Tommy Wright Bung Allegations

Shooting fish in a barrel with the kind of investigative reporting that I'd expect a GCSE student to be able to pull off. You don't have to look hard at all to find clubs bending & breaking rules over payments especially the bigger clubs & younger players. That this nation of curtain twitchers chooses to be alarmed at this end of it shows how out of touch people are with how football works.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shooting fish in a barrel with the kind of investigative reporting that I'd expect a GCSE student to be able to pull off. You don't have to look hard at all to find clubs bending & breaking rules over payments especially the bigger clubs & younger players. That this nation of curtain twitchers chooses to be alarmed at this end of it shows how out of touch people are with how football works.

And how out of touch football is with basic decency.

I don't have any sympathy. I found one of the most distasteful things about the Allardyce affair his statement that entrapment had won, implying that he didn't really take responsibility for any of it. It's their willingness to engage in this :censored: that's put them where they are. The greed, especially in Big Sam's case, is incredible.

But surely there is a difference between facilitating it yourself and being led there? If the telegraph hadn't set him up would it have ever happened?....temptation is nigh with every human being it's all part of being human and money is the root of evil apparently. For every action there is a reaction it's the first action though that starts the chain events. And to me it was done through the Greed to sell papers with total disregard to anything or anyone else. They have set people up to fall they haven't caught them in the act they have created the act and managed the environment and from there have provided the platform for them to fail....it's all stage managed. A trap! Telegraph is lower than a snakes belly.

:censored: him the way he celebrated with Barnsley on his return with Lee Johnson .....Karma

Yeah lets set him up, film it and ban him from the game because he celebrated his team scoring a goal in front of fans who had been hurling abuse at him!

Thats not :censored:ing Karma!

If the telegraph hadn't set him up would it have ever happened?

One of life's great philosophical quandaries.

In the circumstances of Allardyce, he knew the rules - it went through at least one exploratory meeting and he had many opportunities to back out of it. He was willing to go through with the deals. This man is at the top of the chain in English football, the top job - pinnacle of English football's excellence (even if you agree with that description or his appointment or not - it's the truth) - he knew better, and with all the warning signs in place - he still went for it.

Ok, it is entrapment but you have to ask why these people were targeted and it's likely because they've all done it before and got away with it.

The Telegraph found out these agents were dodgy so went to them with the fictitious but potentially lucrative proposition.

You can bet with such potential rewards on offer, it was the agents who led them to their 'trusted' people in football - i.e. people they could trust to do what the 'investors' wanted and take a bung for it, because they'd done it for these agents before.

One of life's great philosophical quandaries.

In the circumstances of Allardyce, he knew the rules - it went through at least one exploratory meeting and he had many opportunities to back out of it. He was willing to go through with the deals. This man is at the top of the chain in English football, the top job - pinnacle of English football's excellence (even if you agree with that description or his appointment or not - it's the truth) - he knew better, and with all the warning signs in place - he still went for it.

Exactly. It was reported last night that Allardyce's own agent advised him not to atrend the second meeting, but he decided to go anyway.

Shouldn't they (Allardyce and co) be sacked for being corrupt then? How would we ever know but for these sting operations regardless of why they are undertaken? Would those crying about "entrapment" feel better about it if it was Scotland Yard performing such operations instead? Or would they too be sly for doing it? I would imagine the general public would rather their resources went elsewhere in crime fighting tbh.

I can't understand anyone feeling sorry or excusing what has gone on by taking aim at the journalists involved. Indeed, it was journalists who took on FIFA and led to the FA going after Sepp Blatter and co. Didn't see anyone on here having a problem with that then. I smell hypocrisy lol.gif

If you'd never seen anything like that before in the course of a long career there's no way you casually take £5k as a bung. You'd smell a rat and run a mile. It's clearly not out of the ordinary, at least for those who fell for it

Yep. I think it's pretty clear from the videos that this was nothing new to the people involved. And Wright's "just put the money there" and not looking at it, isn't the act of a man who thinks he's doing nothing wrong.

