atleast entertain/be prepared to walk into the trap of taking a bung. No sympathy for those caught but it would suggest the majority of football is comparitively clean unless more revelations emerge?

They would only have the resources to expose a few, many more will be very nervous as a result.

Well, why not? I'm in favour. Pervert.

Clearly there was something to investigate. Corrupt tendencies. An old dinosaur who's been suspected of dodgy deals in the past but who's always avoided being caught. He's bent and now he's finally been nailed. The greedy bastard. Same goes for the others. The Telegraph (which i actually dislike) has simply revealed a problem, and this might well be the tip of the iceberg.

It beggars belief that Allardyce is actually bemoaning being 'trapped.' Knob! You shouldn't have done it!!!! He's not been trapped by the forces of evil. Talk about deflection and delusion. His actions ARE the problem. Same with FIFA. Another bunch of bastards who use football to line their own pockets. Ultimately, the fans are the ones being ripped off and the game we love is being abused.

Guest Stanley30

Would love to get him back at the club working with the young lads. Cracking coach and top bloke. Made a balls up but come on, we nearly sign ched Evans and jumped at Lee Hughes.