But surely there is a difference between facilitating it yourself and being led there? If the telegraph hadn't set him up would it have ever happened?....temptation is nigh with every human being it's all part of being human and money is the root of evil apparently. For every action there is a reaction it's the first action though that starts the chain events. And to me it was done through the Greed to sell papers with total disregard to anything or anyone else. They have set people up to fall they haven't caught them in the act they have created the act and managed the environment and from there have provided the platform for them to fail....it's all stage managed. A trap! Telegraph is lower than a snakes belly.

He obviously thought it was for real or else he wouldn't have continued, in other words the Telegraph were just posing as the real thing.

Well done to them trying to root out the greed in football today.

Ok, it is entrapment but you have to ask why these people were targeted and it's likely because they've all done it before and got away with it.

The Telegraph found out these agents were dodgy so went to them with the fictitious but potentially lucrative proposition.

You can bet with such potential rewards on offer, it was the agents who led them to their 'trusted' people in football - i.e. people they could trust to do what the 'investors' wanted and take a bung for it, because they'd done it for these agents before.

Absolutely and you would have to argue why Tommy Wright in particular he's small fry. Is this seasons :censored: storm about to go down?

So what if it's entrapment? Why should they be defended because they didn't know they were being filmed? They were willing to do these deals, so they should accept getting caught (unlike Allardyce's 'entrapment has won' comments which suggests he's only sorry that he's been caught),

I didn't see anyone trying to defend Cristian Montano when he was caught in exactly the same circumstances.

Tommy Wright, Tommy Wright, Tommy, Tommy Wright

He took a bung, and then got stung

Serves him f*cking right

BTW. Latics long since gone to sh*t, the game in crisis. Last season was the first in 31 years I could not even be arsed going to one single Latics game.

Off to Meadow Lane tomorrow with the boy to hopefully see Shezza's 'Pies slap-down the Shrimpers. Might be fun. Best manager in the bottom two divisions, for me. Also strangely gratifying to see Tommy's mate - the turncoat, Lee Johnson, doing so well at his spiritual home, Bristol City.

The soul of football is beating a swift retreat to the lower end of the football leagues and the non-league. All the rest is fluff and corruption.

I do care, and yet, somehow, I don't.

Pass me another beer, Maureen ...

Tommy Wright, Tommy Wright, Tommy, Tommy Wright

He took a bung, and then got stung

Serves him f*cking right

BTW. Latics long since gone to sh*t, the game in crisis. Last season was the first in 31 years I could not even be arsed going to one single Latics game.

Off to Meadow Lane tomorrow with the boy to hopefully see Shezza's 'Pies slap-down the Shrimpers. Might be fun. Best manager in the bottom two divisions, for me. Also strangely gratifying to see Tommy's mate - the turncoat, Lee Johnson, doing so well at his spiritual home, Bristol City.

The soul of football is beating a swift retreat to the lower end of the football leagues and the non-league. All the rest is fluff and corruption.

I do care, and yet, somehow, I don't.

Pass me another beer, Maureen ...

Sheridan. Now there's a very close friend of Tommy's.

I don't have any sympathy. I found one of the most distasteful things about the Allardyce affair his statement that entrapment had won, implying that he didn't really take responsibility for any of it. It's their willingness to engage in this :censored: that's put them where they are. The greed, especially in Big Sam's case, is incredible.

I've got no sympathy for him either. Even if this is the only time he's ever "done" something like this. The little nothings they've filmed him saying and his apparent nervousness suggest it might be.

But if the Telegraph tried something similar to this with 10 people from any walk of life 3 of them would probably stupidly take the bait (and the money).

No mention that I've seen that they were tipped off that Wright or Hasselbaink were at it.

How is this journalism? They're creating news & scandal rather than simply reporting on it.

Have you seen that series of The Wire where the journo makes up his stories - how is this different?

If you'd never seen anything like that before in the course of a long career there's no way you casually take £5k as a bung. You'd smell a rat and run a mile. It's clearly not out of the ordinary, at least for those who fell for it

Do you not think he seems a bit ill at ease in the video footage?

No mention that I've seen that they were tipped off that Wright or Hasselbaink were at it.

How is this journalism? They're creating news & scandal rather than simply reporting on it.

Have you seen that series of The Wire where the journo makes up his stories - how is this different?

The Telegraph knew that the banned agent and Scott McGarvey were both at it. That was the story. Poor Tommy got dragged into it....awwwww